The posting of Biker Deaths on Forums

i think its also a little difrent i you have helped out at teh scene of an accident, or even witness the an actual incident, posting/typing/talking about it can help you to deal with what you have just seen etc

just passing a downed bike and posting it up is a bit pointless in some respects.?

Hey, look on the bright side! Some of us only get mangled :smiley:

Gotta say, if it was someone I’d met or had a laugh with from here, I’d want the news posted here. That’s when it really is “family”.

Perhaps you and John should start the Mangled Club!;):D:P

For me, it depends on the content and intent of the post.

It’s a fairly well defended practice in the skydiving world to post an incident report when someone dies or is seriously injured in a skydiving related incident. The point of these posts is for other people to learn from them and hopefully to reduce the number of people bouncing. Sadly humans are nothing if not energetic in finding new and exciting ways to kill themselves, so the annual fatality counts stay pretty constant.

I’m all for the same kind of thing in the bike world - actually sitting down, analysing an incident, getting to the bottom of the facts, removing the rhetoric and working out what went wrong. That way, I can try and avoid that thing.

As more incidents are carefully analysed over time, patterns emerge, and real hard lessons can be incorporated into training programmes or just general lore passed from those that are lucky enough to have lived to learn the lessons down to the FNGs as they come onto the scene.

Sadly, sometimes the only lesson to be learned is that sh*t happens, but a lot of the time we can learn things that will help keep more people alive.

These reports can be very hard to read if you were close to the person or had a similar encounter that you survived, and it’s often best to distance yourself from them or not participate in the discussion. But they can have great value as long as people participate in a mature manner, do not speculate and have an open mind to learning how to survive.

ffs kev…its MASSIVE! not ‘club’…:smiley: dont want to dissapoint teh haters huh…:w00t:

I have witnessed four accidents, that is, been present as the bike was hit by the car or pedestrian. Seeing what I have has certainly informed and improved the safety of my riding.

Yep.

if computers where coman place in 82 ,i would of posted about my brothers death , when he died on his lc350 ,

its allways sad when a biker dies but we all know the risks involved and i belive that relatives would find it comforting seeing all the messages left by others, and seeing that bikers are people with hearts and emotions too!

Hmmm…tricky subject. It always puts the wind up me when I read a story of a unlucky biker, it highlights just how vunerable we all are. I sometimes want to turn a blind eye to it but in reality it’s probably a good thing to read about it as it can help you keep your riding in check and remind you not to ride like a d**k. I’ve riden past the scene of an accident before where an injured biker was receiving heart massage. Scared the cr*p outta me but was maybe a valuable lesson in disguise as it makes your think more about your riding. On a nicer note it is sometime nice to celebrate a riders life and read all the tributes from other bikers. Afterall we all have choices in life and we bikers all choose to ride. For me the jury is out on this one - I don’t want to read about it but sometimes I NEED to read about it.