Adding my own ground anchor to the street.

Council wont do it, and having got a nice bike id rather keep hold of while at work, realistically what can the council do if i install my own ground anchor to the street?

Lies flat so no problem for cars.  I doubt they’d even notice. And for the sake of £80 even if they do dig up the road to get rid of it it isn’t the end of the world.

They won’t notice, but some busybody will.

Beware … of ground services
You can find 11000v cables 6-8 inches below surface … gas pipes 6 inches

Cable tv 3 inches

You will be prosecuted for not having a permit to dug under the new street works act and liable for any remedial and future repairs/defects

If it’s in a bike bay, I can’t see anyone objecting but you run the risk of another bike parking over it - even if you leave a lock in it as a “towel on a deckchair”.

I parked my bike chained to a lamp post for a year in UB6, none of the neighbours, nor any passing council workers, had a problem with it.

On a practical note, you probably won’t get a good fixing into tarmac. Do a bit of googling, but most of the fixings seem to be designed for drilling into and anchoring in concrete.

Plus you will be liable for insurance purposes in the event of an incident

In my area the parking enforcement signs are a popular choice for chaining to. Most of the neighbours are really good at leaving them free.

Beware ... of ground services You can find 11000v cables 6-8 inches below surface ... gas pipes 6 inches Cable tv 3 inches You will be prosecuted for not having a permit to dug under the new street works act and liable for any remedial and future repairs/defects TimR
Not according to UK Power Networks ECS 02 0019 http://library.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/library/en/g81/Installation/Cables/ECS+02-0019+Installation+of+Underground+Cables+-+LV+to+132kV.pdf

All 11 and 20kV cables shall be installed to the following minimum depths, whether they are
laid direct or installed in suitable ducts:

• Footways, grass verges or private property = 600mm;
  • Carriageways (including road crossings) = 750mm;
  • Normal agricultural land (not subject to deep ploughing) = 1050mm;
  • Agricultural land subject to deep ploughing = 1200mm.

Having worked excavating London streets removing tree stumps i can personally vouch the depths listed are accurate .

Having struck a gas supply that wasn’t even listed on the service maps and exposed high voltage cables at depths given .

JFDI

Beware ... of ground services You can find 11000v cables 6-8 inches below surface ... gas pipes 6 inches Cable tv 3 inches You will be prosecuted for not having a permit to dug under the new street works act and liable for any remedial and future repairs/defects TimR
Not according to UK Power Networks ECS 02 0019 http://library.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/library/en/g81/Installation/Cables/ECS+02-0019+Installation+of+Underground+Cables+-+LV+to+132kV.pdf
All 11 and 20kV cables shall be installed to the following minimum depths, whether they are laid direct or installed in suitable ducts:
TheMonkey27
That will not cover legacy installs that are still in production.

Recently watched Virgin Media’s contractors installing fibre optic cable tubing at less than 100mm and they still cut through and/or exposed mains electric cable, BT wiring, gas and water pipes!

Take care

Also as above, tarmac softens and hardens with the peaks and troughs of British weather. At its hardest I’d wager you’d be able to prise up a ground anchor set in tarmac with a 6mm flat blade screwdriver, at its softest it’ll fail with one half decent yank on the chain.

All 11 and 20kV cables shall be installed to the following minimum depths, whether they are laid direct or installed in suitable ducts:
TheMonkey27
i take it you never dug up a street in London 

Not sure it’s applicable here but during the blitz a lot of streets were blown up and repaired with no record of what was done. When Thames Water do renewals part of the job is discovering what’s down there as no one knows.

I usually lock it to a permit pole or a telegraph pole by the back wheel.  I guess ill just have to stick to that and get more locks.

I usually lock it to a permit pole or a telegraph pole by the back wheel.  I guess ill just have to stick to that and get more locks.
ORBNOXIOUS
Ask a neighbour and use their front garden... and offer them a 4-pack of Stella every month?
Not sure it's applicable here but during the blitz a lot of streets were blown up and repaired with no record of what was done. When Thames Water do renewals part of the job is discovering what's down there as no one knows. Joby
when my sites start up a lot of the time especially in east London we have to do UXO survey's because of ordnance dropped in WW2  

when I was working on the Sky Sports new studio the ground workers dug up around 11 British WW1 naval bombs dumped after WW1 

turns out the navy used the site to dump ordnance they didn’t want anymore  

I usually lock it to a permit pole or a telegraph pole by the back wheel.  I guess ill just have to stick to that and get more locks. ORBNOXIOUS
Ask a neighbour and use their front garden... and offer them a 4-pack of Stella every month?
IMORTAL_Indian
At home i have it garaged.  I work in Chelsea, sadly I don't think that would quite cut it!

When I worked in shepherds bush I parked in the secure manned car park of the k west hotel. I just went and asked the security nicely and they let me park for free. Doesn’t hurt to try.

I usually lock it to a permit pole or a telegraph pole by the back wheel.  I guess ill just have to stick to that and get more locks. ORBNOXIOUS
Ask a neighbour and use their front garden... and offer them a 4-pack of Stella every month? IMORTAL_Indian
At home i have it garaged.  I work in Chelsea, sadly I don't think that would quite cut it!
ORBNOXIOUS
Do they do Cabernet Sauvignon in cans?  
I just went and asked the security nicely and they let me park for free.
Nice one.