Orange strobe lights

thinking about fitting some to my bike for use when filtering (they would attract nice attention)

are they legal though?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-X-3-LED-Car-Truck-Flash-Emergency-Strobe-Light-Amber-12V-/170710199549?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3726089342253794943

If they didn’t flash they might be, if they flash they’d be called indicators or hazard lights, and randomly using them is surely a bad idea at best (if not illegal)

thanks, they look like they are similar to what roadworks use, so flash 3 times, pause, flash 3 times…

wont this stop them looking like inidcators?

Illegal, as I keep telling Art Junior ‘if you’d only read the Highway Code’ …
Highway Code Lighting Requirements (113-116)116

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.

[Law RVLR reg 27]

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations LINKY HERE

I guess it’d look like someone occasionally indicating :smiley:

Will see if anyone with expertise comes along…

Edit: ooh, there he is!

I’m by no means an expert Alex …

Just been pulled over too often :w00t:

They are illegal under the road vehicle lighting regs!

Restrictions on the use of lamps other than those to which regulation 24 refers
27. No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3.

[Column 3]
(i) to warn persons using the road of a temporary obstruction when the vehicle is at rest; or
(ii) on a motorway or unrestricted dual-carriageway, to warn following drivers of a need to slow down due to a temporary obstruction ahead; or
(iii) in the case of a bus, to summon assistance for the driver or any person acting as a conductor or inspector on the vehicle.

meh, thank though people.

so does that mean its illegal for tow trucks to have them on when towing?

Technically, yes it is.

However it is also illegal for vehicles to show any coloured light other than white or amber to the front of a vehicle, but look how many trucks now have blue lights showing and come Christmas many will have some of these silly dashboard tyoe xmas trees showing multiple colours and they get ignored.

My green ones are technically illegal then, but have never been stopped for them and they make the bike so much more noticeable from a distance/in mirrors that I’m willing to keep them:

so do you think i should go for them anyway

what would the penalty be if i do get pulled?

I’d not go for orange, and certainly not red or blue. Whatever colour you go for, don’t get a flashing light.

Different coloured/brighter LED side lights help with visibility, you could also try led strips on your screen or something or just wearing a hi-viz. Of course HID lights trump all.

All of which will be a fail on a MOT test - including the HIDs

My HID’s didn’t fail the MOT, and it’s quite easy to change a bulb for one day a year to get an MOT…

My HID’s didn’t fail the MOT either, the guy testing thought they weren’t working as he couldn’t see them being projected onto a sun drenched white wall, got off the bike and blinded himself looking straight into them haha - the manager came over to tell me the story laughing his tits off :smiley:

thanks, how do you fit an HID conversion?

(my headlight is pretty shoddy, so want a brighter one anyway)

Though should never forget that people are blind nonetheless, even with HID I have, albeit a lot rarer since fitting them, pulling out on me.