Ulez

Anymore demos on this ridiculous 12.50 charge for motorbikes that are are slightly older. Or do I need to change jobs or buy a newer machine !!

There’s probably demos but I don’t think anything’s about to stop it happening. So probably both?

But,but, I thought we lived in a democratic country…:frowning:

We do. The people of London have spoken & what they said is they wanted Sadiq Khan to run the city.

Change the bike.  Get a cleaner running more economical bike.  Simple as that.  I had to bite the bullet and do the same, even though I will only be affected for 1 year as the plan is to be out of London by end of 2020…  who knows it might even come to pass.

I had to bite the bullet and do the same
+1

probably best to do sooner than later, you’re likely to see the value of your bike drop just before the ULEZ comes into force as the potential market will shrink

probably best to do sooner than later, you're likely to see the value of your bike drop just before the ULEZ comes into force as the potential market will shrink
slow-ride
Exactly why I sold mine last year.  Paid off as I got a good price for it and a happy new owner.

I don’t think I will lose much value on my 06 CBR600RR :slight_smile: it’s not worth that much these days anyway.
I’m tempted to upgrade so I no longer get annoyed with this whole malarkey.

Change the bike.  Get a cleaner running more economical bike.  Simple as that.  I had to bite the bullet and do the same, even though I will only be affected for 1 year as the plan is to be out of London by end of 2020....  who knows it might even come to pass.
makman
I don't just that & spent 4 hours hammering out the Cat on Saturday 

??

I didn’t actually know how much “relatively new” bikes cost until I got mine, a 57 plate TDM 900. Before that I’d never spent more than about £1600 on a bike. I didn’t realise new ones go for over 10K!

What bike do you have at the moment? I’m sure we can come up with some suggestions that fit into the budget. '57 plate bikes can be had on a budget

I’ve found the TDM to be a great bike if you’re looking. Could do with 10-15 more horsepower to complement another 1500rpm before red line as I think they under-stressed the engine quite a bit - but it’s still quicker than most things out there. The thing flicks about like nothing you’ve ever seen, I get through the Blackwall tunnel before most people have filtered through to the traffic lights at the start out of London and that’s the bike not me. 

Downside is it’s proper lurchy at low revs and none of the mods I’ve tried seem to fix it so on occasion if you’re a bit tired people might think you’re a bit of a n00b the way the bike is rocking a fair bit in slow moving traffic but doesn’t detract from the balance. For the buck it’s about as good as you’ll get if you’re putting on the miles

I wish I’d bought one that had seen more use. The water pump and fork seals went on me shortly after I’d bought it, lack of use I’m putting that down to. I got them done at the garage along with the 24k mile valve clearance as was feeling lazy that week and I was about a grand lighter as a result

For a little bit more, there’s the VFR 1200. Which is exactly what I plan to do in about 10months time when the TDM hits 40k miles (still young for them I’m told)

I didn't actually know how much "relatively new" bikes cost until I got mine, a 57 plate TDM 900. Before that I'd never spent more than about £1600 on a bike. I didn't realise new ones go for over 10K!
What bike do you have at the moment? I'm sure we can come up with some suggestions that fit into the budget. '07 plate bikes can be had on a budget
I've found the TDM to be a great bike if you're looking. Could do with 10-15 more horsepower to complement another 1500rpm before red line as I think they under-stressed the engine quite a bit - but it's still quicker than most things out there. The thing flicks about like nothing you've ever seen, I get through the Blackwall tunnel before most people have filtered through to the traffic lights at the start out of London and that's the bike not me. 
Downside is it's proper lurchy at low revs and none of the mods I've tried seem to fix it so on occasion if you're a bit tired people might think you're a bit of a n00b the way the bike is rocking a fair bit in slow moving traffic but doesn't detract from the balance. For the buck it's about as good as you'll get if you're putting on the miles
I wish I'd bought one that had seen more use. The water pump and fork seals went on me shortly after I'd bought it, lack of use I'm putting that down to. I got them done at the garage along with the 24k mile valve clearance as was feeling lazy that week and I was about a grand lighter as a result
For a little bit more, there's the VFR 1200. Which is exactly what I plan to do in about 10months time when the TDM hits 40k miles (still young for them I'm told)
slow-ride
you need to do the Airbox mods 

& bikes have to be 57 plate

Thanks Wise, adjusted accordingly. I’ve not actually done that as I read it was more effective for pre euro3 bikes. Will have a go later when it’s bearable outside!

Don’t overlook the Bandit. All the water-cooled Bandit 650s and 1250s have been Euro 3 compliant since they were introduced in ‘07 (like my 07 plate 1250). Good reliable bikes that can be bought and run relatively cheaply, and aren’t on many bike thieves’ shopping lists.