Police rules on moped chases 'create highwaymen'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40658000

Thoughts?

I think it has been said enough.

Not far off the truth.
I caught the end of Death Wish 3 last night and thought we weren’t far off someone going Charles Bronson and taking the law into their own hands.

But the Met Police said officers "can and will" carry out pursuits if they assess that it is safe to do so
Trouble is, the scrotes will keep pushing it until it's not 'safe'

I saw a scrote at the weekend on a sports bike just casually running red lights with no plate like he was on a push bike. Total disregard for the law and not a care in the world. They really think they are above the law.

I share their sentiment. Police should be fully backed in case a scrote is injured or dies when under pursuit. If you run, be prepared to get hurt

One scrote on a scooter with a helmet and two helmetless scrote pillions (yup 3 up) going down Grays Inn Road at 5pm yesterday without a care in the world apart from covering their faces…

At least they cover their faces, probably look similar to a diseased giraffe’s diarrhoea

Not just scooter crime.  Looks like crime is now going through the roof, I wonder why?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40665733

Not just scooter crime.  Looks like crime is now going through the roof, I wonder why?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40665733
Kevsta
its the fault of the police service
its the fault of the police service
Wise
Why?

its the fault of the police service Wise
Why?
T.C
its easy to blame the ones that cant answer back

its the fault of the police service Wise
Why? T.C
its easy to blame the ones that cant answer back
Wise
Ah, so you were being rhetorical?  Got you...

My comment to the headline is ‘spot on’.
The IPCC are at the heart of why the police are unable to pursue if there’s a danger to the thieving idiot recklessly riding the stolen moped/bike. MAG, We Ride London and 2 highly active Bike theft groups are lobbying very hard to have the pursuit policy reviewed and revised if you fancy individually adding your voices to the 20k+ other bikers.
Having a sentencing policy without teeth is also causing the highwayman explosion.
A lack of understanding in the wider public is also part of the problem…they don’t know what they’re seeing right in front of them every day, they prefer to video the assaults on bikers and thefts from parking bays with only a few actually retaliating - of all those that have retaliated, all the thieves have ridden/run away.
Continual and repeated inaccurate coverage by the media is also a major factor…too much focus is made on us bikers not allegedly securing our bikes properly, the recent use of acid as a weapon and how many mobile phones are being snatched by these thieves…very very rarely is the underlying theft of our bikes mentioned, let alone the fact they commit all these ‘moped enabled crimes’ on our stolen bikes, blatantly sell our stolen bikes on FB Selling pages, eBay etc and leave us to pick up the exorbitant costs to repairing/recovering/future insurance premiums.  
Finally, large swathes of the general biker community either aren’t aware or don’t care about the theft epidemic…Jay attended a meeting with MAG and the Motorcycle Crime Prevention Community reps last week so big shout out to LB for supporting the ongoing campaigning and lobbying.

But there is even more lobbying going on by these groups that underpin this crime epidemic and will hopefully make our daily rides safer and get our positive contribution to London’s congestion and pollution problems being recognised on equal terms with the cyclists…getting Councils and TfL to put ground anchors, bars etc for us to secure our bikes to when parked up, getting security companies to up their game with devices we can buy, getting bike manufacturers to up their game with inbuilt security/tracker devices, TfL to remove bikes from the proposed ULEZ charge, TfL and London councils to launch a joined up access to all bus lanes for us to ride in.

I have attempted to draw the BBC,s attention to the problem of motorcycle theft in London, seemingly no interest, perhaps it should also be pointed out that a “moped” is in fact a motorised pushbike, the thieves are using"scooters", so media, get it right!

I have attempted to draw the BBC,s attention to the problem of motorcycle theft in London, seemingly no interest, perhaps it should also be pointed out that a "moped" is in fact a motorised pushbike, the thieves are using"scooters", so media, get it right! ColinThorne
it wouldn't be in the best interests of the BBC to start telling the truth
 of all those that have retaliated, all the thieves have ridden/run away. Toothless

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3841292/former-celebrity-bodyguard-ricky-hayden-was-stabbed-to-death-by-machete-wielding-teens-he-thought-wanted-to-steal-his-brothers-scooter/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brave-motorcyclist-films-horrifying-moment-8580241

It’s easy to say people are cowards and should do more, but why should people risk their lives for other peoples property?  If they do applaud them, but don’t judge people for not doing so.

I don’t think that many people would be under any illusions as to the intentions of a bunch of balaclava wearing scrotes cutting the lock off a motorbike with a grinder but in the last few days we’ve had stories of thieves using knives and acid to steal bikes, sometimes as a first move (ie the victim wasn’t even resisting the theft). There are numerous videos of thieves (often in large groups) threatening passers by with hammers etc when they tried to intervene.

Do you really expect people to get involved in those circumstances? I certainly don’t.

A lack of understanding in the wider public is also part of the problem.....they don't know what they're seeing right in front of them every day, they prefer to video the assaults on bikers and thefts from parking bays with only a few actually retaliating - of all those that have retaliated, all the thieves have ridden/run away. Toothless

Sorry guys, I had no intention of implying the public or bike owner should always intervene when one of these thieving gangs go for our bikes…and yes, it was the tragic death of Ricky Hayden that first drew my attention to just how godawful the bike theft situation was coming.
And my comment about public understanding of what’s going on was not a dig that people wouldn’t put 2 and 2 together, but that it’s generally known that in London people don’t tend to be that aware of what’s going on around them - for example, pedestrians largely will pay attention to fellow pedestrians, what’s in the building windows, looking at their mobile phone, talking to the friend they’re walking with etc - and likely to only pay attention on what’s happening on the road next to them if they hear unexpected noise or are looking to cross it (hopefully).
What I clearly failed to say, so will try better this time (!)…is that the video clips I’ve seen in the last 6 months recorded by someone obviously watching the thieves (or a dash cam) do their best to steal a bike has then included action where a group of 2-4 people (bike owner? friends? random group of innocent passersby?etc) have started running and shouting at the thieves with whatever object they’ve managed to grab from the street/office and the thieves have left empty handed. I’ve included one video as an example, but the one I can’t seem to find was the group of thieves who got chased off by a smartly dressed lady who confronted them while dozens looked on and filmed her.

And yes, I’ve also seen the videos where the thieves go for people with weapons and angle grinders. And I honestly don’t know what I’d do if I saw it happening right in front of me…there’s a lot to say for ‘it’s not worth losing your life over a bike’ but I also know how angry and upset I’ve been ever since a gang of these scrotes tried to jack me for my beloved bike at a set of red lights from which I got a slash down by favourite jacket arm and a fine for jumping a red light! 

Maybe I’m a chicken, but I’ve since used this anger and upset to put my energies into signing up to MAG, We Ride London and the Motorcycle Crime Prevention Community and work with them to do the only lawful thing I can in getting the right authorities educated, get a positive momentum in accurate reporting and PR coverage, constantly lobby local and national politicians and be a pain in the arse on every post on social media and online media outlets that covers this issue.