Re-home problem dog

Commuter-Boy - I believe the vet has given a quote already.

Try a shock collar

My daughter mentioned a shock collar and they may have a use, but there will be times when the remote (I assume they work via a remote?) is not on you?

…And they break a lot. Buy a couple, not cheap either. I refuse to use them but if needs must it’s better than putting a dog down.

the remote is the size of a key ring you can always carry it with you… the dog won’t educate himself, you need some will to do it (or whoever owns the dog). Someone said that you can judge society by the way they treat their animals… better a shock until trained that a shot of penthotal. I don’t think the problem lays with the dog here.

They are good as temporary solution. They need to be used at the right moment so that’s the tricky bit.

Right, an update.

They have had a dog trainer/therapist around again, he came a few weeks ago to give advice. He suggested that when he saw the dog this evening, they were shut in the other room, that a muzzle wouldn’t be required. The dog was kind of ok with him at first then suddenly went for him. He advised that was a protective manner and she (the dog) could have bitten him instead of mouthing him, she quietened down again. His advice was training all round should be reconsidered. On getting up to leave some time later (he was there for 2hrs) she went for him again, this time he agreed that this was aggression and not protective issue and there is no way the dog can be taken out unmuzzled and he could see the justification for the dog being put to sleep. He suggested having the dog examined by the vet to see if she if in some kind of pain, causing this.

I have seen and heard enough, my kids are there and its only a matter of time before the unthinkable happens, the dog get a single ticket to the vets as far as I am concerned. If there’s still any doubters about the dogs presence in society, feel bring your kids, nieces or nephews over for the afternoon before getting on your soapboxes. Thank you all for your contributions, whether I wanted to hear them or not, they added balance to the thought process required. Tis a sad day. I’ll keep you posted.

@SneakyMcC - its obvious it was a tough decision - but the kids safety always comes first.

It’s a sad ending for the poor thing but looks like a family home is def out. Would the poor unfortunate creature be happy guarding a scrapyard? Looks like we’ll never know.

Funnily enough Jets, that was my thought. But being chained up in an oily yard is no life either

I completely understand your worry with this and of course your kids’ and others’ safety comes first. However, surely it would be better to drop her at a Dogs Trust or RSPCA centre and give them a chance to try and work with her. If she wasn’t always like this then something’s clearly caused the current behaviour and with some time and patience maybe she can be helped. I’m pretty sure they’d take her if they knew the next (and last) stop was the vet if they didn’t…

MLK yep doesn’t sound good,what a shame,the worry thing for me is when you said your daughter just came home with a dog where was she getting them from and who just gives a 16 year old girl a dog.

The trainer agrees the previous owner was likely having the same issues, hence they poured her off on to the first person to come along. I think adding the 2nd dog has brought the issue forward. The rspca have an answer phone setup and constantly return calls when my ex is working.

the dog clearly needs a more experienced home, and no kids.
his behaviour is obviously caused by humans action not by its own will, as an animal preferred/natural state is of calmness not stress. the fact that the dog ‘seems’ calm then suddenly reacts to what appears to be ‘nothing’ is a clear sign that the animal is in permanent state of stress and its taking control of the situation at best as he know, which is to react violently. this trainer you brough around was not the right person, you need an animal behaviourist not a trainer. no animal can be trained when in that state.

a couple of questions,

• any of the animals are neutered? if not get that done asap
  • how long do they walk per day?
  • what you feeding them?
  • as suggested, get the dog with the issues checked for what could be mistaken for aggression, it could also be an actual mental problem. dogs can have mental issues and that unfortunately has no cure.

George, I’m with you mate, The Kids safety will always be priority. I’m a dog lover and have rehomed and rescued dogs in the Past, but if the Dog is dangerous it needs to Go, Ridgebacks are powerful dogs for there Build, add to that it may have Mastiff in it then you have a potential life changer on your hands if it attacks. I would maybe try and get it to Battersea before trying the Vets or Maybe calling the Police and saying you found it as a Stray, Its in someone else’s Hands then, I know its not the ideal soloution for the Dog but it’s the best for the Family

The reason I’m suggesting the Dogs Trust or RSPCA over Battersea is that, as far as I understand it, Battersea can and DO put animals to sleep if they run out of space and can’t rehome them quickly.

Agreed, family first… Too bad it has to end this way, but better safe than sorry, dogs can kill and are ultimately animals that act by instinct. You don’t want to ruin somebody’s live because your dog managed to jump a fence and get free on the streets.