London commuter bike

The S is the naked version and the X is the adventure version.

They’re the same bike bar some fairings and different riding positions. The mechanics, fueling, etc is all the same and they both use 17" wheels so no problem with choice of tyres.

@Arfa I have bought this from new.

This is my second week on my new commuter bike, the Super Soco TC Max. I downgraded from a CBR600 to this commuter electric.

It’s cute, light and very nimble. Very good acceleration but poor top speed (around 50mph), but my speed rarely ever goes above 30mph to get through traffic.

having said that, at your size i wouldn’t recommend the super soco. You are literally heavier than the motorcycle and you may feel cramped riding it. A Forza 300cc maybe just right for you

2 Likes

I have a friend who recently bought a nc750x and is incredibly happy with it. He claims it isn’t as boring as they look. I personally wouldn’t want to ride it to work but they are incredibly popular. I’ve just picked up the cheapest GTR1400 on ebay for my commute, mileage not too disimillar to yours perhaps 15% further. Logic being it was cheap and reliable, insurance wasn’t bad.

There is nothing to fear from 15 year old Japanese bikes, and really you want to be looking at bikes that have already seen their lion’s share of depreciation. 3-4k should be a very sensible bracket to get you quite a bit of bike. If you can make the bike last 3 years you’ve done alright (your commuting mileage works out to around 16k miles a year… I think that’s too much for a scooter I really do but I know nothing about that I’ve never owned one). After that time, you break it, flog it, or ride it till it blows up and you’ve spent maybe £1000 a year on depreciation, £1500/year on fuel, £1200/year servicing and £500/year insurance i.e. £4-4.5k a year to commute. I don’t think that number is far off what you will experience. A large chunk of that servicing cost will be tyres and routine maintenance - it is for this reason that regardless of new bike or old I really wouldn’t expect your servicing costs to vary that much as you’re looking at a minor (oil, other fluid checks) and major (valve clearances, oil and filter, coolant) services each year. If you are unsure of what to look for in a second hand bike ask a mechanic at your local garage if they’ll look at it with you/find a mechanically minded friend to come and take a look. It could be £100 well spent to the mechanic who might tell you if it’s a dud or is at least able to give you some info to negotiate a price down.

The one thing I really really wouldn’t recommend is buying a nearly new bike for a commute if looking to save costs

Also as an aside, I’ve started to get really tired of owning two bikes. I know the insurance will still be slightly higher, but something that can do what the mt09 also does might be an idea - dare I suggest tracer 900?

1 Like

What you guys reckon on the versys 650? Saw one of the twin light ones today and looks pretty nice and a bit more bike than the nc

Versus 650 is a great bike. I’d go with the current generation.

‘There is nothing to fear from 15 year old Japanese bikes’ … ULEZ

Most of them are ULEZ compliant, despite being older than 57MY - Honda gives out certificates of compliance for free as far as I’m aware