SHARP : NACP for Helmets

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/about-sharp/
What is SHARP?SHARP is the Safety Helmet and Assessment Rating Programme - it’s the new helmet safety scheme for motorcyclists.

SHARP will enable riders to more easily select a helmet which matches their needs. It will provide consumers with an independent assessment of the safety performance of helmets sold in the UK. The SHARP RATING reflects the performance of each helmet model following a series of advanced tests in our lab and will rate helmets from 1-5 stars.

Laboratory tests show there are real differences in the safety performance of motorcycle helmets available in the market. While they all satisfy the minimum legal requirements, providing objective advice concerning the level of protection a safety helmet provides will assist riders when making this very important buying decision.

We have begun testing motorcycle helmets to our advanced assessments and from Spring 2008, SHARP will offer you a single, easy to understand rating for helmet models available within the UK.

We believe that a helmet that performs well when assessed against our new procedures will offer users a significantly increased level of protection. Our research has shown that up to 50 motorcyclists’ lives could be saved every year if everyone wore a helmet that scores highly in the SHARP testing system.

Look for the SHARP logo and be sure to check out the SHARP rating when you think about getting your next helmet!

I think this is a good idea… as manufacturers wont have a say if their helmets will be tested or not!

anyone can go onto the site and see the score of a helmet before buying, and more importantly

ealry tests show that high price isnt associated with scoring highly on the SHARP tests!

If anyone is in any doubt as to the benefits Euro NCAP has brought to cars, you should have seen when Fifth Gear crashed a little Renault Modus (5 stars) into an old tank (Volvo 940 Estate).

I really hope this new standard is run properly as I know there are disagreements between experts over which impacts we should be protected from in helmets.

what a good idea i know id much rather have the best protection possible