TOMTOM rider

What price did you get that for Rob? And is it easy to use??

kept my old car sat nav (tomtom go 700) and velcro’ed it into the map pocket of my tank bag does the job and the bike only GPSs have restricted functionality compared to car ones

get the cheap tomtom one and a bag for it = sorted with change :slight_smile:

maps are sh*te :smiley:

Paid £380 for it. Real easy to use and works with thick winter gloves on. Has the facility to plug your mp3 into and use phone all via blue moose. Not into blue moose myself, I’m still not conviced about the rf radiation claims. But it’s a cracking bit of kit.

Does this mean you can’t read one? “A bad tradesman blames his tools ect…”

i dont really get the arguements for and against

its simple, maps are easy to read, so is a GPS, maps dont auto update, GPS does, saves time, end of :slight_smile: especially in bad weather

Givi do a handlebar bag for satnavs now - the S850. It is waterproof and attachs with velcro straps. I think they are around £40.But it looks like the launch stock was snapped up really quick and they are on back order in lots of places at the moment.

http://www.givi.co.uk/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=34035&lang=en

yeah i wanted one of them or the one made by that french company in the LB news section http://londonbikers.com/news/10844/so-easy-rider-v3-new-motorcycle-satnav-accessory

but my tomtom go 700 is one of the old ones with a domed back so i had to use a tank bag in the end, still its easier to take off the bike when stopping for a coffee

This little ‘bum bag’ looks great, could be worth investing in.I don’t think there’s much between TomTom, Navman and Garmin to be fair. I feel it’s down to personal choice and budget.

This looks brilliant…

whats cool with this design over the givi, is you can buy an extra battery that slides underneath the GPS and helps power your GPS for many hours longer than standard

hey that looks good :slight_smile:

This is only for upright riding position bikes like Honda Hornets right? :unsure:

I can’t see how it would fit a sports bike.

Am I the only one to think looking at a GPS on a bike is dangerous, I mean I only glance at my speedo when I approach a Gatso, apart from that I never want to take my eyes off the road and cars around me.If it had some sort of mini jack output for an earpiece that would be great, is that the case? I mean otherwise there’s no way I’m gonna be able to hear any info spoken over the rumble of my RSV.:w00t:

I don’t see it as any more dangerous than looking at signs to see where to go instead, and, to me, that’s what the satnav replaces. Instead of reading things on posts at the side of the road, I look at which way the arrow by the speedo points.

If it’s working properly you shouldn’t need to look at the thing…the nice voice tells you where to go. :slight_smile:

I never use the voices on them, find it so much easier to look at a map than listen to instructions. I tried using the voice for a bit, but I still kept wanting to check the map…

But the GPS has a map on it…it just moves as you do, highlights where you are and you don’t have to take it out of your tankbag and turn the page every half hour. You don’t need to bother with the spoken instructions.

I agree that for long complex routes it is FAR better to plan it on an actual map, but to then draw the route on the map, and follow it etc has GOT to be harder than looking at a GPS screen, which will zoom in and out when you need it to, and just show you the bit of map you are on, usually in much better detail than a map would…

Planning a route on a map is the interesting bit, making sure you’re following your prefixed route and constantly checking your map and wondering whether you took the right turn or not…more often than not thats just a pain in the arse.

You can plan a route then programe it exactly into the GPS if you know what you are doing.

I can’t understand the viewpoint that maps are way better than GPS units; you can’t compare them as they are totally different things. I agree that constantly using a GPS does nothing for your sense of direction which is why you need to use both at different times. THere’s no way though, that once your on your bike, getting home on a rainy night from somewhere you don’t know at all, that a map is better than a god gps.