New on here

I was just looking for that thread but the pics have disappeared unfortunately

ahem excuse me! it was a whole oil drum

4 Likes

I am dying here :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
This thread just made my day!!!
@Tromboman @Serrisan @me_groovy you guys are brilliant :rofl:

The oil drum and the fur does give the bike a very rustic look :laughing:

Take pics & share them so we can all feel jealous of your adventure!

Will definitely do :smiley: thank you Curtis

1 Like

Iā€™m watching this with interest. Some friends have a campsite booked near New Quay and Iā€™m thinking of taking the bike to join them.

1 Like

Which do you recommend?

I like OSMand if following gpx tracks https://osmand.net

Iā€™ve been using Calimoto for giving me random routes to follow to a destination of my choice https://calimoto.com/en

And Google Maps/Waze when I just need to get some where with the least amount of hassle.

4 Likes

Welcome @Carmen! Very glad you joined so all this brill advice could be shared. Also the oil drum on @me_groovyā€™s bike :joy: :joy:.

I +1 @Jayā€™s advice of getting an intercom kit for your helmet. I have the Cardo Packtalk Bold, itā€™s fantastic. I was apprehensive at driving with music at first because I didnā€™t want to be distracted, but itā€™s great. Plus when you end up going on ride outs or having a pillion, itā€™s such a big difference.

@nivag this looks great :pray:. Iā€™ve also made the mistake of travelling down boring A roads. Saps the joy right out of it. Needed this.

Back to the ear plugs: how do you all usually manage having an intercom plus protecting your hearing?

Iā€™ve been thinking about getting some Ultimate Ears (or perhaps Shure) moulded earphones to help isolate yet give intercom audio.

Pretty much all of the latest helmet intercoms have a 3.5mm socket where you can connect any headphones you like. Ultimate Ear are good and so are Shure and Etymotic. So long as you get a good cavity seal to isolate the noise.

1 Like

I have a Starcom1 fitted to the bike and the headset fitted to the helmet which is also tied into the Garmin Zum 660, I wear 3M ear plugs with 39dBa reduction and never had a problem.

1 Like

By the time you buy and setup all the kit you may have neither money not time to ride. Sometimes itā€™s just easier to jump on bike and go. Donā€™t overthink it. Do some planning and you can then finesse routes day by day with a nice drink in the evening

4 Likes

I felt thisā€¦ haha. Great advice :beers:

I agree with this, especially in the UK. Touring abroad is slightly different, but to an extent you can kind of get away with it here.
That being said even when I head over the channel, my last minute check is for keys, wallet, phone and passport anything else you can either do without or buy.

2 Likes

Thank you @kylejs. Happy to be of service and bring all this great advice forward :grin:

1 Like

Downloaded it and have been messing with it all evening. Looks promising, thanks.

1 Like