YZF R6 2009

Does this bike have any storage compartment?

by the looks of it, it doesn’t but just wanted to confirm. If it doesn’t where would I put my chain, disc lock, and other little bits and pieces?

Also I will be jumping from a cbr 125 to this R6. Man I will be sh!tting myself when i first get on! any tips would be much appreciated

i’ve got an 08 model and there’s a little bit under the rear seat but thats about it. It could hold a disc lock I guess.
Best bet would be something like a kriega tailpack (you can get one of these with Almax chains, if you haven’t already got a chain). that way you can store your chain etc in this. I believe you can also add more sides to them so the overall capacity is increased if you need it.

thank you :slight_smile:

Have you got any tips for me when jumping from a 125 to a 600 superbeast?

Smooth on the right wrist…
As far as storage goes. Be ready to be disappointed unless you have one of those travel foldaway toothbrush… :slight_smile:

try and do it when the two bikes are stationary? :smiley:

sorry mate not got any tips. the r6 is my first bike. just take it easy and remember whose in control:)

Bloody hell…you must be really good if an R6 was your first bike…thx for those tips.

And i’ll try that when its stationary lol

on a more topical note, i had a 2004 r6 as my first bike and its not an insubstantial jump.

if its a new one you’re looking at thats almost in your favour as it happens. during the run in you’re supposed to short shift 7kish or under. the r6 develops most of its power above that but that wont worry you as it will feel like a rocket to start with up until 7k until you’re used to it. still remember what it felt like the first time i opened that bike up, felt like i’d hit the nitrous button

the riding position will be aggressive and a little uncomfortable. whilst this goes away, factor this in a bit to how you’re riding as the bike will steer and brake a lot quicker than you’re used to (its not just about the throttle).

do as many miles as you can, preferably alone or with someone understand that isn’t going to goad you into nailing it to keep up (and this very much includes group riding where things can and often do get a bit enthusiastic). you’ll be fine on straight bits of road but corners may suck you in as you’ll be able to arrive there will a lot more speed than you think.

whilst you’ll want the exhausts and trick bits, try and put some time and money into improving your riding. once you’re reasonably confident with the bike, consider a track day to learn how to ride it better (this is arguable but i found it made a major difference to my ability to ride)

oh, and have a cash reserve as its at least even money that the bike will get dropped in the first year.

Points have been noticed:

corners, exhaust, throttle, brakes and fall! ahhhhhhhhhhhh

on a serious note, thanks for the much needed points :wink:

When I picked up my R6 '08 model (my first big bike) just hearing the engine running outside the dealers got my heart pumping fast. There was a little side road just besides which I slowly went up and down for around 20-30mins just to get used to the clutch and stopping and starting (get used to a stall or two :P) The R6 is quite tame bellow 7k so just don’t go mad on the throttle and you’ll be fine.

This bike does not like slow moving and standstill traffic and will let your joints know it’s not happy. Also get yourself a big rucksack,tailpack.

And finally, Enjoy!!

:D:D

Nice 1 :wink:

what did you ride before the r6?

lol djc999 same thing here. Dealer saw me standing outside staring at the bike with fear in my eyes. He said ‘want me to take it round the corner?’ Heh I was so grateful I coulda hugged him.
Despite the amazing stopping power of the R6, it wont stop for the first few miles! Beware slick coated tyres and unscrubbed in brakes!! I nearly hit a car on my first ride home because the thing wouldnt stop !!

This is good advice. Going from a 57 bhp to a 150 bhp bike, my main piece of advice would be: ease into it. Shift early, keep the revs down. For the first three months, you’ll be pussy footing around. With a bike like this, don’t expect to wring it through the gears for about your first year of ownership. And remember… just because you could… doesn’t mean you should!

On a damn quick bike dicy situations develop damn quick too, you’ll know what I mean if you ride one for a while and still live to tell the tale. And remember the last place you wanna be is sitting on the curb, with your gear all torn up, battered and bruised, and your P&J a tangled wreck, while an EMT congratulates you on how lucky you are to be relatively unscathed. It happens faster than you think. There are a few people on this forum who knows what this is like, including me.

While an R6 isn’t exactly my cup of tea, I’d say stay south of the real juicy bits of the powerband until you really know what you’re doing. You’ll know when you’re ready.

My 'Bird pulls like a mule on methamphetamine from about 7k to 11k and I don’t think I even went there until about 6 months into my ownership period.

Once you get there, don’t get complacent. Just because you’ve sussed it now, you’ve done a few miles and a track day or two don’t fly around like Batman just because you can. There’s always that rozzer, that patch of cow dung or that idiot cager you didn’t factor in the equation.

That’s my sermon… have fun and be safe! :wink:

Def echo the advice above. Ive got the 05 r6 before they went nuts apparently. but smoothness is they key. Oh and crash bungs :slight_smile:

If you can count the cbf500 on my DAS training for * cough 6 days cough * :Whistling:,

If not a Gilera Runner 125 :stuck_out_tongue: