TV Licence

I have been receiving letters addressed to an empty house I own that has no TV, no computers, no phone line and no broadband. I don’t bother responding to the “WE’LL TAKE YOU TO COURT AND SEND YOU TO JAIL AND WE’LL THROW AWAY THE KEY!” letters they’ve been sending. If they’ve been round they haven’t said they have.

An empty house - that is different - this is a flat that is occupied, and has a broadband computer that is not used for watching TV - the question is, how do we convince them of that?

You don’t have to. Let the letters come, ignore them . . . they threaten all sorts of things but they have no real powers to do anything. Do not admit to anything and don’t communicate with them . . .

so let me get this right…you don’t have a TV:blink: i guess you could send them a print screen of your internet history that shows you don’t use bbc iplayer, but that might turn over some information you’re not willing to give out:P

they have no right to come in and they will never get a search warrant just ignore them.

I agree. My understanding is they have no right of entry unless a court has issued a search warrant.

I suggest the best things to do here are :

stand up for your rights

ensure the TV Licensing authority know you have no TV etc and do not need a license

make it clear you mean business and are not just being obstructive.

Have you told them you have no TV etc? You could write to the TV License people making a statement that you have no TV, video recording equipment and do not use a computer to watch TV. Tell them you know they have no right of entry and that as you have no equipment needing a license they do not need to visit you. Now you have explained the situation and they have had the opportunity to update their records you see no reason why they should bother you again. Ask them to confirm, for your own peace of mind, that you will not be bothered again. Make it clear you have copied this letter to your MP so they take it seriously.

If they continue to contact you then write asking them to desist as you do not need a license and they know that. Copy to your MP and ask them to intervene on your behalf as you don’t see why you should have to put up with threatening letters etc becasue you don’t have a TV etc.

That’s very difficult.

Now you don’t even have to go to BBC iPlayer with the BBC news website now containing broadcast content, along with other providers doing the same.

The only way you could properly ever convince the TV racketeers that you haven’t been watching programs is to show them that you don’t have the hardware to support it and you have never installed the software ie flash etc.

Before the present GF I didn’t have a telly but had broadband. rec’d loads of letters but never had a visit.

Wouldn’t have a telly now if it was my choice, gets in the way of other things.

Not sure how to do this, might keep it in reserve if we do find out how to do it.

I certainly have not installed anything and when this computer was purchased (3 - 4 years ago) TV programmes were not available on line as I understand they are now. Certainly would not watch them even if they were. I just don’t want them in my house poking about with my computer really.

here’s what I’d do:

1. hide the pc & monitor in the boot of the car. throw a couple of books on the desk an tell them its for reading

2. invite the fuggers in to check you have no tv or similiar equipment.

3. be super nice to them and make them a brew (tea/coffee) laced with a laxative.

bob’s yer uncle, they see you have no gear, they stop sending the s****y letters, and they deoart with a little gift to rememner you by.

Bonzer

shando

The thing that really annoys me is that a retailer has to tell the TV licensing people the name and address of anyone that buys a PC that has the ability to receive TV programs, so that’s everyone then.

Just waiting for them to do the same thing with mobile phones

[quote]
buttonmonkey (01/09/2008)

The thing that really annoys me is that a retailer has to tell the TV licensing people the name and address of anyone that buys a PC that has the ability to receive TV programs, so that’s everyone then.

That’s the point - if they have the ability but you don’t use it how can you prove it to them? (The question of why you should have to is another matter)

two bits from the TV licencing web site

Thanks BM for the reply, but the point is IF I let them in for an inspection and they see the computer, HOW do I make them believe me that it is not used for watching programmes? If I thought I could trust them I might consider letting them inspect. At present the above which you have very helpfully downloaded does not answer that.

Well you certainly do not need a TV licence purely for having a PC with internet access, as the TV Licensing web page states "You will not need a TV Licence to view video clips on the internet, as long as what you are viewing is not being shown on TV at the same time as you are viewing it."There is no TV in my flat and no licence but I periodically go through all this when I buy freeview boxes for friends and relatives as presents. When the shop assistant insists on taking my address, I think to myself “here we go again…”. When they write to me accusing me of needing a licence I always write back telling them I don’t have TV receiving equipment.

I don’t tend to spend much time at my flat so the one instance they paid me a visit, I was out, and they left the same card that you got. That was 2 months ago and have heard nothing since.

Don’t quote me on this but if they do call round when you’re in, I think they will just be looking for TVs or TV aerials. They might look at the back of the PC to see if it has a TV card (an aerial input socket would be the giveaway). I very much doubt they will go to the trouble of switching it on to look at your internet history, and even if they did then whilst that may be an intrusion of your privacy, from what you say they shouldn’t find what they’re looking for, and then they should leave you alone.And then you should set your dog on them :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks ER. That’s why we put the post up - to see if anyone was in the same situation. Very reassuring.

(Dog licking her lips already)

they have visited twice and both times I refused them entry (who the hell do they think they are !) thats in the last 10 years.

I see no need to prove I dont have a TV

Surely it’s up to them to prove you HAVE been watching telly, rather than you having to prove you HAVEN’T, or have things turned completely on their heads?

They just assume that everyone does, and you have to prove otherwise