Podcast help...

With the Summer bash fast approaching and in relation to a recent thread with a simialr purpose can I ask that if you have a great camping tip you post it here. (thats camping a al tent and bike not camping a la Danny La Rue dear)…

Best ones will be suggested on the Podcast

I’ll start…
Don’t bring to much stuff.

dont forget the tent???

http://www.travellodge.co.uk

My tips are…

Roll your clothes rather than fold, and pack into carrier bags as soft bike luggage is rarely waterproof.

Before you go lay out all the stuff you think you’ll need then only pack half of it as that’s all you’ll probably use.

Steal little shampoo/shower gel bottles from hotels, even empty ones so you can decant your preferred stuff into them.

Double up with friends… no point in 5 people taking a tube of toothpaste each etc… but unless you’re really close, take your own toothbrush

Not helping…

Club together with your mates and try not to duplicate what you all bring :-

ie will the whole of the LB membership have to bring a can opener each ?

Communal sharing of cooking will reduce what you need to bring immensely.

And set up campsite and then go out for food from local supermarkets. Carting a weekends food and clothes and washkits and tents will make for heavy going.

i was not being cheeky btw - it happens u can forget the tent…

but to be fair - here we go…

1. Always take a roll of loo paper - can be used for various things…
  2. Spare batteries are always useful
  3. Always check the ground where u pitch and consider what will happen if it rains… look for ants nest, spider nests, rocks
  4. As your tent will be waterproof - roll things that do not like water in with the tent before packing it.
  5. always carry flip flops… some showers can be nasty - and i would rather use those in there then go barefoot…

and lastly, no matter how long you are going for always take an extra pair of underwear and an extra pair of socks…

Hexy burner for a brew

Thats a bit to wild mate Mess tins are ok on these stoves but campign kettles probably aren’t. But one gas or meths stove per four might be enough and would cut down on weight.

All great advice… my own to add to the mix ready for this weeks ‘touring special’ podcast is this…

… for the most part you don’t need cooking stuff… pubs nearby etc etc - but always make sure you have kit to make a brew.

m

I use a small coleman. They run on unleaded petrol so you’ve always got a ready supply in your bike tank. When you’ve finished with it just empty it back into the bike tank. It comes in its own little plastic box and folds away really small. You won’t need a kettle, just use the small pan you take and cover it with the tin plate for it to boil quicker. Jobs a good’un

Wondered why you’re always looking for a petrol station… and there was me thinking the 'Storm was thirsty with a tiny tank, hot roadside snacks never crossed my mind

They’re pretty good them coleman stoves

Jetboils rock

Attachments

That looks cool… how does it work?

m

Bin bags…

for when you’re caught chatting to the girls in the tent next door and your missus black bags’ you…

And for the wet stuff and the smelly pants…

Very good tip - I always forget a rubbish bag…