Riding in Germany is getting less fun

Motorcycle specific speed limits, banned from certain roads.

Strenght in numbers is the key phrase here, as motorcyclists take to the streets across the German nation as they battle motorcycle riding bans, bike-only speed limits, and ever more draconian laws.

The demonstrations took place in Nuremberg, Leipzig, Munich, Oldenburg and Cologne, also in Stuttgart, and according to reports the demos were held in accordance with social distancing measures and all outdoors.
German bikers have it tough at the moment, with local councils cracking down hard on all bikers. The B500 – one of the best riding roads in Europe – has been slapped with motorcycle-only 50kph limits. Some routes have even seen complete motorcycle bans on all days. One such road is the L687 between Rönkhausen and Wildewiese (again, another stunning stretch of road) which is reported to have been closed to bikes for reasons of safety. The cynic in me puts the reason being its close proximity to the small towns that perhaps prefer the quiet life.

The situation has got so bad, European Motorcyclists Federation, FEMA, has waded in, calling for a round-table discussion between riders, stakeholders and the government last year. We can only assume those talks are not going as planned, hence the recent protests.
And they aren’t finished yet, more demos are planned for later in the year, with the next one scheduled to take place in August. The hope is that the show of force from those that have to use the roads (and those that simply want to enjoy them) can help prevent further restrictions being loaded onto the two-wheeled community.

From here: Thousands of German motorcyclists demonstrate against r... | Visordown

Fuuuuck. The B500 is amazing, or amazingly boring at 50kph

We could go and ride it flat out on mopeds.

1 Like

So what;s the speed limit for motor vehicles other than motorcycles?

Outside of urban areas it’s normally 100kph

Been meaning to go there for years, should have done while it was God

1 Like

I’m gonna be honest that sounds like a right laugh

Yeah, with our feet on the rear indicators and chin on the speedo. I did that once on my RD350YPVS on the way to Silverstone with some friends.

1 Like

I’d leave Martin Luther out of this.

I’m missing something here. Surely mo’cycles haven’t been restricted to 50 kph (30 mph ish) while other traffic on the same road is hurling up behind them at 100 kph (60 mph ish). Road rage will be prolific where in their frustration at the slower speed motorists will be too quick to overtake and probably do so at the most inappropriate moment from the safety of their cages. Motorcyclists will be at a very greater and real risk of being mowed down or run off the road.

Imagine the scenario where two motorcyclists approaching each other from opposite directions with impatient cagers behind each of them looking for a quick overtake. Then there will be motorists tail gating the motorcycles as if they could push them along to a higher speed.

Will the tail gating, dangerous overtakes etc be policed and enforced with the same vigour as motorcyclists exceeding the reduced mo’cycle speed limit?

2 Likes

I would image their thinking is that if we cripple motorcyclists speed then they won’t go there. What they need to do is a organise a massive ride out down the B500 with hundreds of motorcyclists riding at the speed limit.

But you’re right that it is a potential recipe for increasing road accidents.

2 Likes

In single file with a two second gap, up and down and round and round.

1 Like

on a Bank Holiday weekend

1 Like

This is getting more and more evil. I like it. :joy:

Like me old Mum says - ‘if a jobs worth doing
’

It would be interesting to see if this is being motivated/excused by accident stats or just locals pissed off by so many bikes visiting the area & using it as a racetrack.

I think it’s the latter from comments I’ve read on some adv groups I’m in.

1 Like

Hmmm
 yes, so a bunch of bikes travelling at 50kph holding up all the unrestricted vehicles is going to be really popular, isn’t it. Tbh I would think it’s likely to cause accidents.

1 Like

Which would no doubt give them the grounds they need to ban bikes from it completely.

1 Like

OOPS! presumably these actions are driven by adverse statistics/ complaints concerning motorcyclists behaviours
our machines themselves are not the issue I feel. Perhaps ,if we are ,“sticking out like an obvious sore thumb” we will need to ,at least, consider what we need to do next Conflict is almost certainly not appropriate as, “They” have the numbers,Law & figures on their team! Edward.