Washing my bike in London

I’m struggling to find any self-service car washes to clean my bike in. I’m looking around west and north London.  
Does anyone have a place you can recommend?

All over France you see coin operated jet wash booths. You can hose off the worst of the salty road grime for a single EUR €1. Of course you can pay more if you want all the bells and whistles but I’ve found a quick €1 or €2 blast works wonders.

Why these don’t exist in the UK has always been a mystery to me.

They do, lots of petrol stations have them, called Jetwash, normally just pay on a time bases rather then what you want

BP in Colindale on the A5
Stirling corner Morrison’s petrol station
BP perivale (though this chooses what setting you are on based on time)
Shell Wembley park (though this chooses what setting you are on based on time)
Esso opposite(ish) from the ace

BP in Colindale on the A5 Stirling corner Morrison's petrol station BP perivale (though this chooses what setting you are on based on time) Shell Wembley park (though this chooses what setting you are on based on time) Esso opposite(ish) from the ace
👍

Thanks Boris! 

I bought one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DJ8GB3U/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1 .  Not powerful enough to blow the grease out of the bearings, but allows me clean the toy without being wasteful.

Picture for above.

Attachments

That is amazing! Thanks for the suggestion!!

Now that is a good idea.

I have one of those, but it is yellow.  And comes with a brush attatchment. And it sprung an air leak

It still works, you just need to give it a few extra pumps every now and again.  Tried supergluing into the seam where the leak exists but it made no difference.  Eventually I will replace it, but will get a smaller one as 8L is more than enough for a bike that it just becomes a waste of space storing it.

Got my dad this for Father’s Day
Impressed with its power being cordless.
For the bike on trackdays I use the same as Aceman but might be using this now on :grimacing:

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

Tomorrow (*Thurs) Lidl are doing some gardening offers - hose etc - if you have a pipe to attach to.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?id=696&week=2

Think they are also doing some cheap waterproof roll bags - handy for touring.

Another advantage of having a pump up sprayer is that if you leave it filled up by the door, then in the winter you can grab it give the bike a quick rinse down when you come home to wash off the crud & salt. Only takes a couple of minutes & you’ll already be togged up in your winter gear so won’t have to motivate yourself up to go back out into the cold once you’ve started warming up inside.

Lidl are doing a 12v cordless pressure washer from Sunday:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=14014

I had one of the pump ones and it managed about 3 seconds before two of the seals in the lance went and it couldn’t hold pressure. Fine for one wash (just about) but £15 for one use seems a bit much. I also bought mine from Amazon though, so perhaps if you get one from B&Q where you can inspect the seals in person it might be better quality.

I had one of the pump ones and it managed about 3 seconds before two of the seals in the lance went and it couldn't hold pressure. Fine for one wash (just about) but £15 for one use seems a bit much. I also bought mine from Amazon though, so perhaps if you get one from B&Q where you can inspect the seals in person it might be better quality.
AlexT
Mine cost £18 and I got about 3 washes before it went tits up :-(

I had the Hozelock one from Argos similar to this. It lasted years and I eventually gave it away (left out on the street). They are ok if you don’t have any other options. The pressure isn’t as good as a garden hose and a tap. Must say I enjoyed cleaning the bike a lot more when I had access to running water.

1 Like

So you got 15-20 years use out of it then? :slightly_smiling_face:

[quote] I had one of the pump ones and it managed about 3 seconds before two of the seals in the lance went and it couldn't hold pressure. Fine for one wash (just about) but £15 for one use seems a bit much. I also bought mine from Amazon though, so perhaps if you get one from B&Q where you can inspect the seals in person it might be better quality. AlexTMine cost £18 and I got about 3 washes before it went tits up :-( --- bluelagos [/quote]

So you got 15-20 years use out of it then? :slightly_smiling_face:

Pat
:-)

I got a pump up washer maybe 3 years ago and it still works now.  - I like to add the soap to the pressure washer then spray the foam all over the bike… not sure if it helps much but its satisfying and thats what matters.