Question for Commuters (A2 related)

Update:

A2 is getting closer. I’ve got a shortlist.

KTM Duke 390KTM RC 390Yamaha XT660XHonda CB500f

Currently debating between the Duke and the XT660X.

Has anyone here got experience with the XT? Looks like a fun bike, don’t see it on the roads often (if at all), and probably pretty comfy which is a bonus for longer rides.

What a lovely 125, just took a look at some pictures! Welcome to the Forum.

KTM 390 Duke, KTM RC390 (out this summer)

both very manoeuvrable, light, fun, powerful machines. you will have a hoot on either, and the wheelbase and position are similar to what you have now, but are capable of 3 figure speeds. single cylinder so stacks of torque, and somehow bonkers MPG.

Definitely considering the RC390, just want the bloody thing to get released. Dealer in Hemel could not get me a price but looks like 5k now. Would also be easier as I could trade in.

I have seen you on the A4 , Workshop is in Feltham and run in to the city either A4 or 316 route . You could pick up low miles well loved 990 superduke for less then 5k .

What d’ya ride? I imagine there are quite a few on here who I’ll have seen.

Can’t get anything like that as A2 license has a BHP restriciton. But would love a bigger duke.

Funnily enough I have a well loved low miles superduke :D… but for the city runs its a big white van with flashy lights .

Update:

A2 is getting closer. I’ve got a shortlist.
KTM Duke 390KTM RC 390Yamaha XT660XHonda CB500f
Currently debating between the Duke and the XT660X.

Has anyone here got experience with the XT? Looks like a fun bike, don’t see it on the roads often (if at all), and probably pretty comfy which is a bonus for longer rides.

For commuting on an A2 Licence the choice is clear 4. Honda CB500F although looking at your list and what your riding now you don’t want to hear that.

1. and 2. The duke 390, lacks comfort and tank range for a commuter.
  2. Yamaha XT660X if its an adventure bike you want this is probably the best on your list although its merits as a commuter have to be questionable.

If you really really want a commuter and an adventure bike why not do just that. Buy second hand and your budget will stretch to both.

get the cb500f. Running costs are low and it ticks all the boxes.

or… get the bike that you WANT and get an old cb500 for like £600. they are as reliable as the tide and get 200 on a tank

The CB just seems dull. I’ll be riding on weekends too, out of the city. I don’t have the space for 2 bikes. If you wanted something to do a bit of everything on, would the XT not seem sensible? Comfortable, nippy, small/agile enough to commute on; quick enough to take on the motorway.

It is a pity the Australia-only Street Triple 660 isn’t available here in the UK.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com.au/bikes/street-triple/2015/street-triple-660

Yes- this is what they let learners in Australia ride. :wink:

The 660x

The tenere which hasn’t been mentioned but is yam’s middleweight adventure bike:

You need to wait two years before you can move up to a full licence, right? Bear that in mind, because undoubtedly you will be wanting something bigger when that time comes.

My advice is get the bike you’re going to have the most fun on, you won’t just be using it for commuting and with more power than your 125, you will be taking it further afield.
You also need something that you can have fun on when riding through Arts backyard :smiley:

Have you considered something like a GSX650f?
You can restrict them easily enough and they are a good, cheap, reliable and reasonably fast sports/tourer type.
A mate of mine has one (unrestricted) and he commutes on it all year around, rides it at weekends and the occasional trip from London to Brum.

I haven’t considered anything that’s above the A2 limit, pretty much because insurance costs will be sky high.

Does look nice in orange mind.

Fair enough- yes it is the only colour I’d have one in myself.

I had an XT660X got it brand new some years ago … I quickly traded the gutless wheezy heavy lump of crap in for a proper supermoto . It did wheelie but it took some effort , I did ride it from London to Belfast … but it also took some effort . Pretty much every other Softymoto will leave you standing even a BMW funduro is faster .

It also had a heavy tail light habit … ate about one a month .

Coming from a fellow KTM lover that does put me off a bit.

Anyone on here had a CB500F/R?

The GSX650F is much nicer in black (I ride one so I’m biased ;-)).

I’ve actually ridden one restricted to 33bhp (loan bike while mine was being worked on), and it was pretty good at road speeds - you only really started to feel the restriction at 80mph+, but at twisty speeds it didn’t feel like they’d taken much away (especially if you keep it between 10k-14krpm).