Me_groovy's pro tip of the day 23-03-19

No. You’re not that stupid.

Doing the valve clearance check on the Tuono today with the help of big_red_s. Looked in the workshop manual for the tolerances, can’t find them. Am I blind? Am I missing a trick? Is the manual missing a section?

No. Turns out Because Aprilia used the same exact engine in the Tuono, Mille and Falco, they made a separate engine manual. I didn’t have that.

As it was, the rear cylinder is within spec.

Getting to the rocker cover bolts on the front however, that’s a different problem.

1 Like

Good job! I take it you haven’t got to the front yet then?

0 Likes

Radiator off and change the coolant while you’re in there. You know it makes sense and mores the chance to cock something up :rofl:

0 Likes

Tried to take the rad off today. 2 rusted bolts and 1 chewed head that needed drilling out, I’m getting closer! There’s 1 bolt for the front I can’t get at and I can feel the paint flaking off around it so I don’t hold out much hope that it’s going to come out easy.

0 Likes

A goodly soak with GT85 or similar penetrating fluid/maintenance spray then ease them free with a small mole grip, make sure you get a good grip first time as there is not too often a second bite on that cherry. Alternatively centre punch or small cold chisel and ball pein to lightly tap the little blighter free.

0 Likes

what is the extra geared cog for & the middle shaft ?

0 Likes

balancer shaft I would guess, it’s weighted.

0 Likes

What is the yellow bit?

0 Likes

Flux capacitor.

But really it seems to be a runner for the cam chain to keep it taught to the balancer gear and across the cams.

0 Likes

“Flux capacitor” Really? That sucker’s nuclear?

0 Likes