Punctures in tubeless

Tubeless tyres, how do you fix your punctures? Do you do it yourselves? Use a temporary fix then leave it forever?

Had a nail in my rear tyre…foolishly pulled it out and it went flat. Was at home so I put a screw in the hole and have taken the bike to the shop.

Seems there were two holes close together.

I carry a compressor and something similar to this in the top box

Last used in April, puncture repaired at the road side in about 30 minutes. I’m told this type of repair is temporary but having run one in the car for 25,000 miles I figured I’d take a chance on The 250. That tyre is now squaring off but 7,000 miles later its still in service and the repair remains air tight.

2 Likes

I’ve got a temp fix kit under the seat and some gas canisters.
While I’ve used the temp fix loads of times I’ve always been near a petrol station or someone with a pump so have used that.
I’ll get a proper mushroom plug fitted asap but have gone over 300 miles on a temp fix before.

1 Like

i carry a temp plug kit & a small eletric pump

then get in inside out plugged at a tyre shop

1 Like

I have that kit, never used it. This time I put a screw in the hole as i was advised against making the hole too big and therefore unrepairable .

I have repaired a tyre using the worms. Here is a link to see how simple it is Puncture repair 24 9 2016 - YouTube

As nivag said above, it is always best to have the tyre removed and repaired from the inside using a mushroom by a professional tyre fitter. The usual fee for that, including removing the wheel from a bike is £25.

2 Likes

Had this recently, got the mushroom type plug put in for about £30 (1st line honda wanted £70 though)

1 Like

I have the sticky worms kit and a few gas canisters (i’ve never had to use the gas). As NT said above, it’s supposed to be a short term repair and generally i get them professionally plugged but i have run them for weeks without losing air when i couldn’t get to the garage.

1 Like

I never leave home without my Crafty Plugger sticky string kit (as recommended to me many years ago by Mike of Essential Rubber, and purchased from Chas Bikes in Kennington), bought it about ten years ago, used two strings the past couple of weeks but have two left. Nice and compact and very quick and easy to use. I usually limp to the nearest petrol station and fix it there where compressed air is readily available. For longer trips to more remote areas I pack this, not had to use it yet…

1 Like

As mentioned above, I also use the “temp” plugs. I once got a new tyre fitted and one week later, a puncture. Used my temp fix and ran that for two years or so before getting a new tyre. I don’t advise copying my ‘cheapness’ but I guess that’s an indication of their robustness.

Also - I have a battery powered compressor that I grabbed from Lidl. Great bit of kit

2 Likes

When I changed my last rear tire we counted three of my plugs in it.