Oxford Stormex Cover - Soaked Through

When new, Stormex covers seem to be very waterproof. They show signs of being heavily silicone coated so “Fabsil” spray from your local tent shop should do a decent re proof. Wet stuff wicking up the lining is inevitable, so why don’t they keep the lining short of the skirt hem?

Or for the price of a couple of cans of thatspray stuff, you could buy a bike cover from your local Lidl or Aldi store when they’re next on offer for about a tenner. 100% w.p… for the last 12 months, just dont put it on a hot exhaust.

Other problems. Again, wicking up in the lining. And you look like a cheapskate. They look just what they are. Cheap.

Oldguy

Greetings peeps, yes also agree Fabsil is the stuff, for woven fabrics kind of thing. Can mail order it from surplus and outdoors, camping supplies.

Was going to get stormex until I read this! So think I’ll resort to plan ‘A’, so found protectorl green canvas, used this type of thing before, quite successful but does need Fabsil-ing after about a year. Could put a light PVC one underneath as well of course. My particular problem is magpies keep wanting to make holes in 'em! God knows what the attraction is. Them’s were plastic covers (various), like to see far they get with canvas for a change :smiley:

You’ve answered the question, i dont think the cover is actually meant to go right down to the bottom of the wheels, i’ve got one of these covers and i have the cover about 1/2 way down the wheels to make sure it keeps the cover off the ground, the other thing to perhaps look at isusing the footrest on either side to stop the cover going too close to the ground

when i bought it from infinity, the girl said that if you let it hang on the floor it’ll get soaked all the way through…I’ve not had any issues with the waterproofing of mine, its been very good actually!

there was an essential buying thing in the last ride

covers came out as R&G superbike and oxford rainex =1st

iv got a cheapo oxford one, really thin and when it rests on the seat the seat gets wet under it, but it mostly works

i’ve got a stormex and mine only gets soaking wet when part of it is in contact with the floor when it rains, then its only the bottom bits - generally its a pukka cover, dunno why your’s is playing up, warranty?

yep, only when it drags on the floor, it sucks up water, grit etc… YUK

Yep, had one of these, mine done the same, if it is touching the floor in a heavy downpour then it gets wet on the inside, think the rainex one is better as it doesn’t do this.

Haha, are you the pigeon or the statue today hun? :smiley:

More of a pigeon at the mo :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Aww, glad to hear :D:D

Hi Mate, we deal with Oxford Products and 99% of the time there gear is bang on, however the odd thorns do come through.

I know you didnt buy it from us, but if you have trouble with infinity let me know and we’ll sort something out for you.

Dan

With most waterproorf stuff you have to treat it every now and again with this spray on stuff. If you go to a hiking shop and ask for waterproof spray for jackets, and put that on, it should fix it.

I bought a Motrax deluxe cover and it seems to be doing the job well

A quick introduction in the newbie section is customary on this site.
Sound advice though.

Oh and cool name. Welcome to LB :wink:

Hi everyone - just noticed my post had come up again.

My cover got nicked or mistaken as rubbish by the dustman last July so I bought a new one and thats been fine, same bike, same place so must have had a dodgy cover I think.

I did ask in Infinnity where I got it and they said they would swap it for me if i wasnt happy but I ended up having to spend another £60 on a new one which has been fine - does get wet at the bottom, cant really odd’s that but at least the tank and everything else stays dry now :slight_smile:

Cheers for the offer Dan, very good of you.

have same cover and same problems

got a spray from B&Q that i put on the floor around the bike every now and then, seems to keep the critters away

my cover seems to give up the ghost after more than two days of heavy rain, otherwise it seems to keep the bike dry most of the time

I’ve got the Stormex cover as well, and yes it doesn’t stand up to a monsoon. ‘Ride’ did a survey on bike covers a couple of months ago. The ‘Ride Recommended’ was the Oxford Rainex cover, thats cheaper and stood up to the tests the best.

To get round this, I’ve spayed mine with a water repelant spray - the same stuff I use on my textiles. This has worked very well for me.

I got one from Hein Gericke - its quite heavy compared to the old one I bought from there. Think it cost about £25-30. Always keeps my bike dry.

I’ve been looking at a replacement for the my bike cover. I currently have a Motrax cover with a built in groundsheet that zips all the way round to provide a completely waterproof protection. Two problems here though, one, Motrax have gone bust and two, the zip is a cheap quality plastic one that has now started coming apart. I could buy a 10metre roll of metal zip and cut to size and replace the zip, but was looking on the web for a similar replacement. I thought at first that the Oxford Stormex was the same from looking at pictures, but on reading a description I find that it doesn’t have the groundsheet. Having read the stories on here, I’m not that impressed with the Oxford Stormex, so does anyone know of a currently available cover with similar specs to the old Motrax one? I’ve Googled it until I’m going crazy and have found nothing so far.
Thanks in advance.

Is yer Stormtex dry yet mate?:slight_smile:

:w00t: PMSL :w00t: