What to put on ally wheels

On a full rebuild and I’ve sanded my wheels back to a shiny ally. What should I put on them to stop oxidisation. Do I use a laquer, wax or a clear coat.

Cheers

Antony.

Powder coating and Avons, Bridgestones or Michelins is probably the way to go, Michelin PR’s are held in high regard around here. 90° Angled valve stems are a plus too and not just for scooters.

Having a powder coated clear lacquer is likely the way to go if you like the shine. :slight_smile:

Cheers, bear in mind I’m doing it myself, is there a descent clear laquer rattle can. I’ve used pj1 engine and frame etc, and the results are great.

I doubt very much if a rattle can of clear is good enough and it probably won’t adhere properly to the Ali wheel

Something like this. http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/poorboys/wheel-sealant-236ml-473ml.aspx?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=MerchantCentre&variant=5602&gclid=Cj0KEQjwpM2pBRChsZCzm_CU0t4BEiQAxDVFmmLFFWbJEaAybxfkZQh8pDGm47uklX8bzmZiDXPuLq4aArDq8P8HAQ

Don’t use rattle cans! The clear won’t last a week :flushed:

That’s just a barrier, after application it leaves a waxy/oily residue on the rims. The original ‘old school poor boys’ aluminium sealant was to use a multi purpose grease applied with an oily rag, that’s proper poor boys and costs less than half the price for more than twice as much. The brake dust, chain fling and road grime stick to the grease barrier and is easily wiped off to reveal clean rims. Once clean re-apply as before, its an on-going chore. If you want something a little cleaner to apply use Vaseline applied on a soft cloth, its not so ‘poor boys’ but leaves a similar barrier to the grease for the brake dust, chain fling and road grime to cling to.