Please advice me for the test.

I went to the training school today after work and found two of the instructors chatting, I asked them to check my life saver check and they told me what I was doing was sufficient. They said that I need to look in the area that is not covered by the mirror. They said "Mirrors are for looking back while lifesaver is to check the blind spots on the right and left (as if someone standing next to you)

IanWilliamson: All valid points and yes I was waving when I was looking back, now my ride is solid.

Actually just today as I was riding back home, it may have saved my life. I was turning left at a round about so I left the dominent position and went to position one after doing morrirs signal then due to traffic I stopped. As I was about to move off, I did my lifesaver check only to see a car creep really close on my right! but because I did my life saver check I decided not to move and let the guy in a hurry go.

Forward Planning can make a big difference. Thing is my normal driving I always give the signal first and then check mirror to see if its safe to take action. Its so hard to do mirrors before signal because I dont think its safe to give signal and take action without looking in the mirrors do manoeuvre.

So right now I do mirrors, signal, mirrors manoeuvre!

I am not trying to just pass the test, I really want to ride safely. This training has made me understand how vulnerable a road user I am as a biker.

It’s called a lifesaver for a reason :wink:
No matter how observant and aware of the vehicles around you, a quick lifesaver hardly costs anything, so it’s always worth doing.

Stopping in the first or third position of the lane will often leave you open to “creepers”, they see it as an invitation to pull alongside you. Hell, in some rare cases they’ll even do it if you’re in the middle of the lane.

The point of a lifesaver - to know what is there in the blind spots of your mirrors.
If you need to know what is there, then look! Is there a car on your right? Is there a cyclist on your left?
The more you know what is going on, the more informed you are on your decisions. Whenever you don’t know enough, take action to know, and that usually comes from doing a ‘lifesaver’.
The more you ride, the more it will be apparent as to what you actually need to know. It really will become second nature to you. You will almost feel like you get a 6th sense about you. You sound like you are ‘getting it’ already - it’s not just something you have to learn for a test (unlike the dreaded U-turn, which I personally have never achieved since without putting that foot down!), it’s actually your best point of information that will be invaluable to you every time you go out.

Good luck with your test if you haven’t done it already. Let us know how you get on!

Slip the tester a few crisp twenty £s
Then ride it like you stole it

Test on Tuesday guys. Will update my experience

Good luck for your test tomorrow, hope the weather dries out for you a bit.

good luck friend! come to BM when you get your bit of plastic !

this reminds me i need to book my direct access soon!

All the best Muhammed

Hello Guys. I passed my test despite the terrible weather and heavy rain. Thank you so much for your help and support.

During my test we did use molison avenue which i know is 40 and then we went to that round about where you can only Exit from M25. The instructor told me to take the 2nd exit on the “RIGHT”. So I went in the right lane and started indicating and as soon as I went on A10 I hit 60MPH but due to heavy rain I kept a big distance with the cars.

The guys at North London Motor Training were really helpful and helped me pass the test.

I am sooooo happy!.

Now the hunt for that perfect motorbike!. I think 650 is too much for commuting in London, I want something fuel efficient, no more than 160Kg but powerful enough to put a smile on my face.

Anyone got an idea :slight_smile:

One point to remember, if the instructor tells you take whatever exit to “Right” then take the right lane and indicate right. If the instructor tells you to take whatever exit to your left then take left lane and indicate left and if he tells you to take an exit with out left or right then dont indicate, stay in left and indicate when you are exit the round about.

The examiner are actually trying to help students pass they are not trying to play tricks (Thank god!)

Well done Muhammed, congratulations!