MCE no longer placing business with MCE

Just had a quick search for quotes, Moneysupermarket and MCNcompare.

Identical quotes from both, only MCE and Hastings quoting. I was hoping to have two yrs NCB at renewal and get in under a grand but now have quotes at almost £2k.

Are there any insurers worth actually speaking to? I always feel that despite paying huge premiums in the event of a claim they’d all wriggle like hell to get out of it.

Could it be time for an insurance fire? :smile:

1 Like

I’m with Hastings at the moment. They have been by far the only reasonable company for my circumstances: dodgy postcode in central London. Having spent days obtaining this quote I know if they exit the market, or decide to align their premium with the others, I will probably have to give up.

Yeah and moving out of the smoke isn’t an option, jobs schools and our support network are within walking distance here, I’ll let you try convincing my other half.

2 Likes

Moving out of the greatest city in the world? Giving up on motorcycling? Never!

4 Likes

Dear Slacker

You received an email on 11th January 2022 stating your policy is being disclaimed on the 31st of January 2022.

This means your policy will end on that date.

Why?

Green Realisation 123 (who used to be called MCE Insurance Company Ltd) is no longer able to offer Bike insurance due to going into administration.

We understand this situation will leave you in a difficult position and without insurance.

MCE UK is NOT in administration and is able to offer you a new policy.

What now?

MCE UK can offer you a new policy underwritten by UK based Sabre Insurance.

Click the button below to get a quick 5-minute online quote for your new policy starting on the 1st of February 2022.

Cheeky buggers. If you understand that it leaves your customers in a difficult situation, why don’t you take responsibility, eat up the cost and transfer everyone to the new underwriter. The new policy is £100 more expensive for me, still cheaper then the alternatives, so begrudgingly will have to stay with them :unamused:

1 Like

I too got that email and they was cheaper than the comparison sites price so i have to stay with them. Now i have to wait for a cheque in the post for the remainder off my policy. Should take 6 months i’m still getting xmas cards in the post today :joy:

1 Like

A number of insurers are claiming they have got their underwriters to honour the no claims bonus for cancelled policies of nine months or more. Notably MCE seem not to be one of them, despite it being their mess.

1 Like

Apparently you can sign up for news on this page MCE Insurance Company Ltd has failed | FSCS
Anyone who was insured by the failed MCE Gobraltar Company will no longer be insured from Jan 31st. So they will need to take out another policy.
The FSCS will be making payouts - not the full amount, but up to 90% pro rata for the months that peeps may miss out due to the company going into administration - however they will get customer details from MCE - so anyone affected needs to check MCE has their correct details.

Why wouldn’t MCE already have their correct details? Are folk not notifying of a change of address for fear of increased premiums or, are they insuring from an address other than where they live to keep their insurance premium to a minimum? If I was a gambling man I’d wager neither the FSCS nor MCE will be making any reimbursements in instances where there is evidence of insurance fraud.

MCE migrated systems not so long ago and some customer details did not migrate from the old system to the new one (or so I was told).
This was discovered when I rang them to inform them of a change of address and was categorically told that I was not insured by them. Several phone calls and formal complaints later and they told me that some customer details had not transferred in the data migration, that they would have to access the old system and find my details. It would not surprise me if other customer details had not migrated.
When I logged into their customer portal I could access my insurance, but their customer service peeps could only see my insurance from the previous year.
If there are others in the same position their details may not be passed to the Fin=ancial Services Compensaiton Scheme.

2 Likes

What a shitshow… Noone thought to check that
Count.oldsystem.customers=count.newsystem.customers
?
🤦🏼

3 Likes

If you are worried that you will not get your refund, check your email as MCE are confirming people’s addresses.

Your policy with MCE will end on the 31st January 2022.

MCE, Kroll and the FSCS are working on your refund.

We wanted to check we have the correct address for you as a cheque for your refund will be sent in the post.

We have the first line of your address as: That building on that street

And your postcode as: a sequence of letters and numbers

If this is wrong the wrong address, please send details to [email protected]and we will get the address updated.

2 Likes

Insurance is far and away the worst part of motorcycling.

MCE always were and remain useless, never being contactable in a useful way.

I’ve now renewed with Hastings who were available on the phone (for a £12.50 charge) following an internet search for quotes. Seems any changes put the price up, extra security makes no difference. Every ‘difficult’ question is met with ‘sorry that’s set by the underwriter’, who can’t be contacted.

I’d hoped for 2 years NCB in a few months time and have now renewed for the same price as almost two years ago when I had no NCB.

Going to put it behind me and look forward to some rides and summer trips.

1 Like

Anyone had a refund yet?

Nope. Lots of emails, not a lot of wonga

11 Mar, 2022

The first batch (57,000) of motorbike and scooter policies are now going through the final verification stage to enable these cheques to be sent out. You don’t need to do anything as we’ll contact you if we need any other information.

My rough calculations* say that amounts to around half of the disclaimed policies, so a 50-50 chance of being in that first batch.

*The redacted disclaim schedule on the administrators website is 1,036 pages of policies,with just over a hundred policies listed on each page.

1 Like

nope, still waiting…

I just received an email from the F.S.C.S. to say my refund is on its way, so it seems they will tell you before it arrives.

In better news, we are now raising payments and batches of cheques are being sent out. We will compensate eligible customers with a refund based on their remaining policy premium.

Woohoo! Though I only had about one month remaining so only expecting about £15 from them.

2 Likes

Yes, how exciting. If its more than 15p I’ll be made up!

Received one yesterday as well. Looks like we’re in the same batch :raised_hand:

Got my email too, I’m owed about 6 months worth of policy minus their 10%. Nervous as to what their take on 6 months will be, i don’t have high hopes…