Quick Tyre question

I’m about to get some rubber fitted to my R1 and I’m undecided about something:

I currently have Diablo’s fitted - the rear is now shot but the front has plenty of life left; now I want Diablo corsa’s but I’m not sure if I should get both front and back fitted - OR - shall I get just the rear done and have leave the front.

REAR - Diablo Corsa

FRONT - Diablo

What do you guys think?

p.s. dont worry about responding to this post after today as i’m getting them sorted in the morn so i can get MOT.

Two new ones are always best, but if you can’t go for that then mixing a D and DC together would be fine, I’d have thought. DC’s rock, simple as.

NEVER fit a stickier tyre on the rear than you have on the front. The front will let go before the rear and you really don’t want that to happen.

Good thought, though how hard will you be pushing a part-worn front tyre? Personally, in the summer, I’ll always change front and back at the same time, because of the trackdays where you are using much more of the tyres performance.

agree with that, the proflies are similar but dc stickier

I go through almost 2 front tyres for each rear on my blade so VERY hard on mine. I’m also very heavy on discs and pads. Brake deep brake hard and wiggle that rear in the air.

maybe the two of you could get a deal going, you get two fronts and one rear, he gets two rears and one front?

When changing tyres and going for different varieties, its always best to change both. If the front still has plenty of wear, why not put the same on the back as now and change both next time round.

I normally run a soft compound front and a medium rear. Get around 5000 miles out of a set and thats on my heavy and cumbersome ZX7. Front usually wears before the back, something to do with over exuberant braking into a corner apparently.

The Diablo and Diablo Corsas are almost identical in pattern and profile but they do have slightly differing handling characteristics due to the construction. Stan, it`s best to buy a matching pair, alternatively get another Diablo to match the front.
In almost all cases mixing tyres is not recommended.

RE; sticking a stickier tyre on the rear.
Having a grippier tyre on the rear will not make you any more likely to lose the front. Very often the front is working almost entirely on its own, ie;when braking hard in a straight line. Grip will not be lost because the rear is stickier but because youve braked too hard and lost front traction or lost front traction due to pushing the front going into a corner. Sorry to pee on your chips guys, but its an important topic.

Hope you get this in time stan.

The voice of wisdom!

ya see ive got a diablo on the rear and i need a new front i was thinking getting the corsa would that make any difference or like ya say dya think i should match the rear

RE; sticking a stickier tyre on the rear.
Having a grippier tyre on the rear will not make you any more likely to lose the front. Very often the front is working almost entirely on its own, ie;when braking hard in a straight line. Grip will not be lost because the rear is stickier but because youve braked too hard and lost front traction or lost front traction due to pushing the front going into a corner. Sorry to pee on your chips guys, but its an important topic.

I didn’t say using a stickier rear would make you lose grip on the front I said using a stickier rear would mean the front would let go before the rear. A very different statement.

Having a stickier rear tyre compared to the front can give people a false sense of security as the rear isn’t stepping out so are more likely to push the front resulting in an accident.

As to mixing and matching tyre types and brands no factory would recommend you mix brands but many have recommended using a stickier front tyre from the same series. The original Pirelli Dragon and Dragon Corsas are a good example of this.

Cheers guys - great responses, well helpful

Went with the corsa’s front and rear in the end as recomended. - all sorted now

corona_gixxa - have a spare Diablo front if your interested?

Im more than happy to discuss the finer points of traction with you at one of the meets etc, but briefly (before the anorak bashers get me) A stickier tyre on the back does not meanthe front will let go before the rearit is dependant upon mainly the reasons i said in the earlier post. I was not aware of riders being given afalse sense of security in the front because the rear is not stepping outso push the front more. I hope there are not many riders out there who think or practice this as its dangerous.
Basically if you have a stickier tyre on the rear and a less stickier or older tyre on the front. Then you should ride accordingly.

re, There is no law in mixing tyres of the same brands and they will work, But to get optimum performance they are best used in matching pairs, they are after all sold that way.
The tyres you talk about combining will work but are will offer differing warming up speeds and wear rates and are not the recommended match.

Maybe this should be left until another time but as a parting shot you have continued to mis-quote me even in your last post and I haven’t recommended any tyres in this thread.