Your worst ride out

*shuft

Holy cow @nivag, how on earth did that happen???

I had a similar experience in 2004 when an oil-cap (cheap bling bling part I added) to my GSX-R 750 K4. It came out at er, very high speed on a French toll road. Rod was behind me and flashing his lights, waving frantically as he could see oil being thrown up out the engine and onto the exhaust where it started a smoke trail.

I thought he was egging me on, so I went faster. In the end he pulled over so I would get the message something was wrong. Saw this, pull over, he then pulled up to me and I saw the smoke coming off the bike! Thinking it was a fire at first it was all hands to fire stations but then realised what had happened.

Spent the next 30 mins cleaning all the oil off with baby wipes and cleaned the rear tyre up as much as possible as some had gotten onto the outside edge of the tyre. We plugged the oil filling hole with tissues duct-tape and checked the oil level. All seemed good (hadn’t lost much at all really, it looked far worse than it actually was) so decided to continue our ride.

A quick burnout really helped clean up the tyre before setting off, carefully :wink:

We came off the motorway early to look for a garage to do repairs/top up with oil. The curving off-ramps were a bit of a scary moment for sure! Lot’s of sliding around.

The bummer is, it was a recently new set of Racetec tyres, ready for a French trackday we were riding to. After all this I couldn’t trust taking the bike on track so had to sit and watch Rod have a whale of a time! Bummer!

What a memory though :slight_smile:

The offending oil-filler cap, taken at Dover:

Smoke and Oil!

Oil and missing oil-cap!

Repairs!

Okay, quick wee break!

Rod having fun without me :frowning:

There is a video somewhere of me doing the burnout and filling the motorway with tyre/oil smoke. Think Rod has it!

Do you not have to have the oil filler cap wired like the engine oil drain bolt and oil filter for track days?

This is how @Jay
https://www.knfilters.co.uk/recallkn204
They finally admitted it was a problem after loads of people had the same issue.
Mine happened about 2 months before they issued the recall.
I managed to get a free air filter out of them and a replacement filter after I posted the crap out of it on social media.
They wouldn’t refund the replacement oil as I couldn’t find the receipt from the French garage.

1 Like

Weather can ruin an otherwise great ride out. The only one I’ve done with the Jetstreams was a great ride but a freezing fog at the end made the return leg torturous.

We were having so much fun, it was a big group too, speeds were good, that we did many more miles than originally planned, returning late afternoon on a November evening and a freezing fog settled. I remember being barely able to reach 30 mph on the A-roads around Rickmansworth, with us having to stop every few minutes to try and wipe visors. For those wearing glasses it was even worse. Every time we stopped I was scared of being rear-ended by a speeding motorist.

The wrong weather can turn an otherwise great ride into an ordeal.

No. There’s no bike checks beyond noise levels. Racing is a different story.

“I thought he was egging me on, so I went faster”

Hahaha. This has properly made me laugh. I can imagine his horror when you booted it :rofl:

1 Like