USED BIKES - where have they gone?

Thanks for the advice rich, much appreciated. I’m veering more to the GSXR now - as you and redrat have hinted - as litre sportsbikes go it seems more of an every day proposition than the R1.

Must say, I do find my 02 R1, really comfy & it still puts a smile on my face, every day I ride it :smiley:

Great in town for committing, then turns mental at a flick of wrist… :Whistling: luv going abroad on it…

But I’m sure the Gixer would do the same :smiley: ‘Rizla’ Rep would be part of my ‘dream’ garage :wink:

Only thing is the stators seem to go @ 20-25k (mine had gradually faded) £200 fitted, by FWR, (original yam part cost £300 + vat from main dealer)

However, never had an issue with it other than ‘hunting’ due to my can & k&n air filter… Picked up a power commander tonight from JesterR6, so hopefully that will address it…

Thanks R1franc - I’m really interested in peoples first hand opinions of these bikes - I know the R1 is a blinding sportsbike but if you say it’s comfy and good in town for commuting (for a sportbike natch) as well - then I’m gonna get an R1 as I prefer it to the GSXR. :slight_smile:
Thanks for the heads up on the stator/FWR - I’ve heard similar from other owners since I’ve been researching the bike.

the 03 R1 is what i was going to settle for if i couldnt find another R6. its just the perfect bike, but insurance was going to rape me even more thats why i stuck with the 600.

also very comfortable as pillion. :slight_smile:

yep R1 02ish gave me a lift to pick up my first ever bike. it was still relatively comfy as a pillion at indicated 160 (apart from the sh*t in my pants that is).

As with property the most choice and the best prices all seem to be up north.

But to be honest I don’t fancy having to go all the way up to Bradford to check out a bike (I’d have to ride my kawa up there because i need to part ex it).

Plus - if it goes bang within the 3 month warranty I want the dealer to be reasonably close to hand.

I might snap and end up buying a dullsville out of crazed desparation.

Either bike will be a good choice, look out for warped discs and dodgy gearboxes on an R1 and crash damage on the gixxer…!

If you’ve any intention of modding it, or like to use 2nd hand parts with things go wrong, then I’d also recommend that you have a look at spares availability for both bikes. Would be handy to know where the main dealers are in relation to you, just in case there are any dealer only bits you need.

Cheers rich2302 - looking for crash damage on the gixxer sounds like good advice considering some of the numptys that ride them.
No offence to any of the superb gixxer riders on here natch! :smiley:
My personal preference is for the R1 - so i’ll hang on a bit and see if one turns up.