Motorbike Fundraising Ride round the UK - People in Crisis

NOW FROM JUNE 17th - JULY 6th!!
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=HelenApple

Mods - purely in honour of the fact I’ve been on here 8 years - can you post this as a sticky :smiley: Thanks Hels XX

This ride is to highlight the work of two charities supporting people in crisis in the UK

The Charities - The British Red Cross works across the British Isles. Its volunteers support people in emergencies, plus provide services to vulnerable older people, people with disabilities and those in crisis. The Beachy Head Chaplaincy team are volunteers conducting 24 hour search and rescue operations with the police and emergency services to end suicide on the cliffs.

The Ride - the ride will start from the Red Cross Offices on Wed 17th June at 10.30am. I’ll be visiting Red Cross UK offices in England, Scotland and Wales, taking in Land’s End and John O’ Groats on route. The ride will stop at Beachy Head on Monday 6th July to remember those in crisis who lost their lives and then proceed to the Red Cross offices for the official end.

Biking - I am riding an F650GS BMW, called Apple, named after Applecross Pass in Scotland. Biking is very important to me and I have often experienced the warmth of the Biking Community at different points over the years. One of the deepest expressions of solidarity I have experienced was when a over a hundred London Bikers rode miles through February sleet to support the family of a must loved member of our community and give him the send off he deserved.

Many riders have completed far greater challenges than simply riding round the British Isles, but for me this ride is a celebration of bikers and biking, of organisations supporting people in critical situations and the beauty of a journey :slight_smile:

Even if you are not able to donate - if you come to the send off on 5th May, we can have a group ride for the first part of the journey together :-

THANK YOU TDJ, Emsee and others who have donated - it’s truly amazing - the page only went up an hour ago.:slight_smile:

I am away for a couple of months with work in Feb and March, but hope to get some more practical tips from you folks in terms of cheap places to stay / camp later on.

Will most definitely join you for the start. Well done you for doing this. :cool:

well done Hels, here’s hoping you raise a shed load of cash for a very worth cause. Hopefully be with you at the start to send you off on your adventure. Are you planning on updating us as you go? Perhaps we can join you again for other parts of the ride?

Thanks to everyone who has sponsored me - it is really VERY kind and much appreciated!!!

Yes - welcome to come at the start and for parts of it on route. The Edinburgh to John O Groats leg might be a nice ride and good to have some company on, or the John O Groats route round to Inverness. There is also a nice little Cornwall leg, a Wales bit - but will post up the plan and take your pick.

bump

Well £425 pounds has been raised from you very generous folks in just 3 days!! Well done :slight_smile: Looking forward to seeing some of you on route or at the send off on 6th May :slight_smile:

Well we have raised £605 so far - thanks so much for all your efforts !!

Wouldn’t it be great if we could break the £1000 mark by the end of the month. Every little helps. :slight_smile:

Total now stands at over £2000 :cool: Hels is away with work at the moment but I’m sure she’s really grateful for all the donations.

Edited as dates of ride changed to June 17th - July 6th - first stop Norfolk on June 17th!!

THIS HAS BEEN POSTONED. I am in Nepal dealing with the earthquake, was there when it struck. I am returing home mid May. Helen

Sorry to hear it has been postponed but fully understand why. Great to know you are out there helping!

I’ve donated for the Nepal relief. I hope others do too.

+1

RIDE NOW TAKING PLACE FROM JUNE 17th (first stop on the route is Norfolk) until JULY 6th. It will start off from the Red Cross Offices on June 17th and head up to the beautiful East Coast. If Norwich win in the playoffs I’ll be doing a celebratory spin round Carrow Road as well (Nick Braley would definitely be keen on that).

Nb Thanks also to all those who donated for the Nepal Relief, it is a devastating and life changing situation for so many people.

RIDE NOW TAKING PLACE FROM JUNE 17th (first stop on the route is Norfolk) until JULY 6th. It will start off from the Red Cross Offices on June 17th and head up to the beautiful East Coast. If Norwich win in the playoffs I’ll be doing a celebratory spin round Carrow Road as well (Nick Braley would definitely be keen on that).

Nb Thanks also to all those who donated for the Nepal Relief, it is a devastating and life changing situation for so many people.

Ride is also taking in the most easterly, westerly, northerly and southerly points of England, Scotland and Wales. Have planned the route and it is around 4,000 miles in all, spread over 19 / 20 days. Some days are long - eg Bristol to Cardiff to Brecon Beacons riding up through wales and then ending up in Matlock (rather a long day) and other days will be shorter (ie lowestoft the Ness then overnighting in Norwich). Not sure how this will stand up to reality - but we shall see.

Well this was very successfully completed on 7 th July ! Had an amazing time - particularly across northern Scotland and raised 4.5k!! Then I found out I was being made redundant owing to my job completely changing - so - I carried on biking. I am now in Switzerland and heading to Italy on Friday! Bike holding up despite the non mechanical owner. Having a great time - any tips welcome.

Whoah that’s quite a rollercoaster Hels! Congratulations on the money raised but bummer about the job! Still, it means you get to look for something new and perhaps better! Have fun out there :slight_smile: