Police accident prevention

If you cross a road and cause vehicles to hit the brakes or get hit by one … then yeah it’s your stupid fault .

The trouble is from the video you can’t see anyone on the back seat, so how were the police to know ?

They don’t know which is part of the problem, but they do know the risks of a high speed pursuit . And for a few gram of coke or some weed is it worth the life of someone not involved ? From what I read they knew who he was , where he lived , that was his car , would picking him up later at home not be the more prudent course of action . High speed chases along public roads should be reserved for extra special the risk of them escaping would cause greater risk to the public than the chase . Some low level idiot selling a few pills is not that big a risk .

Looked to be closer to 100 mph to me, certainly over 95 mph. Aside from the speed and poor visibility the second rider was an accident waiting to happen. Inexperience + riding too close + target fixation = collision.

Why blame the Police Officer?

The first rider managed to stop.

The third rider managed to stop.

Also notice how the first and third riders drift towards the centre of the road as if they’ve seen their escape route in case they fail to stop in time. The second rider just saw his path obstructed and ploughed straight in.

LOL, you’re funny… In that fog I didn’t seen vehicle behind first one and first one was stopping.

R

completely the officers fault. if your stupid enough to walk out in front of something expecting it to slow or stop im sorry but if it hits you, it is your fault for being a moron.

if he had the speed reading and sore they wear speeding he should not of risked walking out.

No one hit the officer at all and if they don’t try and stop people speeding, well then they may just as well stay at home and have a cup of tea…

Exactly.

Is that I’m mph or kph
Pin

As they are traveling on left side of the road I would assume MPH but f… knows Sir.

R

I’d like to think it’s mph

There’d really be no reason not to have stopped had it been kph

And as usual you are correct Mr Art.

Suzuki TL1000

[quote]
SimoninEssex (05/01/2014)

Yeah - but sometimes speed traps do come across as counter productive when they cause accidents that would never had happened had they not been there - like the news item a couple of years back of footage taken from a speed cam van of speeding cars locking up and going into spins when drivers clocked the van and slammed their brakes on in panic - maybe Police should just stick to traffic cars and bikes were they can film the offence and carry out controlled stops.

i know the officer was not hit i didn’t word it right i meant that if he had not of walked there would of not been a accident so it was his fault he caused it.

they should stay at home and have a cup of tea there useless when you need them anyway.

The accident happened because:
A. The bikers were speeding.
B. The bikers were speeding, and some idiot jumped in front of them.

The answer looks pretty clear cut to me.

You can say all you want about those bikers riding beyond their skill, speeding, leaving a the gap between bikes for such low visibility/wet weather smaller than it should be. Or, that it could as well have been a deer that jumped in front of them. Yet it doesn’t change the fact that the cop was supposed to be the reasonable one here (more reasonable than a deer at the very least). He has the power to stop you, so maybe he should use it wisely? It never occured to him that jumping in front of some amateur bikers speeding at 100mph in this foggy, wet weather, glued together might not be a good idea. One could have easily concluded from the speed and the weather conditions that safety is not paramount to these bikers, hence practicing emergency stops is probably not their favorite passtime (except for stoppies, of course). Let’s just say, if he can’t safely stop speeding motorists, he shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

FFS how many accidents are caused by fixed speed cameras, where speeding motorists stand on the brake and the following motorist hits them up the arse. I suppose the answer then is somebody should remove them in poor conditions. Who would you want to blame then. :hehe:

Look here is a summary.

What could the cop be held responsible for?

1. The cops are there with a speed gun. Their job at that time was to identify speeding motorists, stop them and take appropriate action (ticket/warning/whatever). In other words - he did what he was there to do and what he is trained to do. Few of us have that job or that training - so perhaps we should try to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he is doing.
  2. When the cop saw the first bike speeding he has a tiny window of time to decide whether it was safe to try to stop the bike. He decided yes. He probably hadn’t even seen the second bike when he made that call, BUT he made the right call - because the first rider was able to stop.

What could the biker (the second in the group) be held responsible for?

1. He was clearly riding faster than 90MPH. It was foggy, the roads were slippery, and he clearly didn’t have as much skill as the bloke he was trying to follow.
  2. He locked up his rear wheel so doesn’t know how to use the f’ing brakes.
  3. He didn’t have an escape route planned. He hit an object about 2 foot wide on a 10 foot lane.

I just cannot imagine how anyone could look at that and think it was anyone else at fault other than the biker. I think people today are way to quick to blame the wrong people - especially if they are cops doing their jobs. Come on people, think it through…

If they cause more accidents than prevent - most definitely, yes, they should be removed. But that’s beside the point. The speed cameras can’t think for themselves, the copper in this video (arguably) can. Assess the situation or act appropriately he did not.

If the cop had been at home drinking a cup of tea instead of carrying out badly thought out speed gun stops then the biker would also eventually be enjoying a cup of tea instead of lying on the ground next to his smashed up bike.