Newbie girl - from 125CBR through crash and 5 surgeries - just done full license :)

Welcome. No idea about any of those bikes - 55 miles each way really demands a fairing.

Oh dear

I’m 5’9’’ and I ride a 990, you get used to the tippie toe thing pretty quickly. You should see Nivags 690, you have to hop of the seat to get a foot down on that.

what’s your budget for a bike? the dukes do hold their value don’t they.

Welcome - Well done for passing DAS & getting back on a bike!!! Takes guts!

Yes, MT - 03 is breathless above 60 and wants to rip your head off at any point above 80 by when you are long missing the upshift into the 6th gear (it’s only got 5). If you buck your head between the mirrors and go downhill - it will make to 110-115 till the engine cut out point (at 7500 rpm). Obviously only tried outside the UK.

But if you still like the looks of it tho maybe put MT-09 on your list.

Hi and welcome!

Sorry to hear about your surgeries, know the feeling had few recently. Good luck with bike hunting.

R

I did a Yamaha off road day at Golding Barn Raceway, West Sussex - looks pricey but it includes bike, gear and training for the day. I thought it was worth it to see if it’s something that might interest you. Before that I’d only ridden a few days in Colombia on little dirt bikes.

http://www.yamaha-schools.co.uk/?page=southeast

And don’t forget a superb cheap all-rounder, ideal for the less
experienced and still bags of fun for more experienced. And
also ideal for the shorter rider…

SV650

You should still be able to pick up a reasonable low mileage
naked one. They stopped selling the naked SV a couple of
years ago, it has been replaced by the Galdius which doesn’t
look so good on paper having put on excess weight when
compared to the naked SV.

PMSL :laugh:
Barking up the wrong tree there

There are a few girls about on here, you won’t be alone but simon in Essex is not one of them :hehe:

The way to do it on the KTM’s is be packin nuff ballast that once on you squash the fecker down :smiley:

welcome how ya doing :wink:

Hello and welcome. Well done on passing your test and good luck with bike shopping. Actually quite a few of us girls on here as well :slight_smile:

Huston, we have a problem…Went to Infinity bikes in Clapham today and the worse has happened. I was totally set on the ER6 as the sensible version, asked the guy to try it and bummer - it was SO heavy I didn’t actually manage to even lift it up from the side stand!! I tried the XJ6 and it was a bit better. Both seem kinda long though but maybe it’s just an impression because of the fairing…

Then even worse happened, the cheeky guy told me to sit on the new MT09 and I admit, i fell for it. The weight distribution and the handlebar position and steering - superb. At £6.7K it remains a dream though! Damn it… :wink:

Possibly trying the ER6 on the road tomorrow so we shall see!

Oh, to sweeten my disappointment and add more height for future tests, treated myself with new, more lady like boots :wink:

Hiya and welcome!!

give the er6f a go … it is actually a great first bike, does well in town and I find mine fine for longer journeys!

I’m about 5’5 and find the it a good size but at the end of the day go with what you feel comfortable with…

Welcome :smiley:

LOL - I just saw this - the cute blonde in my pic is my wife! I love a gossip though!

I know, I had a blonde moment there :wink:

So everyone, this is a newbie question so please don’t laugh - people recommended I test bikes. My question is, does that by definition mean they have to be brand new so the salon has them insured? I’m guessing if a dealership has second hand bike I want that’s not doable?
Here’s the er6 I rode yesterday, what a drama by the way - took wrong turn off blackwall tunnel and lost my group! An hour, bucket of sweat, many swear words and left turns only found them again. Christ, that’s a new biker initiation right there hehe!

If the bike is at a dealer then you can test ride it on their insurance, shouldn’t be a problem. If its a private sale then you will need to insure it yourself before you ride it.

To add to KTM D. Both new and used - if its registered to the dealership you can test them.

Welcome, only just saw this topic!