Wheel rimming (safe for work!)

I though I’d share my latest experience with greenlaneing and get a bit of advice on some damage I did :blush:… So on Saturday I decided to head out onto my local byways for a bit of fun, been doing it quite a bit and have been getting into it especially on the drier days where the SM tyres cope better and I can have great fun on the tarmac in between as well.

Had done a few and came to this hill (for those that are interested it was the one at 1.06 on this vid but at a point just before the one lewis caught me struggling on that muddy day) :D. I was going for it a bit as I had got a bit enthusiastic cocky and didn’t see the rock that had formed in the ground (or rather didn’t realise how big it was) and ended up going flying… The end result was this damage done to my front wheel (plucky KTM made it through relatively intact - R&G protectors did their bit)

My questions:
I’m assuming I shouldn’t ride it until it gets fixed - is this correct or am I being over cautious?
I know hagon wheels do this sort of repair but as they’re a bit far is there anyone closer to me (surrey) that can do it?
Is the rear wheel warranting repair… Not sure if the photo is clear enough but if there is damage to the rim, it’s tiny

The other photo I’ve uploaded is the point of impact on me… I can confirm that even mud/ gravel hurts when you land on your head! But luckily got away with a mild headache and my neck muscles are a bit stiff… like as if I’ve had a big workout!

Oh yeah also after two offs and two drops, I think it’s time I retired that helmet! :smiley:

Attachments

Image0182.jpg

Image0183.jpg

Image0184.jpg

Hit it hard with a lump hammer?

Thats not bad ,seen and straightened much worse . As they aint cast . I would knock that back straight with a plastic drift .

+1, block of wood between hammer and wheel though. :wink:

plastic drift, lump hammer… these are all new terms to me :smiley:

Bring it round at the weekend if you want . Have you sorted in quick time .

Don’t think I’m going to be around this weekend much but if the offer still stands and you’re around/free maybe the one after? I’m not in any great hurry as this is my second bike :slight_smile:

Ok now the serious questions have been answered… you can all commence the mocking! :stuck_out_tongue:

Did the same on my front wheel, used G clamp with ply between and hit with hammer. worked ok but i never got it fully so will remove tyre sometime

you utter twunt. :stuck_out_tongue:

I Love You Alex :rolleyes:

I wont be available on the bank holiday weekend for any rimming . But any other time you want rimming in the next few weeks is fine .

and lube that chain!

It does get lubed…with MUD! then cleaned at high pressure!

If only I had your camera… you’d be laughing till september!!!

Mian… that chain is lubed but mud+sun makes it dry. It gets cleaned and lubed only just before going out to get muddy!

Numnum, sounds good to be, I’ll be in touch for that rimming session, you need to tell me your rimming fee though :smiley:

Yeah I’m not really a perfectionist, plus I can see it happening again :smiley:

Good on you for getting out there and doing it!

Go on Mian, you have a go :wink:

he can’t, his bike is broke… again :smiley:

I can recommend the biggish G cramp solution.

A stout bit of wood on the straight (straightish) side and a bit of thin ply on the spread side and just “gently” tighten. Use the screw thread of the clamp on the bent thin ply side. You might have to have a few goes alternating sides to get it right.

Years of life left in that rim.