Scott Redding unsure of future in racing

Scott Redding is questioning his future in the sport after being involved in a high-speed fatal crash.

The 17-year-old, from Quedgeley, was riding at the San Marino Moto2 GP when Japanese rider Shoya Tomizawa, 19, lost control of his bike.

Both Redding and fellow rider Alex de Angelis then collided with the stricken Tomizawa.

He died of his injuries in hospital just hours after the crash on Sunday.

Now Redding’s father does not know if his son will ever return to the sport.

Redding sustained a cut to his back in the incident, needing 12 stitches, but was otherwise not seriously injured.

His father Adrian said: "Scott has now travelled from Italy to Spain, where he will be spending some time recuperating.

"He did have a problem with the stitches coming out from the injury to his back, and was back into hospital to have it seen to, but was back out straightaway.

"I have spoken to him briefly this morning and he is just sad in himself. It will do him good to be away for a while.

"He was not the Scott I know – he is really withdrawn – but he is getting a lot of support from people, via Facebook and elsewhere.

"We would like to say thank you to everyone for their kind words and thoughts, it means a lot.

“We would also like to send our thoughts and sympathy to Shoya’s family and friends.”

Redding senior said he was not certain his son would return to the sport.

“I am not sure if Scott will get back on his bike,” he said. "We all want him to, but I don’t know if this will have knocked him too much.

“It is early days and we will have to wait and see.”

Scott Redding was born and bred in Quedgeley, and began riding bikes competitively in 2001 at the age of eight.

He was the youngest ever winner of a Motogp 125 grand prix and has been dubbed as Gloucester’s answer to Valentino Rossi.

He was named rookie driver of the year in 2008 when he finished in 11th place in the championship.

Fans have been sending messages of support via The Gloucestershire Echo’s website at www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk.

Ade from Gloucester wrote: "Get well soon Scott, hope you make a swift recovery.

“The only positive from this is that he (Tomizawa) died doing the sport he loved and was at the front fighting for the top step. May he rest in peace.”

Matt, from Cheltenham, added: "I hope Scott Redding soon recovers from his injuries, although the mental effects of this accident will take longer to subside – they will never go completely.

“I just hope it doesn’t affect Scott’s career. He is a talented rider, and great prospect for a future world champion.”

Source | thisisgloucestershire

This kind of thing happens a lot more than is publicised, but as a racer you just try not to think about it. I console myself with the idea that the person that has left us would want us to ride in their name and not give up as a result of them. I think Scott will be back once he realises this.

+1

They all know the dangers and it’s not like this was the first or will be the last tragic death to come from racing. I’m sure with a little time Scott will be back and stronger mentally.

Hang in there kid you have a great future ahead of you.

Like testing next week and racing at the next round. :slight_smile:

That seems to be a different story to what LB is running on it’s front page:

http://londonbikers.com/news/15044/redding-ready-to-race-after-misano-tragedy

According to that report, Redding is ready to race!

I really rate the lad - I would imagine it’s natural for him to be disturbed by such a horrific accident.

I hope his team give him good support and get him through what will be a difficult period.

good news redding to test …

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/Redding+to+test+at+Valencia

I hate to see him stop as he is a very good racer and still young enough to be able to improove and maybe win a championship.