When you top up your Oil...

When you top up oil on a bike, are you supposed to use the same brand as last time?? its a Gixxer 400. Also is there any type of oil thats recommended??

Another question, do Gixxer 400s take water, cuz I cant see where it would go… Please dnt think I’m a nutter

it prob is better touse same oil that in bike, they all have there own formula etc, wont hurt too much if not though, as long as same type of oil.

Have you had bike long? reason i ask is better to do yerself a full oil change then you know where you stand and wot oil/type you have used, you might not know if person b4 has used synthetic etc.

Gsxr 400, if it slingshot should be oil cooled, if watercooled ya should be able to see expansion bottle etc, if ya got oil cooler should have lines going str8 to engine, noramlly go underneath sort of.
wot model/age of bike is the 400? will tell us more.

Its a 1991 GSXR Slingshot GK76a, so I’ve been told… The guy I bought it from says he put Synthetic in it. I bought it just b4 christmas

sounds lik an oil cooled 1.

Do a full oil change yourself, you know where you stand then, synthetic? fully, semi there are different 1s

Get hold of a Haynes manual for it, even if you don’t ever intend doing anything much on it. It’s worth at least getting a bit of an idea what’s going on between your legs…

The HAYNE is the way forward…

It will give you ALL the info you could possible need as a releatively inexperienced mechanic of your own kit…

just run castrol,silkoline semi synth as that oil is good enough for most bikes,if you are racing it then use fully synth.
i change my oil every 3000 miles,and have done 48000 miles on my sv on semi,even my r1 and millie were ran on semi,

Welcome to the Darkside mate any gsxr is a great bike. You have the baby slinger mate and be proud they are awesome bikes, I have owned slingers from the work go and must say I have never owned the 400…me thinks I should change that! NO your bike dont take water…its a SACS…Suzuki Advanced Cooling System…just oil cooled. With regards oil in your slinger … it all depends if your bike is using oil…as these engines are known as the oil burners!!

Because they are oil cooled they do get very hot but for them its normal…but if your bike is blowing oil vapour through the breather (like one of mine) I just change the filter regularily but top up the oil … job done!

If not using oil then change the oil and filter…dont forget to check the airfilter as that is where the breather blows into to recirculate the oil vapour and lube the carbs

great bike … they have charackters of their own, but there is also a reason why they are called slingshots mate…have you found out why yet??

Welcome to the Darkside mate any gsxr is a great bike. You have the baby slinger mate and be proud they are awesome bikes, I have owned slingers from the work go and must say I have never owned the 400…me thinks I should change that! NO your bike dont take water…its a SACS…Suzuki Advanced Cooling System…just oil cooled. With regards oil in your slinger … it all depends if your bike is using oil…as these engines are known as the oil burners!!

Because they are oil cooled they do get very hot but for them its normal…but if your bike is blowing oil vapour through the breather (like one of mine) I just change the filter regularily but top up the oil … job done!

If not using oil then change the oil and filter…dont forget to check the airfilter as that is where the breather blows into to recirculate the oil vapour and lube the carbs

great bike … they have charackters of their own, but there is also a reason why they are called slingshots mate…have you found out why yet??