What's an average speed camera?

…must be what a hell a lot of motorists will be asking when they receive their fine in the post.

Did the A406 from Brent Cross to Hanger Lane this morning. I was holding 40/50 in the appropriate sections and the amount of motorists overtaking and even some at very high speed was just ridiculous.

Hanger Lane to Paddington on the A40 wasn’t as bad but why is the westway limited to 40 FFS?

I go that way some times and same I’ll hold my speed as i like my licence but sooooo many people rocket past me. They must know something i don’t…

it amazes and amuses me when your doing the limit in the avg cam zone and people tear past and then slow down when they get to the cameras   

1 + Yeah, don’t understand that!

I go that way some times and same I'll hold my speed as i like my licence but sooooo many people rocket past me. They must know something i don't..

Something like 10% of motorists are uninsured, it's probably a safe bet a similar percentage are not registered, or registered to false addresses. Some will be company drivers who know their company will say "sorry, we are unable to confirm who was driving that day". Add a few more idiots who don't understand how cameras work and it probably explains the half dozen, or so, who scream past you on each journey.

Some people are just idiots. Simple answer. I dunno what they typically set the limits to, but if you’re doing 65-70 for 3/4 of the distance then 50 just when going through the camera, you’re gonna get a ticket.

Does anyone know how strict the zones are? If they calculated you maybe hit 43/45 over a small section will you still get shafted

Does anyone know how strict the zones are? If they calculated you maybe hit 43/45 over a small section will you still get shafted Hold Da Kæft
Definitely not. I've cruised at that speed dozens of times up and down the A40 and A406 - no tickets

Ditto. I’ve definitely done more than that.

I go that way some times and same I'll hold my speed as i like my licence but sooooo many people rocket past me. They must know something i don't..
Something like 10% of motorists are uninsured, it's probably a safe bet a similar percentage are not registered, or registered to false addresses. Some will be company drivers who know their company will say "sorry, we are unable to confirm who was driving that day". Add a few more idiots who don't understand how cameras work and it probably explains the half dozen, or so, who scream past you on each journey.
Michael748
And some will have cloned your number plate!

I touch on the a40 for a very short while on my commute and can absolutely hammer it because there’s only 1 camera before I turn off again. Not that I do…

Doing the stretch from Paddington Green to Shepards Bush turn off?

I used to ride the Westway each way every day trying to work out how some people were just flying along there. Then it became a bit of a game on how fast I could go without getting a ticket. Basically I think the average is set quite high. It’s certainly 50mph+. Or I should say it was a year ago before I moved.

Is that 50mph as displayed on a speedo or a real 50mph?

Well I only had a speedo so I’ll go for that option.

So with bike speedos generally being quite optimistic, it’s quite likely you were actually within the leniency guidelines of speed limit + 10% + 2mph. Although by the sounds of it, there could well be a higher prosecution threshold operating on that section of road.