Lubricating brake caliper slider pins - what to use and where to find it?

**ok so my uncles who have over 40years experience between them are wrong for using copper slip??

my bike has been serviced by them all the time its got 30k on the clock with no sign of damage to the sliders or boots.

copper slip should be put on the backs of the pads to stop noises from the pad-piston
slider pins
caliper bolts **

copperslip has been used by mechanics on brake components for decades, and as long as you don’t get it on the pads or discs I have never heard of any problems, I have heard its use recomended by many profesionals, there may well be newer greases but that doesn’t take away from copperslip, I buy it in 1/4lb tins from a comercial pipeline supplier and have used it on my bikes and cars from the late 70’s on, and so far I havent had a problem.it is also a fantastic antiseize product for everything from fairing screws to frame bolts (just remember if you use it then torque settings need to be reduced by about a third because of the lubricating effect) it is NOT a grease for lubricating bearings and should not be used for such purpouses. used correctly it will make your life so much easier with bolts, nuts screws etc, and of course will help stop your brakes from squealing :slight_smile: if you don’t believe me, try googling “copperslip and brakes” you will find plenty of reading.

I’ve been using Copperslip/Copperease/Coppaslip, etc. for about 50 years as that was what I was taught to use as a school kid by a decent ex mechanical (marine) engineer turned tech. teacher.

Never had a problem.

Agree torque settings need to be reduced, but by a third? No way. 15 - 20% max.

(Lithium based grease may be better but the damned stuff turns to oil and gets everywhere. Count me out.)

I swear by copperslip after a few seized bolts on the bandit I had ! As an anti-seizing agent, and on the BACKS of brake pads and on caliper sliding pins.
I got mine a while ago (I think it’s made by loctite) and it’s like a Prit Stick (the glue) i.e. plastic column, lid and twistie base to push it out.

Oh yeah and Red Rubber grease for lubricating caliper piston seals. Bought a big tub of it a while back but haven’t overhauled any calipers yet (although it did prove useful when trying to get the carb vacuum guages onto the carb stubs!!)

+1

There is quite a bit of confusion and misinformation on this issue.

Copper grease does indeed have some lubricating properties but its principal use is as a long term ant-seize agent between metals that is heat and pressure resistant.

Red rubber grease is primarily a lubricant that does not harm rubber seals and is waterproof - try getting it off your hands!

Copper grease applied to the backs of brake pads will prevent squealing (caused by movement between the pad and piston) but to lubricate sliders and pistons themselves red rubber grease is better.

the key here is high temperatures…it is designed for high temperature situations and wont drip away…it is primarily an anti sieze compound but is perfect on parts that move a tiny amount and can suffer corrosion type siezing…red rubber grease is also good with high temperatures and will not damage your seals…in reality copper grease has been used on the slide pins and the backs of pads for years, its great on wheel nuts and spark plugs too, I recommend it on any bolts that remain unused for years but that are not subject to vibration (then use a loctite or similar)…I have never heard of people using red rubber grease on the calipers to stop them from seizing and I am not sure it is water proof but I can see no reason why it would not do the same on the backs of pads and sliders…but as I say never seen anything that says its waterproof.

I’ve heard the same about copper grease - it’s ‘gritty’ so shouldn’t be used near soft parts like piston seals and rubber boots.GP products super calliper grease, YAMAHA Brake Caliper Teflon Grease , or red rubber grease are better alternatives.

I’m not an engineer and haven’t run exhaustive tests to check it out :smiley: - but it’s what a lot of people in the know recommend - so you might as well err on the side of caution and use them. :satisfied: (smug, annoying satisfied face). :smiley:

could you use silicone grease on the caliper slider (not pad retaining) pins?

if you don’t want to stop then yes :stuck_out_tongue: unless it is very high temperature silicon grease,otherwise during heavy braking the heat build up will cause it to drip and it could get on your brake pads or discs. why take a chance ? generations have used copperslip its cheap, does the job and despite comments to the contrary doesnt cause discernable wear on parts that move little ,relative to each other (note I don’t say rotating parts )
oh FYI

SQUAREDEALS UK: My Stores Logo
VAT NUMBER GB 582056244.
UK TAX (VAT) Exempt purchases for Non EU Residents available from our website: email
[email protected] Or visit the website.

“RED Rubber Grease with Teflon” is a High Tech specially formulated extreme temperature grease with good dampening and adhesion properties as well as superior water resistance. Specially formulated for hydraulic braking systems to allow free movement of the seals, ease of piston assembly, and to prevent water ingress.

This Red Grease with Teflon is based on refined mineral oils, Lithium soap, anti-friction solid lubricants as well as corrosion and oxidation inhibitors.

Red grease is is almost neutral towards many plastics and elastomers.

APPLICATION: Suitable for all types of motorcycle applications, bearings, forks, calipers, chains, Etc.

High performance specially formulated red grease with Teflon® for on and off road requirements.

• Teflon® based high lubricity and low friction
  • Longer lasting than most other greases
  • Suitable for use on suspension & braking systems
    * Surface temperature from -30° to +130°C

An anti-seize compound and a lubricant perform entirely different functions although many anti-seize products have lubricating properties, especially at higher temperatures. In environmentally adverse conditions such as high humidity and salinity, extreme pressure, acidic atmospheres or excessive temperatures, metals can fuse or weld together. The chief culprit is corrosion, particularly in marine surroundings. Molyslip anti-seize products are designed to provide an insulating layer between metals so that dismantling and routine maintenance are free from breakage of fused parts. This problem is especially onerous on threads and shackles. A single application of Copaslip (often misspelled as copperslip or coppaslip) or Alumslip will stop metal fusion for many years.

Copaslip®
Copaslip® (often misspelled as copperslip or coppaslip) - the original anti-seize compound. Available in leaded or lead-free versions.
It is a very high temperature (up to 1100°C) anti-seize assembly compound, bentone based non-melt grease with copper, pure lead paste or polybutene, and anti-corrosion additives.

Saves time, money and energy

In the Automotive Trade
…prevents squealing on disc brake pads, allows for trouble-free dismantling of chassis mountings, cylinder heads, inlet and exhaust fittings etc.

your choice ,but how hot do your calipers get ?

lol well yeah i was going to use some of that and then give my disks a good rub down with wd40. that’s the best way of stopping brake squeal right? :wink:

stripped my callipers the other month and used copperslip on the back of pads, retaining pins and caliper slide pins. now i’ve read this it’s got me wondering whether i should clean up and regrease the slide pins? silicone grease i was looking at (maplins) is good for 200 degrees C. but you reckon copperslip is ok??

For the slider pins of my brakes that have floating calipers I give them a really good clean up, getting rid of any crud/corrosion and use a tiny smear of Corrosion Grease (from the makers of ACF-50). It doesn’t affect rubber and acts to neutralise any further corrosion.

Other than that I use copperslip on the backs of pads and red rubber grease to protect the dust seal.

I’ve used Copaslip on brake pins since bike disc brakes came to this country without any problems.:cool:

old skool :cool:

copperslip will do me for now, next caliper strip i’m getting the moly paste out :smiley:

Each to their own, I suppose.

Use copperslip on the brakes ignore anyone who says otherwise, Just clean them every now and again and they will be fine. I use copper grease on all my bikes never had a problem yet ( Probably just cursed myself here) :smiley:

:slight_smile:

This is perfect advise, Take it!!!

is moly paste no good? :crying:

k’in hell the OP wasn’t wrong when he said there was a lot of chat about this on the net. it’s been frying my brain for the past few days. some say do, some say don’t :crazy:

can we just clarify everyone that’s talking about slider pins are talking about slider pins and not the retaining pins that go through the pads?? copaslip’s def meant to be bad for rubber and the slide pins have rubber seals so wtf? appreciate the lube side as the movement is limited but if a job’s worth doing…

no problem with moly paste, no problem with red rubber grease, brake grease, or for that matter copaslip :slight_smile: use whichever you have IN MODERATION, the seals the slider pins are rubber, and copaslip MAY or MAY NOT (depends on which source you check with :wink: ) cause swelling of rubber, but if you take a step back for a moment, and think about what those seals actually do, they certainly don’t stop crud getting onto the sliders! otherwise we wouldn’t be talking about putting an anti-seize product on them, the only rubber seals that you should be worrying about in this case are the dust seals in the caliper body, and they should never be able to come in contact with any product other than brake cleaner or brake fluid, no matter what gets put onto the back of the pad it should not be there in such quantities that it can migrate away from the pad, so no problem?
I really can’t see the reason for the horror stories about copaslip eating babies or seals or whateva, if your bike manufacturer has a specific product he advises you to use then thats fine, use that, but if used correctly then any of the above should be OK.
cue response :P:D:D

thanks mate. appreciate your advice :slight_smile: