Searched under the Terrorism Act..

I’m surprised they searched you under the Terrorism Act,I would have thought a search under PACE would have been more appropriate or even a Sec 60 PACE search which is used in specific areas at specific times to deal with a problem.Such as the threat of violence at a football match,no reasonable grounds needed for Sec60

Did you get a copy of the search record and does it say Sec 44 Terrorism stop?

Its true to say what does a terrorist look like,but searches are still meant to be targeted at the right people.Otherwise the power gets misused and civil liberty bods get all uppity!!!

No it wouldn’t, the police couldn’t identify a suicide bomber any better than me or you, they don’t have wires hanging out of their back pack and “bomber” written on their forehead.

Stopping and searching people is a gross invasion of privacy, usually (and properly) reserved for those who are suspected of having committed an offence. People like my Grandparents fought to keep this country independant and free of this kind of control and the Govt are destroying what was fought for in the name of terror. They won’t stop terrorism like this but it is a form of control that makes some of the population feel better.

Nothing to hide ? We all have nothing to hide, we’re all going about our business so why should we be searched ? It’s not a matter of not trying to hide something but a matter of one of the most important and fundamental principles upon which the country is founded and works.

If terrorists wanted to blow up a football stadium there’s no way a few random searches would make any difference at all.

Way i see it? in this day and age we cant afford to get upset if we get stopped…end of the day? if ya aint hiding summit…uve got nothing to worry about guvnor !! :slight_smile:

Yslart? People like my Grandparents fought to keep this country independant and free of this kind of control and the Govt are destroying what was fought for in the name of terror. They won’t stop terrorism like this but it is a form of control that makes some of the population feel better.

Nothing to hide ? We all have nothing to hide, we’re all going about our business so why should we be searched ? It’s not a matter of not trying to hide something but a matter of one of the most important and fundamental principles upon which the country is founded and works.

If terrorists wanted to blow up a football stadium there’s no way a few random searches would make any difference at all.
Thing is, you are right, our grandparents fought in wars etc…but that was then…unfortunately mankind has not learned…and this is now…not the same…streets are not safe…kids are not disciplined enough…life is not good…do you know how many kids walk about with knives, just to go to the shops even?..do you realise how many kids are so high they dont even CARE who they are abusing or assaulting and even worse, they dont remember doing it !!

Again, we dont all have nothing to hide…you cant even go shopping for clothes without whole families watching for the right moment to snatch your purse, and yeh im talking WHOLE families, right down to carrying baby !! True it would be hard to stop an organised bombing in a football or other huge place stadium but it would make them think twice, if they knew those sort of things were in place…

I wasnt happy taking off my shoes and showing whats inside my handbag when going to america but have to do it…i dont feel its invading my privacy as such…they aint in my bathroom with me after all…well big brother an all that, guess it wont be long before they are…:wink:

Surely the Police have to stop some innocent people in the pursuit of these mad men!!

We do ! :stuck_out_tongue:

with slarty on this…

and then again I am not…

The evidence seems to be that stop and searching suspects in the street works…but it is still real bad…

Paul

Only being stopped and searched, why should I tolerate that ? I’ve done nothing to give anybody reason to suspect me of having committed a crime.

Why dont you sit down with any black guy…not just on here either and ask THEM what it felt like for them or their fathers??? cos years ago, they were ALWAYS being stopped and searched…most times for nothing as well !!! They couldnt walk the street even day or night…sorry im not getting on the black/white thing but this is not the first time people have been stopped and searched…maybe nowdays for terrorist etc reasons, back then? was cos of the colour of their skin…ONLY. Many a time friends were stopped on our way to visit friends or on way to night work, on buses, trains,cars, or walking the street…no reason they just pulled up in a car, jumped out and made them spread em in the streets…this is not new. :wink:

I know that’s how it used to be but there were controls brought in to stop it happening because it wasn’t right, it’s wrong to be stopped based on just your colour. I’d like to think the police had better information these days :unsure:

Yes there were controls brought in, eventually, years later, but as i said before, nowdays with whats going on out there, i dont envy a policemans job. they are damned if they do and damned if they dont…they cant win if they do what they think was right, cos someone will take it wrong way, or if they dont act, someone takes the pee and robs someone and gets away with it! Like i said, its not aimed at anyone one of us personally…its a job that has to be done, doubt they even like doing it…well, guess there are the odd jobsworth, as is always the way…but in general, suppose they would rather not approach us…they could get stabbed today, lets face it !! :wink:

[quote]
Yslart (05/02/2008)

No it wouldn’t, the police couldn’t identify a suicide bomber any better than me or you, they don’t have wires hanging out of their back pack and “bomber” written on their forehead.

Stopping and searching people is a gross invasion of privacy, usually (and properly) reserved for those who are suspected of having committed an offence. People like my Grandparents fought to keep this country independant and free of this kind of control and the Govt aredestroying what was fought for in the name of terror. They won’t stop terrorism like this but it is a form of control that makes some of the population feel better.

Nothing to hide ? We all have nothing to hide, we’re all going about our business so why should we be searched ? It’s not a matter of not trying to hide somethingbut a matter of one of the most important and fundamental principles upon which the country is founded and works.

yes it would,i’m not just talking about terrorists, i’m talking about the youngsters that are out of control too. again if you’ve got nothing to hide you need not worry.

invasion of privacy?, pee off.

the day i see old bil regularly stopping peope to carry out searches and not be labeled racist for it is the day i jump for joy!:smiley:

Have to be honest Waxy, I don’t think its a bad thing to be searched occassionally… where’s the harm? Like a lot of people have already said:

1. It scares the bejesus out of the people who might be carrying something dodgy…which is an idea I’m fond of.

2. What does a terrorist genuinely look like? Apparently Down’s syndrome women were used in Baghdad the other day… its fair to say NONE of us would assume a mentally handicapped person to be a suicide bomber, but it happened clearly…

3. Random searches are just that. Random…that day happened to be your day.

4. What harm did it actually do you?

5. How do you know they didn’t have a tip off about the famous North London disgruntled White Jewish Family gang, and unfortunately you look just like them…

There’s so many reasons that what they did was somethign that was for the greater good for UK society and so few to say that it really was a bad thing that you experienced…

I’d be honest and knowing me, may put your nose out of joint, but I hope I don’t when I say, get over it… it hasn’t done any real harm has it… if you don’t like that, I’m sorry, I mean no offence. That’s just how I see it really.

you are on here;) infact my cousin was stopped at a train station not long after 7/11 did he complain, not at all. he was happy to co-operate.

is that it!:smiley: you’ve always got summit to say!:wink:

I only wanna be searched if they’re gonna put their finger up my bum, otherwise - whats the point? ;):P:D

I’ve never been stopped and searched, but it wouldn’t bother me if i was. :slight_smile:

Saying it is for the greater good of society is exactly what the Government want you to think, so that they have licence to wield more and more control over you and your life all in the name of fighting terrorism.I think there were certain aspects depicting this country in the not to distant future in the film V for Vendetta that could ring quite true with this point of view.Eventually a dictatorship is imposed on wave of fear about terrorist attack and legislation is put in place to “protect” us for the “greater good”. It is actually quite scary how close we are to actually being in a situation similar to that which was depicted in that film.Yes, I was a bit shocked at being searched by the police for the first time ever in my life, but the bigger problem is that this is just a symptom of how our society is going. Legislation WILL be passed because of our fears and the more we allow the government to do it the further they will try and push it.

I agree entirely, it’s like carbon monoxide poisioning, slowly creeping over the country until one day, it’s too late. “For our own protection” is a phrase that puts more fear into me than almost any other phrase especially when you consider who is using it these days . . . and who is believing it ! :crying:

Now hold on, we’ve had various stages of Stop and Search for all sorts of things since the second World War and haven’t mutated into a dictatorship just yet… when is this mysterious MASS COLLAPSE of British values going to take place without us noticing…ok that may be a touch simplistic, and things are always being eroded, but other things are put in int heir place, not all of which are dictatorial and responsible for the collapse of Britain as we know it.

And frankly if the government want me to think something they can…that doesn’t mean I’m going to think it. In fact, the more they want me to think things, the less I will. I covered the 7th of July bombings as well as the bomb back at Canary Wharf… sure for someone who may not have experienced that kind of real-life blood in front of you and may never have been stopped before its a shocking invasion of your privacy… but honestly, I’d say you’re lucky to have had such a sheltered safe life, something which you owe to the efforts of those “invasive officers” who were hell bent on ruining your Saturday afternoon at the footie… evil gits that they are… :slight_smile:

The less I see of bomb craters and dismembered limbs the better I say… and if that occassionally means I have to swallow my pride and accept that someone in a uniform just wants to make sure Im no threat to the people that its his job to protect, that works for me…

toby…We are one of the most watched societies in the world - that is an undeniable fact.

Isn’t that proof enough as to whether things are the same as they were?

I do not believe I was stopped and searched because the officer had a suspicion about me, that seems highly unlikely. I was stopped and searched so that it appears to be random, so that it appears to be not be targeted at black people or asian people or people of an Arabic descent.

We’re watched… so what…

A thousand times a day, police officers, security cameras, security guards, traffic wardens, Community Support Officers and and CCTV vans watch me as I drive, walk, go about my business, go shopping, go to the cinmea, chat with my girlfriend meet my friends, have a beer and on and on and on. So what…

If I’m gonna break the law, I’m sure as hell not going to stand in the middle of the High Street and do it… I’m also not gonna be dumb enough to tell anyone. There are a billion billion billion hours of people “doing stuff” so the F what!!!

What’s so special about you, that you think someone watching you is the breakdown of British society…christ there’s millions of us.

Crime still happens with or without all those cameras and all those millions of watchers. Normal stuff happens too. THe CAMERAS aren’t what you should be worried about. Its the knee jerk liberals who turn to tyranny that are the problem and so far as I can tell, that’s a politcial stance that NO ONE in the UK could even comprehend yet, let alone consider… so relax, you’re privacy may have been invaded for a few seconds, and your political wishbone may have been twanged, but Britain will still contain tea, football and a healthy dose of laissez faire tomorrow. Chill… you’re safe :smiley: