Riding in France !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK people I will say sorry now for firstly not seeing it on here (if it has been) and secondly if it’s in the wrong section, I’ve read a couple of post’s about even more stupidity from the French officials. Not only did the make it illegal to ride without hi viz (and then change their mind), they’ve now come up with stickers for your crash helmet’s. Just in case you haven’t seen it here is the link http://ukfrancebikers.com/2013/03/16/france-compulsory-reflective-stickers-on-all-helmets/

I’ve just ordered mine as I can find nothing to say they have changed their mind on this issue, If I didn’t have bad luck I’d have none at all so I got mine from evilbay from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261187859036?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I hope this helps some of you out but don’t wan’t to be giving those thieve’s any thing you don’t have to.

All the best John

Should have saved your money, it’s been the law there for years, no-one pays a blind bit of notice to it… :slight_smile:

Been over there alot and never had an issue tbh. I find if your doing 150 on the motorway then your going to get nicked SIMPLEZ.

Looking forward to what Westie has to say on the subject…!

I would not be suprised if sticking those stickers on a UK purchased crash helmet would invalidate the warranty. They also are designed to damage the helmet if removed.

Not sticking anything on my £580 x-Spirit!!

Going to France next Friday :slight_smile:

I got slated on another forum for posting that link. I’ve got mates in France who I’ll ask about it, in the grand scheme of things those dots won’t solve the problems in France. Kerbing their lunchtime boozing and over eating would be better for road safety IMHO

screw that Im not sticking those on my brand new matte black Schuberth helmet

As has been said above, it’s highly unlikely that you’ll get done for not having them. Unless you’re doing silly speeds they usually don’t bother.

Oh and it was never illegal to ride without Hi-Viz, it was a proposed law that never got passed.

I bought a Shark helmet recently (made in France) and wondered what the sheet of stickers was for.
There are ten of us going in June to Pyrenees but no-ones getting those as far as I know. I think you are obliged to take spare bulbs etc - can anyone confirm?

To the best of my knowledge you have to carry spare bulbs/lamps (cue bulb vs lamp discussion} for your bike. Don’t forget also you will need two disposable breathalyzers with you as well… (assuming you are riding through france to the Pyreneés?)

My ride stats from Cherbourg to Pau (On a Bonneville T100)…

While technically true about the breathalyzers, the fine is only 11 euros but they can’t actually do you for it. It’s become quite a joke in France since it was introduced

for the sake of a fiver and the space under my seat that used to be occupied by 20 B&H back in the day I don’t mind… one less thing for them to get crappy about. Just my 2p worth

I agree, but the whole law is a joke. For example, you go to dinner with some friends and have a drink. You come out, get in the car and use the breathalyzer to check if you’re ok to drive. It’s ok you are, but according to the letter of the law you can’t drive home because you now only have 1 un-opened breathalyzer in the car. It’s just ridiculous.

I agree it’s ridculous, there are all sorts of daft laws, both there and here… My experience with plod abroad has been positive so far; I don’t want that to change, and if that means playing along with their silly laws (which I suspect they find equally daft) then so be it…

Yeah I agree, my original point is/was that if you don’t have them it’s not an immediate panic moment.

The law only ever required a single unused breathalyser, there has never been a requirement for any more.

Buy one breathalyser & don’t drink drive, simples! :slight_smile:

you’re right, my mistake is only one. Same principal still applies though. According to the AA website however: "January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance."

So I wouldn’t bother

The one I would be more concerned with is the new unsigned speed cameras, in conjunction with the “no speed camera detectors” law (which includes sat-navs with speed camera warnings). Some sat navs you can turn off speed camera alerts, some require a database update that will remove camera warnings for France. So worth checking before you head over.

Over all though, if you’re sensible, you’ll be fine. When you’re not in cities, chances are the gendarmes will view dealing with foreigners as more hassle than they’re worth.

Yeah that’s why I like Britain, stupid big yellow boxes :smiley: Also a reason why I’m saving rideout to France for last - I’m definitely gonna get banned on that one :smiley:

You’ll love it, riding in France is great. I can’t wait to get back over again, it’s been far too long.