My dilemma / bike itch

The sv650 is a great bike, ridiculously reliable and easy to service. The do rust, get crashed and get stolen. I think a naked one is perfect for your situation currently if you did decide to get a bike. There are some downsides to it, I think you’d get frustrated with the standard brakes. Don’t get me wrong they stop the bike, but they aren’t necessarily as good as you’d want from that size bike. Same story on the suspension front really. Consumables are very cheap.

However, I’m going to come down on the other side of the fence and suggest you wait to get another bike. If you put a new (to you) motorbike off for the time being, it’ll focus you on moving out of town to a house, and it’ll be one less thing tying you to a job you don’t like. My bike costs me about £500 a month to run all in - this is a 2010 bike where I’ve assumed depreciation is negligable. This £500 is quite hard to forecast too, and it probably carries at least a 10% uncertainty to it because insurance and servicing are large variables known only to an extent.

Since lockdown started in March I have ridden my bike precisely 0 times. At the start, I don’t think I’d gone more than 4 days without riding a bike in the last 4 years or so. I was pretty grumpy, and my stress outlet was gone. Now, I’m more cautious about reinsuring my bike than I am desperate to ride it, as like many drivers in the last few months my skills will have gone rusty.

I also have a friend who sold his motorbike a few years back after his sister’s boyfriend passed away in a bike accident. He’s replaced the motorbike with a push bike. If he’s short on time he can take that out for an hour and that’s enough for him. Sometimes he’ll just take off on it and he rode to the Isle of Wight this weekend for example. He seems pretty happy about the situation and it gets him by until he can escape London and have somewhere safe to store and enjoy his motorbike.

I think, based on what I know now, that if I were in your situation I’d be taking up cycling instead

1 Like

Thanks slow-ride, always good to have all perspectives.

I’m lucky enough to already live outside of town so crime is not a real concern… people here still leave front doors open most of the day! It also means luckily insurance is cheap, especially when combined with low mileage (sub 3K miles). For my previous bike (57 990 advenutre) my quote was £110 for the year… That may go up a bit if I lose my NCD but oh well, the cost of not buying insurance for a year probably pays for 4-5 years of NCD at that level

I’m looking at SVs and may end up going to test ride one just to see how I like it. I may test ride the X version as well as for some reason they come up a bit cheaper. I used to have the GSR 600 so I think I still have my neck muscles from years ago riding without fairing :smiley:

But, I’m in no rush… It’s been helpful to get views and just hear my own thoughts as I type these posts…

I tried Cycling a while back and beyond a couple of rides never got into it. Because I wouldn’t be able to use it for commuting it will be even less used than a motorbike.

I’m just hoping at some point squash courts will re-open and we’ll be allowed to play… I need my exercise!

1 Like

let us know when you pick it up. we’ll get as much of the old crew out as we can for a christening rideout.

1 Like

That’s just a recipe for me ending up in some lady’s bushes again…

1 Like

lucky lucky boy!

1 Like

Nudge nudge, wink wink.