Newbie but kind of not

Hello all! I’m returning from a few years ago - joined with a Suzuki 125 Marauder, realised it was far too heavy and ponderous for a shortie like me, so I learned to drive a car instead.

Now looking to avoid extortionate transport fees into London on a scooter, and looking for some tips.

I have a couple of immediate questions, if anyone knows - I took my CBT in Feb 2009, and passed my driving test in Jan 2011. According to this page (I think) this means my CBT license never expires - is this true?

Also, does anyone commute up from Croydon to London Bridge? Is it a horrid drive? Should I suck it up and get on the train again? :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome to LB :slight_smile:

From Sutton to London Bridge is HORRIBLE, you’re still more then you’re riding… and don’t forget about all those lovely buses and Addison Lee drivers :stuck_out_tongue:

Erk… I was thinking of something small, like a C90 cub or a crotch-rocket scooter, to weave in and out a bit… Bu I’ll still have to drive through Streatham High St :stuck_out_tongue:

i find stretham high street not to be that bad i find it slightly fun id riden down it with a cup of tea in my hand befor XD

The page you quoted seems to be from 2007. Check for updated rules on;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/index.htm

Welcome to LB…

I think you will find you now have to do a CBT every 2 years, unless you passed driving test before 2001???

No, I passed in 2011. Hm, the Gov. website isn’t much clearer: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_10016249 - doesn’t say anything about repeating it. Maybe I’ll call them up?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430

If you have a car driving licenceIf you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001, you must complete a CBT course to confirm your full moped rights.

If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you don’t need to complete a CBT course to ride a moped. However, the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) recommends that you do.

If you want to ride a motorcycle you must apply for a provisional motorcycle licence and then complete a CBT course.

How long your certificate lastsYour CBT certificate allows you to ride on the road displaying L plates (or L or D plates in Wales) for two years.

If you haven’t passed a full motorcycle theory and practical test by the end of the two years, you must take another CBT course. This is so you can continue riding on the road as a learner.

If your CBT certificate runs out before you pass module two of the motorcycle test, you need to take another CBT course. However, you don’t need to take your theory and module one test again if you have already passed them, unless they have run out.

Riding a moped if you have a car driving licenceIf you already have a CBT certificate when you pass your car test, your full moped rights will be confirmed straight away.

A CBT certificate confirming full moped rights on a full car licence lasts for the life of the licence. So, it’s important that you keep your CBT certificate in a safe place.

Riding a moped if you have a car driving licenceIf you already have a CBT certificate when you pass your car test, your full moped rights will be confirmed straight away.

A CBT certificate confirming full moped rights on a full car licence lasts for the life of the licence. So, it’s important that you keep your CBT certificate in a safe place.

so… does this mean that I don’t have to take the CBT again for as long as my car license lasts? Or just that I have to use the same bit of paper when I get my CBT again? :confused:

Called them - I do need to take it again. Byebye, £100! :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome to LB

CBT last 2 years then have to be renewed if need to check ring ya local riding school

Well I travel from West Norwood to the City every day on the Bonneville. It takes about 35 mins. Most days I have a “Woo HOO!” moment somewhere along the way, which never happens on the train!

haha - glad to hear it! Do you go up through Streatham?

welcome :slight_smile:

Hell no! I loathe that road. I go up through Tulse Hill, Herne Hill and the Walworth Road.