New Garmin Zumo XT

There’s a new antenna accessory that you can use to communicate with other riders and see where they are over VHF. Probably useful if you go adventure riding but maybe not for a Sunday blast.

You’d need lots of Garmin mates too.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/pn/010-12998-01

1 Like

That’s an interesting development.

That has to be the most pointlessly complicated system I’ve seen for a while. Why? We have a global communications network already.

1 Like

I think it’s for when you are off grid so you can see where other members of the party are and communicate with them.

Anyone that tech savvy would have their phones paired to the XT. Surely using Google Maps Location Sharing info into the XT would be a lot easier.

Not when you’ve no phone signal.

Pretty niche scenario.

1 Like

Certainly niche but parts of the UK have no coverage even in the South East

And large parts of the US and Canada. Plus it might be fun to be able to track everyone on the device rather than having to use your phone. Could black list those who left their corners.

1 Like

I’m waiting to have in visor navigation as standard and then the ride leader can add a virtual corner man for those following and once the tailgunner has passed it’s removed.

1 Like

I was stuck in a valley in Wales last year. We were told the nearest signal was 6 miles in either direction.
In the absence of being able to call the AA, we spent 4 hours stripping down a KTM that had been dropped in a river.

As an example.

Isn’t that to be expected and prepared for on a rufty tufty weekender?

I’m not sure I see how this would help out in your scenario? Was it that you got cut off from your group?

It wouldn’t allow you to contact the AA - one person would still have to ride to point of signal. And when they get there they probably can’t give an accurate reading of where you are as maximum range is 8miles - but we know that these figures can be grossly overinflated and assume perfect clear range.

Surely also, if someone had to ride to phone the AA they could get the AA to come to where he is, then lead the AA van to the rest of the group?

oh it wouldn’t have helped, just making the point that there isn’t mobile signal everywhere.

As to NT, it wasn’t a rufty tufty weekender! I took an Avi and we stopped near a river.

Near it or in it?

The rest of us stopped near it, he couldn’t stop himself.

3 Likes

Brilliant… That’s just pure class.

Been there, done something similar but not in water

Oh, my god. LOL. Some people :slight_smile:

Come on, you need to do it at least once. You haven’t really owned a KTM until you’ve done it

I had my SM in very deep water once up to the seat but didn’t fall over (on a solo greenlaneing day - stupid mistake)… luckily some quad bikers came past and helped me get it out. It also started relatively easily. Not sure why, but my theory is it was the older, agricultural type KTMs that were built that way.