My dilemma / bike itch

i think the reactions here are expected from a bike forum! :smiley:
at the end of the day you need to consider your financial situation and if having the bike out on the road is an acceptable risk.

1 Like

Sartre said something to the effect that when choosing who to ask for advice, you pick those who will give you the answer you want.

So if you have the money, and will not ride often, then get something second hand which will not lose much of its value. If your work situation means you can no longer afford it you can get most of your money back. If not, you always have the option of riding. Doing nothing will not make you much better off if the worst happens, but you will not have the option of riding. And if things are stressful with insecurity at work and having a young child, the chance to just go out for an hour or two occasionally will probably be good for you.

Although Satre never went into that much detail on the matter, so I am paraphrasing a tad.

2 Likes

You say you have the money so that’s good.
For occasional use the main thing I would consider is what servicing/ maintenance is required so the bike can be used when you want it. Nothing worse than a bike sitting there not ready to go when you need it.
If maintenance takes longer than time spent riding I would say no.
If riding time will be more than maintenance I say yes.

hence Honda rather than KTM :smiley:

I’d say just go out and buy a cheap run about. You won’t stress about it living outdoors and if you only have a few hours to enjoy it a week, it hasn’t broken the bank.

You’ll enjoy getting out on two wheels.

My main bike had to be a shaft drive simply because of the miles I do. Couldn’t do with the maintenance of a chain! Track day toys don’t matter as much. You don’t end up putting big miles on 'em.

Haha at the mumsnet comment. Properly made me laugh.

Yes but Honda don’t make toasters :scream:

But they make robots!

2 Likes

Now we’re talking…

Lots of good advice here but I can only tell you my side of a similar experience…

I’d never bought a brand new bike before so when I found myself with the money to do so a few years back I started eyeing up a husky 701. They are engineering works of art in my eyes and I love motards so it had to be done. Only thing was I had a one year old daughter but it didn’t deter me at the time, I love bikes, I could afford it… fuck it…

2 years later and I’ve put about 2500 miles on it FFS. I simply found in the little spare time I have I’d rather spend it with the most important person in my life, not to mention supporting the second most important person in my life. Riding had got to a place where I only really had fun if I was taking the piss everywhere and that seemed a bit silly considering my responsibilities.

Instead I’ve got bang into cycling. Never thought that would happen but it does more for me than motorcycles currently can, it’s a lot better for me and it takes up much much less time, so everyone’s happy.

Suppose what I’m saying is you’ve got to do what’s right for you. And when you have a young child that means not what’s right for you at all, it’s what’s right for your family.

Good luck but if you want a pristine 701 and are willing to pay what it’s worth give me a shout :joy:

2 Likes

Indeed some good advice. I think time for a few old fashioneds and some pondering over weekend.

Of all the options I’ve veering towards trying to find an older but more reliable bike. Need to think how much I want to out into this. I know I don’t want to tie up too much cash in a machine and then worry if I scratch it.

Conversely my wife is much more in favour of a newish bike (max 2yrs old) so that I won’t have to plough money to fix it up (isn’t she lovely?!) My last bike scarred her.

Now you tell us. Your wife has already agreed and this is not just a passing thought.
Buy the bike quick

1 Like

Hahaha she’s good like that, most definitely a keeper :sunglasses:

When comparing the costs of a newer vs older motorcycle don’t confuse reliability with the cost of motorcycling, periodic maintenance costs are more or less the same. Tyres and brakes wear out, fluids need replacing, service items need tending to. An older motorcycle doesn’t need to be a money pit in fact it can be a more economic prospect because they are less complicated, easier to maintain and have less to go wrong.

In my experience of owning many new, used and older motorcycles and cars there has been very little difference in the running costs. The biggest downside of buying new or even nearly new is the rapid depreciation costs and if you’re buying from a dealer the depreciation kicks in with a massive drop in value the moment you wheel it off the forecourt. I’m no longer a material guy and any future cars or motorcycles I buy will be 5+ years old with average or less mileage on, letting someone else take the big depreciation hits.

I think there’s something to be said for buying a year old, a basically new bike with low mileage.

Easy to find as some buyers quickly discover their new bike isnt right for them for whatever reason.

You can test ride one at a dealer to be sure it works for you. Then go,look for a in a private sale.

Takes a while but I saved £2k off list for a Duke with 311 miles on it. Also got a good deal on my Kwaka off Kevsta with 3500 miles.

Now, anyone got a Speed Triple RS with 500 miles on it,let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

As others have said, only you really know your finances and work situation fully.

But if you are looking at getting a bike, then forgot KTM, or Husky, or BMW, all are brands that cost a little bit more to run and maintain. You’re going to be looking at Japanese, and if you mainly do road I’d look for a second gen CBF600, generally cheap to buy, and run, and that Honda 600 unit is bullet proof. If you looking for dual purpose then I’d have a look at the Yamaha XT660 range, or at a push a V-Strom 650. At a push for dual purpose I’d have a look at the Transalp but I think that would be a mistake.

Set a price for what you’d pay and use that a filter on eBay and Autotrader and see what comes up. Both sites have comprehensive filter system so you and add in mileage and age as well.

2 Likes

The xt660 is a good shout

KTM Hemel have some 2019 models with discounts.
https://www.thektmcentre.co.uk/bikes/new-2019-bikes/2019-supermoto/2019-ktm-690-smcr

1 Like

I prefer the old version :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My latest eBay foray has been down the sv650 range. From what I know reliable bikes and can be lots of fun. Never ridden one though.