Smart motorways catch more than 1,000 speeding drivers a week

Just a heads up for all you hooligans and point collectors out there

Read all about it at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37888207

Yer I was reading this today as well.

Only a matter of time before the fun is completely sucked out of driving/riding

Use B roads…

Just throw some mud at your number plates before joining said motorways:)

Or just drive slower through the speed cameras.

+1

Dirt biking!

As someone who does a lot of motorway driving. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say I think that smart motorways is a good thing. People get complacent about speeding and driving close together when there’s congestion, and this is clearly dangerous, especially combined with the new thing where nobody indicates before changing lane. Slowing people down with the variable speed limits is a good thing, as far as I can see. No need to speed through those cameras.

Average speed camera zones though… those are evil. They need to disappear.

Open roads though, well, that’s fair game I reckon, but get caught and you’ve gotta take it on the chin!

What I hate… is when once minute it’s 40… then 60… then 50… and it often happens when there’s no congestion so you have to bring your speed

alllll the way down from 90… I mean 70. Feels like you’re bunny hopping along and you look around to try and find s reason for it…

Only to make eye contact with the guy in the other car who’s also trying to work it out. Then low and behold, back to national speed limit, which is 90? Or 80? Or 70?

That happens to avoid the traffic build up.
Like in this Microsimulation of Traffic Flow: Onramp

What I hate... is when once minute it's 40... then 60... then 50... and it often happens when there's no congestion so you have to bring your speed

alllll the way down from 90… I mean 70. Feels like you’re bunny hopping along and you look around to try and find s reason for it…

Only to make eye contact with the guy in the other car who’s also trying to work it out. Then low and behold, back to national speed limit, which is 90? Or 80? Or 70?

Michaels
And then watch in horror in your rear view mirror as a foreign plated HGV driver comes speeding up behind you carrying out a last minute overtake. This on a completely clear M25 for miles with the gantry limit displayed at 40, went back to 70 around 5 miles later with no sign of any congestion (late lunchtime weekday). 

As Boris said, iIsn’t the whole point of smart motorways that if the posted limits are followed, you’ll not see any congestion because it will have had time to clear before you get there?

Maybe it’s the cynic in me but from what I saw there maybe a hint of revenue raising involved, at the time I quoted the motorway was completely clear, as clear as I’ve ever seen it for a long stretch, any hint of congestion would have had a slight bit of traffic evident