"New" Bike Suggestions?

FZ6
Or GSR 600

So technically whatever you do with your insurance it is invalid .ins company may pay out but will chase you for payment in event of claim.also possible 6 points and xxx fine .

Riding otherwise in accordance to licence .again points on licence and depending on time scale over points = no licence …

On your IAM do you not sign a disclaimer stating your vehicle is legal and you are too ?

So is it worth the saving ? 

The FZ6 has over 94bhp as standard so can’t be restricted for a A2 licence.

So technically whatever you do with your insurance it is invalid .ins company may pay out but will chase you for payment in event of claim.also possible 6 points and xxx fine .
Riding otherwise in accordance to licence .again points on licence and depending on time scale over points = no licence ...
On your IAM do you not sign a disclaimer stating your vehicle is legal and you are too ?
So is it worth the saving ? 
TimR
I'm going to go off topic here and indulge you:

I’m not looking to cheat the insurance company. The fact the theft is now recorded, all future premiums in my area will be priced to reflect it - hence why I questioned whether I need to separately inform them of the theft if I am not claiming through them. That’s a justifiable point, but having sought clarification I will be telling them on Monday of the theft, because I’m not looking to cheat them. 

On the topic of restriction: I rarely go more than the speed limit by even 10mph, I use the machine’s available power to overtake more safely. Having ridden, and written off, a restricted bike I deemed it safer to not have one restricted and given that any rider’s priority on a bike is their own safety I think that’s justifiable. I have no problems sleeping at night and I don’t feel in any way that I’m defrauding or endangering anyone - I’m more interested in that rather than some rules the EU brought in a few years ago to generate cash. to wit, the licence no longer auto-upgrades. If for whatever reason I have a fit of lunacy and decide to ride more than 110mph (the speed a restricted bike is on average capable of doing) and cause an accident, I will unreservedly take any punishment due my way as a result. In all other circumstances, it is highly unlikely that in the event of an accident, the machine’s unrestricted power played the smallest part. 

Back on topic:

Thanks everyone for your help, I’ve seen some TDMs that take my fancy. I’ll have a look at them in the next week or the week after and I’ll keep you posted on my decisions 

NC700X DCT.  Economical, reliable, cheap to run/insure.  Service intervals are 8k.  Locknut Valves, so easily doable for home maintenance.  I have one, might think about selling it as I am used to 100+hp and miss some power, but it is a perfect commuting bike and so I’ve been reluctant to think about shifting it. And it is easy to restrict being just over the A2 limit I think.

It’s not a twin, but I’d look at the CBR650F or NC700 in some variant. Personally I wouldn’t want to commute on anything without fairings/screen.

On the insurance stuff, I wouldn’t claim because it will cost you more in the long run, but you will have to inform insurance companies that you had a loss with no claim. Having been in the same situation myself, I know that a lot of insurers don’t even increase their price where a claim wasn’t made. The main one I know that significantly increase their quote is MCE. If you have any sort of loss (claimed for or otherwise) they take away their massive savings. Only about half of them even ask what type of loss it was that you didn’t claim for.

Versys 650   - have one of these as my rat bike … will do everything and a poor mans KTM   … (had the ktm 950 sm but downsized when the ktm started to get expensive)  …  I did the IAM in 2008 … and would happily rag my versys on the IAM runs if I still rode with them (spend more time off road on other bikes tbh)

What model year do you have? 

I’ve seen a '08 TDM w/ abs at £3500, and an '11 plate versys 650 at £3200 both about the same to insure

Fuelly suggests the TDM returns better fuel economy for the model year (57 vs 52) but smaller sample size. TDM has longer service intervals which is important for me and a bit more power. I think power:weight on this one more like SV which I always felt was about right for road riding

The Versys is newer and cheaper, and comes with luggage. This one isn’t so clean and has been dropped but damage looks minor (like a stationary drop) and there are engine bars on both bikes. 

Looks like I can get 2 days between fill ups on the TDM but only daily on the versys. Not so much of an issue as the SV was daily too, but it would be nice to lengthen that out. 

I think both are going to feel like “new bikes” to my k3 sv, and I’m sure both are very practical - but if it were your money, where would you put it?

I’d usually go for the newer bike as a general rule but from your description above the TDM seems to suit your needs better with more power, better range and hasn’t been dropped. However in my opinion the TDM is fuck ugly.

Yeah I agree with that

I initially dismissed it based on looks, but I’m now kind of hoping that makes it less nickable! This one is now of course getting locked up everywhere it goes 

TDM is a lot better bike

Offer accepted on a different TDM. 22k miles, euro 3 and £3500 delivered. I think that’s good

However

DVLA thinks bike is red, bike is black. No signs of crash at all on this one. Is this a case of someone just wanted a respray? 

The only time I can see it being an issue for me is paid park bays. The robot takes the colour from the reg, will it be a problem if the bike is a different colour?

Needs to match V5. If not, don’t bother until it does. Seller should know legal requirements.

Have you checked the vin number with Yamaha
Why would someone want to spray a TDM

Suspicious that the owner changed the colour but didn’t tell the DVLA about it, it’s not like it’s hard to do. 

As wise says, check the VIN.

Needs to match V5. If not, don't bother until it does. Seller should know legal requirements. silveR6
They've promised to alter V5 for me. I've got correspondence about this in writing 

Seems strange. It’s only got two owners and they did all the servicing for the second owner. They say, they don’t know the reason for the disparity but surely the first owner wouldn’t have resprayed the colour they bought so it must have been done under the latest owner: if so why doesn’t the dealer know? 

I’m going to sleep on this one, but it did pass HPI. I’ve not entered VIN to HPI and will do once I get receipt. 

It’s a dealer seller and paying by card so I’ll have protection. What I don’t understand is this seller has maybe 100 bikes for sale at any one time, most of which are nearly new in the £8-10k bracket so they’re not new to this. I don’t see why I had to be the one to point it out. 

Who is the dealer?  If they have that many bike in stock, I’d take a look at them for my next toy.

Laguna Motorcycles in Ruislip. I never actually visited but I have to say they were pleasant to deal with and I think they gave me a good price and service so I’d recommend them

Also, I’m extremely happy with the TDM! It’s shockingly manoeuvrable at slow speeds and doesn’t feel very heavy at all. I think the ABS is a little over zealous though