Shame-Metropolis Motorcycles, Vauxhall

Hi all.Being a past and (potentially future) customer of my local bike shop, Metropolis, and having followed this thread with interest for a while now, I got to wandering what the Metropolis managements opinion of their ‘employee’ might be, in view of the way he has ‘defended’ and ultimately (mis?)represented his company on here.

So I asked them.

In writing.

Here is their reply…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dear Mr Smudger.
Thank you for bringing to our attention the forum postings on Londonbikers web site.
I have read the postings with interest and let me re-assure you these are not the opinions of Metropolis Motorcycles but the opinion of some under employed idiot.
We do not do our dirty washing in public and whoever this individual is, is not replying on behalf of us.
I will investigate this internally and deal with the individual personally.
Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Yours sincerely
Martin Powell
Metropolis Motorcycles Ltd
60/62 Albert Embankment
London SE1 7PT
Tel: 020 77939313 "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us know how you get on, 911boy.

Interesting… 911-boy did seem to know some things that you wouldn’t expect someone to know about M-daytona’s service unless they worked there - things she didn’t mention in her original post - but that is a much better approach from Metropolis. Maybe it’s not the whole store, but a few plonkers in it that need sorting? I’ve never had a service there, I’ve just popped in a few times. Once to buy a helmet, they were fine and helpful then. The other times I went in to look at bikes when I was planning on buying my first one - the only thing I noticed then no one has ever asked me if I needed any help. Other than that I know nothing about the place, except what I’ve seen written here and what I’ve heard on the rumour mill - which hasn’t been positive and this 911 chap will really have put people off.

My own experience with Metropolis.

I bought a Suzuki from this dealer.
The guy I dealt with, was very pleasent and interested in my business. So positive all in all.

BUT! Before that…two days before i approched a salesman walking in the store, first thing in the morning and i enquired about a Triumph.
I asked whether they had any Street Triples in stock… and following a innocent mix up, as i thought he answered about a Speed Triple, i got face to face with him and i mean one inch from my nose… he also was very rude so much so that he commented on my accent, implying i needed to learn english, all this accompanied by an exchange of compliments … for god’s sake! speed / street triple confusion can arise can it not!!!
Customer service zero, zilch!!!

Anyhoo, for any of you interested … this very obnoxious salesman deals with Ducatis at the Vauxhall branch of Metropolis…you’ve been warned…or maybe you are going to be ok as long as you intend to purchase a Ducati :slight_smile: …as he may be interested in your business after all :stuck_out_tongue:

The Servicing department… mediocre, mix up with some parts for my Suzuki, long time to get a slot for my first servicing (over a month), some parts ordered took ages to be delivered and were also wrong, so more waiting… when new parts arrived no calls to inform me that the bike could have been booked in for fitting…i’d say customer service all in all very bad…the majority of them anyway…
it’s not fair to generalize really, as three of the staff i’ve had dealings with were very professional and knowledgeble (1x sales, 1x servicing, 1x clothing), but hey! i say three…out
of how many?!?!
Retorical question by the way… :slight_smile:

The sad thing is, I believe 911 does actually represent the overall view of the store as that view coincides with the general treatment many of us have endured in our dealings with Metropolis Vauxhall.

Rule number one…Making sexist comments on a bike forum with a large user base does not improve customer relations and sales :crazy: :blink:

LOL @ Mr Smudger:D

only impression i ever got about said store is if ya look like ya got money they will be round ya like flies to sh1t, if ya dont look like ya got money as mentioned previous no 1 will bother with you.

ive noticed the same, ive been in before bought bits n bobs and they were very helpful, but they dont really approach you to see if you need any help.

I will say this however, i have had dealings with a lot of bike dealerships, having worked in a few myself i am fully aware of ocasional customer complaints, however Metropolis do tend to feature quite regularly on this site within the shame section, and i must say i do believe this to be in the workshop side of things.

You boast 911 boy of your 1500 units sold in the year, it is easy to sell a bike, thats not the problem, and i can see that people would come back for sales if they get a good deal, but customer service seems to go out the window when the vehicle has been delivered to the customer. I once bought my Triumph into your premises for a coolant leak and was told there was no problem with the bike, except when i went to another triumph dealer they found the hose had split and was replaced within 48 hours.

I really think you need to concentrate on Customer service and maybe look at some of your staffing issues.

Hi,

A week ago I put 500 quid down for a new Shiver at Metropolis Vx on a deal with 0% finance and free tank bags - seemed like a pretty good deal to me. But last friday I rang up and got told sorry, the bag deal has actually ended now and sorry but you cant get one after all… Its not the end of the world, but a deal’s a deal as far as I’m concerned, and those tank bags are quite pricey. Plus a,ccording to the Aprilia website, the deal runs until end of Feb… weird…

I still have the rest of the 20% deposit to pay, but I’m wondering if I can get a refund and go elsewhere. I think I should at elast get some kind of free kit or discount.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Oli.

I’d walk away from it personally. Like you said, a deal is a deal. Mistakes can happen, but they should be able to honour this sort of deal.

Isn’t this covered by the sale of goods act or something, advertised price and all that, although I think part of that is more good will than actually a legal requirement?

I would have thought at the very least you would get your £500 back and be free to go elsewhere, after all I would have thought the deposit was only non-refundable if ‘YOU’ had pulled out of the deal, not if they had messed up the details to start with?!?

Best of luck with it though…

I’ve only ever looked in the window of the one in Greenwich, usually on a Sunday when I’m out for a wander, so have never been inside. Its only just up the road and I’m tempted by the convenience, but not if the chain is generally poor, has anyone else dealt with this shop as it’s the nearest place to me?

If it’s as bad as the Vauxhall dealer appears to be I’d rather go out of my way and use Essential Rubber as I’ve heard nothing but good things about them.

Hi Oli, you should try to get your deposit back or a replacement bag/kit, from my own experience, I think it’s more likely that you’ll get a freebie bag than a refund on the bike, but it’s worth trying, speak to Bob at the triumph section, he’s the nicest guy there, and maybe able to help. Failing that go there when its busy and perhaps raise your voice slightly in front of other potential clients…Good luck!

My own experience…again bad with the branch in Greenwich…
I spoke directly with Suzuki for replacement mirrors for my bike (as they vibrate above 40mph…) and Suzuki confirmed that it is a problem on the GSR600 K6 and K7, so Suzuki spoke directly with Metropolis in Greenwich. Suzuki customer service called me back to advise that Metropolis Greenwich would give me a call the next day to sort it out…never heard from them. I went to Metropolis Vauxhall and told them about the above, they made a note on my file (my bike was in for servicing) and again never heard about the matter again… terrible, awful service.

I’ve not given up on replacing my mirrors yet, but i’m reluctant to go and pursue the matter with Metropolis…had enough really!!

:crazy:

i’m new to biking (very new), but whatever the rights and wrongs in this case, your customer service attitude sucks

i assume you are not the owner and that he/she would be furious that you have been posting on forums like this

maybe you are a sound employee but you are coming across all wrong

i am now a bit reluctant to visit a metropolis store, shame as there arent enough places out there for us really aha, noticed the letter from metropolis, explains the above

I work so close to Metropolis that I can see it from the office window but I’ve only been in there once, it was in 1998. When they realised I only wanted to buy a can of brake cleaner and some chain lube, their attitude stopped short of outright abuse but it was pretty clear to me that I was practically insulting them by crossing the threshold intending to spend less than a tenner. Needless to say, despite their nearness I haven’t darkened their door since - such is the power of customer service.

don’t blame you … i slowly slowly am doing the same… i wanted to get scottolier fitted (got a quote from Metropolis Vx) and eventually went to Infinity… i saved 50 quid believe it or not :hehe:

Lets not forget the response Afro got when he went in to enquire about an R1 and an RSV Mille. The salesman turns round to him and says, “one’s an inline four and one’s a twin, what else do you want to know?”. Correct me if I’m wrong mate.

Thanks for your advice but it all come up roses in the end, I got my bike and the bag is on it’s way.

To set the record straight, it turned out that problems with the tank bag were no fault of Metropolis, it was **** up with Aprilia. -So have to be fair and say so far I got good service from Vx especially Daniel in sales who has been a star and will sort you out with whatever you need.

My bike… I drove it home at about 11mph I was so scared about dropping/scratching it… sure that will wear off. anyway, gotta go get back on it right now…

You’re spot on mate…I’d forgotten about that.

That sales guy was a patronising little kent :rolleyes:

Hi guys, yes I am afraid I have some bad stories to tell about Metropolis as well. I bought my first bike from them and had no trouble - but was warned to stay well away from them for services as they charge so much more than competitors and often return bikes in worse form than when they were taken there.I ended up reluctantly buying my second bike from them as they offered the best deal after my first one got written off, and with a brand new bike that is now only two months old I have had to take it back to them twice.

The first time the steering was not aligned correctly and this really should have been checked before they sold it to me. Secondly last week on my way home (thankfully only doing 30 on a residential road at the time) the fuel pump malfunctioned and I lost all power. Granted that is a problem with the bike and not with the garage, but I had it recovered on Saturday and I have been chasing them since then to find out when I am going to get it back. I could get no answer all day on Saturday (not even to tell them that the recovery vehicle was on its way) and spent two days just trying to find out what is wrong with the bike and how long it will take to fix.

On a better note - their accessories department is excellent, they provide really great service and are one of the more knowledgeable departments around.