Recommend a portable power bank

Got to +1 this Anker

[Most Compact 20000mAh Portable Charger] Anker PowerCore 20100 - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank with Most Powerful 4.8A Output, PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad and Samsung Galaxy and More (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_ZiaQwbGNJYRZD

I’ve had a couple of ankers and they’ve been great. I’ve had several cheapo ones and they’ve been fine. It doesn’t seem there’s much difference between them other than the rated power, really. 

Some have a ‘handy’ integrated torch that you can accidentally leave on to make sure the battery is flat by the time you come to use it, though…

@nivag. I think you still have one of mine.

@joby if your with ee you can get a free one and if it is empty you can pop into an ee shop and swap it for a fully charged one at no cost either.

Nick, seriously?
That’s marvellous news, my boss is always complaining about battery life (iPhone 5s) she will be so pleased!

Yeah, though they recalled them all for catching fire so I’m not sure how unattended I’d leave them.

@joby if your with ee you can get a free one and if it is empty you can pop into an ee shop and swap it for a fully charged one at no cost either. Changyammi
Personally I would say don't bother with this.  They're something like 2,000 or 3,000 mAh and only put 50% charge into my phone (Nexus 6 at the time).  It's okay in an emergency, but not suited to what you're asking here.  I would rather carry a 6,000mAh at least, to know I'm getting at least one full charge.

I don’t think you can go far wrong if you simply pick one from Amazon with at least 4 stars.  Anker are good, I currently have an Aukey which I use.  In fact I still have an Floureon 14,000 knocking about somewhere you could have if you pass through Barnet at all.  It’s a little old now though, so maybe you’d be better buying new.

Wow, just seen the 820 only has a 1,650mAh battery.  I guess the EE stick might be enough for one reasonable boost.

Yup Nick, I’ve still got it and can confirm the EE one will give my Sony Z1 a little boost of a few hours but won’t fully charge it. It struggled to charge my mates Garmin cycle computer.

I found the EE one more useful as a torch

Just for the record it’s FREE and will charge my iPhone 6 from 5% to 100%. In the year I’ve had it, it has not burst into flames. I’m very happy with it.

Thanks all. I had one of the smaller Anker ones (Anker PowerCore+ mini) that was pants and then I bought a Belkin One from Sainsbury's (Belkin Boost Battery Pack) that was equally pants. Was wondering if there is a tipping point / price point after which they actually work. I'll look into the options above.

Interesting that the cable make a big difference.

Joby
Well that's the issue here, that you were using single 18650 cell power banks. They will charge a phone fully one, maybe max 1.5 times depending what you got as 18650 have limited capacity (I believe 3400mAh is the biggest you can get). So get a bigger capacity power bank with multiple cells and the problem is sorted.

Edit: Never mind,  I assume 18650 is a typo. 

Joby, will reply to PM shortly. 

Just bought the Anker E5, my phone keeps dying on Sunday rides so hopefully will get lots of use out of this. Will charge an iPhone 7 times according to Amazon

I have been using the portapow ones from a company in Bromley - check out ebay and online store. Seem good quality reliable kit that doesn’t fall apart like the cheap Chinese crap

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PortaPow-10200mAh-Battery-Built-Micro/dp/B00KZLXUR4