Struggling to get insured this year after theft........

All this insurance shit is bollocks!
Decided to buy myself a second bike, a GSXR600. Although my insurance company deem it ok to keep my brand new MT07 in my garden they insist that my ten years old, half the value gsxr is kept in a locked garage with security devices attached.
So instead of being able to add to my current insurance with the use of my Ncb I’ve had to take out separate insurance where the bike is kept in my friends garage.
My current insurance wouldn’t allow the bikes to be stored in two different locations.

When I got quotes recently for thousand cc bikes, all premiums were outrageous too. So decided to keep the 600 instead. In all honesty, my CBR600RR is much more capable than I will ever be anyway.

Move to the countryside :slight_smile:  

Move to the countryside :-)   bluelagos
What he said - £650 fully comp for my RF

The point about renting a garage costing more than the insurance hike for leaving it on the street is a fair one when you do the sums. Still piece of mind is worth something. If it gets stolen the insurance hike will offset the cost of garaging the bike so you are back where you started.

Question - after the theft, did you retain your NCB (protected) or did you loose all?

Surely the baron has traders insurance to ride all those lovely bikes. Can’t you become an employee of his and get on his policy?

This insurance thing is mad. I claimed on my car insurance - twas hit in Stanstead car park. Told my bike insurers, existing insurer hiked premium and refused to protect my bike policy NCB. Had to cancel policy and get new one. Costing 80£ more.

Makes no sense.

And this is supposedly a tightly regulated industry.

Feel for you man.

, existing insurer hiked premium and refused to protect my bike policy NCB.  banman
how could they do that? isnt it in the small print that you are allowed a certain amount of claims in a certain timeperiod?

Yeah i can ride anything through the magazine BUT only if it not owned by me personally. Its a odd term. tbh part to the reason to go back to adventure bikes is the fact that in reality if want a sports bike for a few days i can get one. 

07-09 R1’s where coming in at £1700, S1000rr was 2.5k. Its just a real shame. And no-one is doing anything about the thefts!! 

1000 Xr everyone is raving about them. So gunna book an extended weekend on one when i get back :wink:

Renting a garage… to much pissing about. Yeah i’m gunna look to sort my own trade policy. Then i can store in at my office which is very well protected and only 10 mins from my house on foot.

Oh and i lost 2 years NCD so im down to 2 years.

Question - with the increasing numbers of m’cycle and scooter theft year after year in London, ‘we’ now have ourselves a petition … as of today, that petition remains under 3000 in signatories.

Cyclists have had events raised in regards to deaths, etc … and now they have so much cycle lanes that some roads are now crawling due to the reduced carriageway width for powered vehicles.

Do ‘we’ the biking community not want to start stepping up to the plate and creating a much louder voice on this?

What’s MAG doing? They’ve jumped on the Harlow injunction quick enough … are they demanding a meeting with the Mayor, GLA, TfL and Police?

Question - with the increasing numbers of m'cycle and scooter theft year after year in London, 'we' now have ourselves a petition ..... as of today, that petition remains under 3000 in signatories.

Cyclists have had events raised in regards to deaths, etc … and now they have so much cycle lanes that some roads are now crawling due to the reduced carriageway width for powered vehicles.

Do ‘we’ the biking community not want to start stepping up to the plate and creating a much louder voice on this?

What’s MAG doing? They’ve jumped on the Harlow injunction quick enough … are they demanding a meeting with the Mayor, GLA, TfL and Police?

IanWilliamson
MAG are organizing another pissup in some field somewhere and posting all about it

Extract of Sadiq Khan’s statement pre election regarding Motorcycles:

" … I don’t make promises I can’t keep, so let me make a promise I can definitely honour.  As Mayor, I will meet with representatives of riders’ rights organisations and learn at first-hand what you need and want.  This will include a discussion about lane width and secure parking. …

… I’m looking forward to serving London’s 130,000 biker riders."

What about LondonBikers stepping up to the plate and requesting a meeting?

I nominate TC to do it

Yes, we need someone who knows what they are talking about rather than a load of us turning up and not knowing the proper way to go about it

“MAG’s Chair, Selina Lavender, is very encouraged by their responses”

Do ‘we’ know her? Do we have contact details (General Secretary is the ‘highest’ email on their contact page)

I ‘may’ have an in with the GLA & TfL … happy to put a call in, but worth seeing what MAG is doing now Sadiq is in post.

In my view there are a number of quick wins … shout of you think I’m wrong or there is more…

1) Requirement for ALL official motorcycle bays to be fitted with ground anchors, or other such security means

2) The London Plan now has the requirement to provide motorcycle parking. Great. But these are the bays only. Again developers / contractors should be required to install security means (anchors, etc)

3) There should be an action committee formed, including GLA, TfL and Met/London Police, to formulate a plan of action and ‘rules of engagement’ for Police responding to theft call outs.   

Oh … and ALL bus lanes to be Motorcycle/Scooter friendly !!!

How about a lunchtime major bike meet in Parliament Square to raise the problems ??? We can just keep going round and round and round and round ,

Buy me the sports bikes you want and I’ll let you ride them whenever you want :blush:

You also have to inform them of everything. And as a result that will have an impact. This wasn’t a claim on the bike policy don’t forget. But it obviously changed my risk profile to kerching£££!