So anyone fancy coming to see a bike with me this Saturday in Chesham Buckinghamshire?

Good choice, I’m glad you went for the SV over the Gladius; I’ve been told the Gladius was meant to be like the SVs naked counterpart but in reality, lacks a lot of what made the SV so popular!

Great first bike and I’m sure you’ll be ragging it soon enough :smiley:

+1 For checking tax and MOT status too!! :blush:

Don’t need to worry about the Tax as that can’t be transferred over anymore, you need to do this yourself

So I learnt quite recently…

:smiley:

:laugh:

I’m glad for your original advice, I would have regretted the Gladius.

Tax is easy, assuming the vehicle is shown as having a current MOT certificate on the DVLA database. Note there is no longer a requirement for the vehicle to be shown as insured on The Motor Insurance Database, I recently taxed the Honda before its insured status had been updated on MID.

You can tax on line using the 12 digit reference number on your New Keeper Supplement V5C/2 or by phone on 0300 123 4321 using a debit or credit card. Other options include The Post office if you fee l the need to queue up for it.

inter webby wotsit here

Thanks Art.

So if I buy the bike and get it delivered to Scorch and stored with him for a few weeks, can I just sorn it and don’t have to tax or insure until it’s going to leave his workshop and be ridden? I was trying to find the answer but i’m a bit confused. :ermm:

So long as it’s declared sorn you don’t require tax or insurance providing it is off the road (SORN = statutory off road notice)

If its kept off road you aren’t legally required to insure it but you do need to declare it SORN.

Why would you buy it now and not ride it away?

If it’s just for a couple of weeks have the shop hold it for you, you’ve paid a holding deposit!

Well it depends, I’m going to see if I can learn to like the clips ons on Saturday, if I’m ok with them I’ll probably ride it away in a week as I need to sort some other shite first.

If I definitely don’t like the clip ons I’ll get it delivered straight to Scorch and leave it there while the bars are converted and exhaust is replaced.

Then when it’s ready, insure it and ride it home from Scorch’s.

The annoying problem is, I’m one month off finishing my current insurance policy on the YBR, on 10/02/2015 I will officially have one year no claims and a year of riding.

If I insure the SV for the final month before that one year bonus I will be looking at paying £200 in insurance for just one month and then setup the MUCH cheaper new policy in Feb.

Or I wait, store it until feb and save myself £200.

Don’t wait!!! Its only Money!!!

:laugh: That’s what the devil sitting on my left shoulder keeps saying!

Then lets just hope your deaf in the Right ear!! :smiley:

i strongly suggest you dont purchase a bike then dont ride it for 3 months. the little warrantee you might have from the dealer would expire and you could be left with a bike with problems which you were not aware of because you werent riding it.

i can test ride it but by experience you dont spot all eventual problems straight away. they could come up in a month after you started riding it and then it would be too late. you should do as much riding as possible within the dealers warrantee to make sure the bike is fine.

you can get Scorch to inspect it, but to make absolutely sure he would have to dismantle it piece by piece and thats not feasible. riding it is the safest easiest option to be sure.

Yeah you’re absolutely right, i will hopefully be able to test ride it myself Saturday if their insurance will cover me.

If I store it at Scorch’s, will only be for 4 weeks max I think.

I’d be so f**ked without this forum, you guys have been a huge source of information and support I’d just like to add…such a biker baby ha :smiley:

Definitely agree on this…

With my recent used car, first problem came about in 3 days, the next a couple of weeks later and then the big one (clutch) only manifested after three and a bit months… likely because I hadn’t driven it that much trying to fix the first problem…

Buy it and ride it… fix cosmetics and add-ons after this period. Plus you don’t want to spend a lot of time and money fixing it as you want, only to find that something’s wrong with it.

Having said the above if you have the bike looked over and feel it runs well, then that should be fine.

I’m dropping my naked SV650 off for a service in Watford at 8:30am Saturday
and MetalRed will be there on her SV650S too.

http://londonbikers.com/forums/FindPost995741.aspx

Lloyd Coopers 59-63 Queen’s Road, Watford WD17 2QN

If you like we can be there 10 mins early and you can join us and try
both bikes for size. And there’s a cafe opposite the bike shop.

I could also go over what I’d check on SVs, with both the naked and
the sports bikes there to demonstrate, and you can listen to the
rattles from healthy running SVs, because they really do all do that :wink:

Let me know and we’ll be there at 8:20 and so will have 10 mins before
they take my bike for its service?

That would be great, I’ve never ridden up to Watford by myself as I’m based down in Streatham but it looks like I just follow the A41 the whole way up once I’m out of Central London. Any ideas on traffic on A41 early in the morning on a Saturday? I’ll probaly leave about 6.30 ish to make sure I’m there in time.

Then I guess I can just ride back to the Ace or meet Alba up that way to go onwards to Chesham at midday.

Yes the A41 to Watford should be fine that time on a Saturday.
See you 8:20am Sat at Lloyd Coopers WD17 2QN.

I will see if I can persuade MetalRed to go to the Ace for breakfast after
dropping my bike off then you can follow us down there, where you could
wait to meet SilveR6 unless SilveR6 is up early enough to meet in Watford,
no guarantee though, we might have other plans.