Tips for filling up with petrol

Got sent this in an email, might be a load of sheite, some of it makes sense, although in terms of benifit might be marginal…

Saw an article once to the same effect - apparently it’s part of a technique called “hypermileage”, where the aim of the game is to get as many mpg as is mechanically possible and to hell with such trivialities as convenience and safety.

Other points mentioned were:

A) fill up at inner-city stations which have a high fuel turnover rate,
B) inflate your tyres to the maximum pressure given for that tyre rather than according to the spec in the owner’s manual,
C) slipstream as close as you can, motorsport style, behind the biggest vehicle you can possibly find on straightish stretches of road, and
D) use ultra-low-viscosity-probably-made-from-orange-juice-without-the-bits motor oil and change it pretty much every ten minutes.

If you are that worried about fuel economy buy a C90:D

here is another tip, the best speed on a motorway is actually 56mph this gives you the best mpg…

The one about the morning fill I have heard that a few times, and does kinda make sense, I like the half full tank thing as well, again makes sense.

Or just walk… but on this forum that sort of sacriligious uttering could get me stoned to death… (weed not solid please)

lemon or high grade?:smiley:

Bah, if people lose a few kilos they’ll save more petrol. :slight_smile:

Or just taking off smoothly?

In California I know that the daytona 675 comes fitted with an “fuel evaporation canister” which somehow (i believe) saves the fumes from just leeching off and sticks it back in the fuel tank. I know of this because all the elite types seem to think that this thing is going to impact the performance of the bike somehow (as they stuff their faces with 3 burgers a day and lug an extra 20 kilos around on their bikes??) :w00t: hehe

Simple physics. :slight_smile:

Mind you I could learn a thing or two about filling up - filled up this morning, usually hold the end of the nozzle just inside the tank (otherwise it just keeps getting tripped by the anti overfill mechanism). Don’t quite know what happened but the end of the nozzle rose a bit and sprayed petrol all over the outside of the tank, the seat and me. It only sprayed for a fraction of a second but it seemed like quite a lot, like when you spill a drink …

the capacity of a bike tank, and the average temp difference between the tanks and the atmosphere will result in almost negliable difference in volume or value, however should you manage to fill to the brim, you will discover enough expansion to push fuel out of the tank and onto the floor/nice hot engine :slight_smile: thus negating the prospective savings :stuck_out_tongue: get your tyre pressures right and ditch your sports bike for something designed to work waaaaay lower in the rev range and drive smoothly ,and you can make a difference.BTW, sportsbike engines are normally more efficient in the mid to higher rev range, so pootling about on one can actually increase consumption :w00t: mid-range revs and part throttle are the way to go for best consumption, or there is allways the Royal Enfield Diesel ! :w00t::P:P:P

I cant imagine how much more petrol you will get by doing all this on a bike.

The more important and worrying thing about filling a bike up is how dangerous it is to sit on the bike while filling it up.

Nasty stuff, benzine:w00t:

Agree with chunkymonkey… Don’t sit on the bike while filling up, you can get a much more stable, better angled approach from the side (left side even easier). Best not to get petrol in your crotch area in my opinion. :smiley:

But don’t buy the bullshite about it being death on paint: sure, if you soak it in petrol and wipe it off with steel wool, maybe. But a little bit isn’t going to be the end of the world on modern paints.

iv’e just stripped evything from the bike that it doesn’t need… mirrirs, rear footrests, rack… and I’m on diet… that should make it cheaper to run…

Good for me, I can only do 70mph max anyway!! :smiley:

The canister is an activated carbon filter. That is why is California the range of bikes for sale is smaller than any where else in the US.

As for the tanks, they are buried so the actual variation that will occur will be very small, yes there will be some season variation, but over a day the difference is negligible.

Vapour return!?! That would require a sealed system, you can see the vapour when you are filling up. The rate of vaporisation is more temperature dependent, yes agitation will affect it but temperature is the key. Have you ever noticed those six or so large pipes rising up from the side of the petrol station? Vents for the tanks.

Debris and water in the tanks this is not an issue as they have traps which have to be cleaned out on a regular basis.

Walking, sacriligious? Nope if you have to pop to the shops and it is less than a mile it will do you a world of good to walk and you save on the petrol.

Here’s a good tip:Don’t ride fast or at high revs and especially don’t wheelie most of the length of the Hammersmith flyover. :Whistling:

DOH!

my bike has been stuck in the garage for 2 months, i aint used a drop of petrol. that will show the petrol companies!!! :D:D:D

The fuel temperature thing is total pish.

1. OK you wait until subzero temperatures to fill up, but unless you burn that fuel at that temperature it will just expand in your tank and evaporate just the same as if it would have done during the fierce midday heat of an English summer.

2. Given heat rises and my tank is directly above the Engine and beside the radiator, I’m thinking that my ice cool fresh petrol might not stay so crisp and dense afterall.

The best money saving advice regarding petrol is to carry around a hose and quietly ciphen it off cars stuck in traffic. Though for maximum effectiveness only do this in cold temperatures :rolleyes:

Yea, thats the way, I cannnnt even afford to fill my tank aanymore, I`m buggered if i’m getting up before sunrise for my fule

It doesn’t matter how hot the petrol is when it’s in your bike; that’ll only affect your miles per tank . It’s about how hot it is when it passes through the device in the pump which measures the volume of petrol that’s been sent through - the denser it is the more petrol you get for your money.