Yamaha R7

But conversely the gsxr always had a 400 in days gone by (was the first sports bike I ever rode pillion as a kid and scared me shitless…not wearing a lid probably helped) So did honda’s CBR…

Ok the R7 may have been a limited edition but the R1, r6 have just been shorthand for the model of their sports bike, yzf-r6…

Yamaha are marketing to a global audience, the vast majority of which is in the developing world.

Most aspiring bikers in India/Kenya/Indonesia/etc. probably can’t afford a pukka supersports bike & even if they could, local legislation may mean they’re not allowed to ride one. It doesn’t mean they don’t aspire to having a bike with Ninja/GSXR/CBR or Rn on a fairing and it’s a fair bet that they’re the market Yamaha have primarily designed this for. That’s where the future growth in the bike market is, not in an aging demographic in Europe & North America.

To put it in context, the number of motorcycle sales in the UK is less than 1% of the number sold in India alone, whilst even the combined European & US sales is less than 10%

Sorry to break it to you guys, but we’re the past & no longer that important anymore… :wink:

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m not sure… I was thinking 1290 but, to tell the truth, that’s mainly bc of the looks of the thing. I find it quite hard to find bikes that I really like the look of. What you get for being picky, I suppose. Will ask to try both! Seen so many glittering reviews of the 1290.

They scrapped the road going version of the R6, it’s only available as a track bike now. Shame. Thought it looked fantastic and I really enjoyed the short ride I had on my friends R6 once.

1 Like

I didn’t realise that they’d stopped making a road version of the R6.

I guess they must have figured the costs of making an emissions friendly version would outweigh the potential sales.

So, that leaves the ZX-6R as the last man standing from what was once one of the most lucrative classes for the Japanese manufacturers?

I really like that.

Aprilia entered the space, that most others seemed to have left, with the RS 660. Well, Yamaha have also stayed in it now with the R7. Not sure either are as much a supersport stance as the R6, but I kinda like that.

Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 10.49.58

A garage is the dream for sure! Not sure if we’ll move further out but one day… Really would love a garage for the bike(s) and hobby stuff.

It all depends, if you love “the london life”, stay central and put up with the insurance. Once you move out of the centre, it’s very difficult to get back.

I moved to Epsom to have cheaper insurance and a garage (as well as working from there) and just kept moving further from London ever since.

If money was no barrier, when it comes to the UK, I’d choose to be in C. London (zone 1 ideally)… but it needs a lot of money

Having said all that, living in Epsom was great to hit the byways and get muddy, and once you get outside the M25, you are surprised how quickly you can get to twisty roads. Suddenly a 1.5hr blast is a 1.5hr blast, not 40 mins+ to get to the twisties…

1 Like

i’ve been slowly brainwashing Kyle to move round here…
:smiley:

1 Like

R7 no I don’t like

keep in mind the rider in that pic does not come with the bike. Don’t think your misses will appreciate that. :rofl:

3 Likes

Too small for my Frame