Learnings from bike thefts - successful or attempted

She also stores a lovely well looked after, lots of mods and gadgets BMW! very quick. had it dyno’d etc. But i doubt they be able to steal it! :wink:

One thing that drives me insane is why people without a chain insist on parking where there are ground anchors/security posts. If you don’t have a chain then please park in between the posts so others with chains can use them. So annoying to see old bikes/scooters taking up these spots without a chain while next to it is a £10k bike with a chain wrapped around its rear wheel because the ground anchors are taken.

move em :wink:

Annoys me more when people leave the chains in the ground anchor even when their bike isnt there. It prevents me from locking my bike up. They could at least leave their chain on nearby lampost/railing not used by bikes.

superglue the padlock

they wont do it again, and you can loop your chain through theirs :wink:

wots it doing there? you have nt been naughty have u and got caught?

i know some people in there might have a word with them and sneak it out for you

judgejools44

Posted Today @ 07:52

**Datatag isn’t a waste of money providing you use all the stickers in covert parts of the bike and maintain the records. You may think its a waste but for someone like me who often has to confirm a vehicles true identity, Datatag numbers help to ensure I can match stolen bikes/parts to their owners. The stickers are very versatile!

If anyone wants any advice on this sort of thing, ie, where to place them etc, then please feel free to ask me. I can’t divulge the secrets of Autocrimes but I can certainly offer advice.

I did all that. You’re assuming that the 1: Met. Police can be arsed. 2: The lame brain on the counter knows what you’re talking about.

Tosser couldn’t even get the “crime number” thing sorted out. Doubt anything I presented was recorded/taken seriously.

Woolwich M.P.? A complete waste of space.

**Decided to bump this with another cheeky scrote scum story.

Shouldn’t this be a sticky as we can all learn from it AND it might make us less complacent next time…???

Anyway here is the story ( not mine but hair raising anyway )

*New to this forum, but thought I ought to relate my experience from Sunday night in the hope of saving someone else’s bike - and catching these thieving scroats.

I live in West London, between Westfield and Notting Hill. At just after midnight on Sunday I was woken by a loud single cylinder supermoto/dirtbike. Funny, I thought, there isn’t usually one of those around here. I then heard another bike start up. Sounded a bit like my DRZ400, which I’d only just bought a month or so back and not yet ridden much. Then I heard a god almighty two stroke wail and angle grinding noise. Sounded like a petrol grinder going at full tilt. Thought about it for a while, and decided it needed a look.

Looked out the window and there was a shower of sparks coming from where my bike was chained to a fence… with three locks. One an Abus city 0.7m chain through the back wheel. One a 1.0m Almax Series III attached through the frame with an Abus D-lock (the D-lock was a bit of a weak point which I was still trying to improve on), and one an Oxford cable lock through the front wheel. All kept under a cover.

I shouted at the top of my lungs from my window, two floors up, “get the fk away from my bike you thievin c*s”. Response - the one on the bicycle sitting in the middle of the road just looked up at me. The one on the black supermoto bike didn’t move, and the guy with the grinder just continued to go full tilt at my locks. I was thinking ‘what can I grab to go down and go after them with’, and there wasn’t much in the house. Girlfriend passed me the phone with the police on the line, and I hastily relayed details of what was happening.

As I was on the phone I saw the guy move from the back lock to the front cable lock. I didn’t know if they’d cut the Almax chain/D-lock through the frame at this point, but assumed they had. My bike was already started and running, ready to ride away. I was freaking, thinking I’m going to be standing here watching my bike go. Then something went wrong with the saw while they were trying to cut the cable lock. They were both looking at the saw and the lock, and seemed unsure what to do.

Within about 2 minutes the police arrived, and the two guys left, still holding the petrol cut off saw, on the black supermoto. They were chased, and we saw a helicopter go after them as well. Unfortunately they got away after the police car lost sight of them crossing the Harrow Road, and the helicopter couldn’t pick them up.

Anyone who thinks an Almax chain is enough these days is wrong. These guys had no concern over making a shed load of racket with a petrol cut off saw. Surprisingly it took them nearly 3 minutes to cut the Abus city chain off the back wheel. Largely this was because it was so tight and difficult to get to, so they ended up having to cut most of the way through the lock body; twice in fact, the first attempt not working too well.

I don’t know what happened on the Oxford cable lock, either the disc broke, or got gummed up or something. But they only got a third of the way through it. They hadn’t started on the Almax, but would only have needed to cut through the Abus D-lock. However, it was between the bike and the fence, was a tight fit, and I’m not sure they would have been able to get the saw to it.

My bike is now parked elsewhere.

The bike they rode off on was a virtually all black supermoto style. It may have been a DRZ400SM or possibly a KTM. It had a shortened, but high (motocross style mounted at the top of the forks/under the triple clamps) front mudguard. This mudguard had three distinctive green wavy stripes, sort of like green flames, but not joined. It was also bloody loud. That’s about all I could see of it. If anyone sees a similar bike please take a note of the reg and PM it to me so that I can pass it on to the police. The three bright green stripes on the shortened front mudguard seemed quite distinctive, particularly on a virtually all black supermoto.

As far as locking your bike: lock it so the chain is as inaccessible as possible. If that means rolling around on the floor and twisting your hand up behind the frame, then do it. If it is hard for you to get to your lock it is hard for them to get a saw to it. If you’re locking it to a lampost, they will have easy access to your chain from the side. With the saw these guys were using, and their complete lack of concern, they would be through even the thickest chain in minutes. The more locks the better.

I should also note that we saw a white van driving around the area shortly after, but couldn’t catch the reg on that either. I suspect if the bike was alarmed or immobilised it would have gone in the van. Probably also where the saw came from, after all it does look a bit suspicious two blokes riding around on a supermoto carrying a whopping great petrol cut-off saw.

As far as what to do, if it happens to your bike next - if you’ve got a baseball bat, and your game enough, then take a few swings for me. However, I suspect they would be quite prepared to use the saw against a person, if the need arose. So bear that in mind. Also there were at least three of them, no doubt armed with a knife or two.

What I wish I’d done: thrown a glass bottle full of petrol at the bugger with the saw. Shower of sparks and a whole splash of petrol. Might have lost my bike, but would have been worth it! … until I ended up serving 2-3 for manslaughter or GBH. A better thought: find a way of throwing some oil at them (not necessarily boiling). If you can get it on the saw it will slow them down considerably, and if you can get it on the wheels of the get away bike they should be off at the first corner. If I still had my bike parked in the same place I would have about 10-20 small balloons filled with oil to hand ready for throwing.

Hope this story helps save someone else’s bike. And if anyone does see the black supermoto with the green stripes on the mudguard, let me know… and beware your bike.*

That’s the thing, there’s three guys out there with a saw and probably other weapons, I’d sooner lose a bike than an arm…:angry:

For those that have had their bike nicked

• Where was it parked? Home, street, public car park
    **12.30pm f"ing lunch time, Inside an enclosed works car park surrounded by my works offices and next to the work canteen, security guards 5 meters away behind glass watching it on their CCTV. Not far from Southwark station

• How was it secured? Chained to something solid, alarmed, disc locked, garaged
    **Alarmed only as it was in a works car park which I thought was safe during the week. **

• How did they get away?
    **A cloned plate Big White Transit van x4+ white males **

• Anything else?
    **Yeah don’t think your bike is safe even with security watching out. They actually watched the van pull in, guys set the alarm off once, thieves waited for it to turn off, they then loaded the bike into the back of the van, alarm screaming, office worker standing having a cigarette watching the whole thing doing nothing.

Even when the van was leaving with the security guards were none the wiser!!! f**king useless!

Sorry about your loss, but are there the details of the cloned plate. It may not be traceable to the address but someone might recognise it around.

Bike theft

Had a bike nicked, parked outside with cheap chain, it was cropped easily and dissapeared. Got it back but it was a ******* state, should have wrote it off :frowning:

Since?

Had a bike for three years since no theft.

-almaxchain to lampost or steel gate, always left outside

-disc lock

-sometimes alarm disc locked (battery runs out or wind sets it off)

Bike has been damaged twice in what I suspect has been “theft fury”, seeing they can’t steal it and damaging it instead (probably kids).

Triang - crazy story, glad you didn’t lose it, good work on putting on so many locks!

Thanks for sharing all your stories, I’m finding it scary yet useful, hope others are too.

Had a PM asking me to edit the first post and ask for location the bike was taken from, quite a good idea I reckon. We might be able to build up a picture…

Not a problem, this happened in 2008 anyway… Just thought I would add to the list :wink:

The insurers are taking the hit from all these bike thefts - passing on some of these costs to we the insured in the way of increased premiums. I think it is up to the insurers to put pressure on bike manufacturers to increase security on new bikes - the best way to do this IMHO would be to imbed alarm and tracker technology into the motorcycle during manufacture i.e. in the CPU and throughout the electrics of the bike, maybe locking out all the bikes electrical components by a system similar to IMEI numbers on phones.

A cheap tracking device that you can use yourself consists of a second hand HTC Polaris (XDA Orbit2) PDA phone with PAYG chip hidden in the fairings and constantly charging from the battery (draws little current) and a program called Sprite Terminator www.spritesoftware.com/products/sprite-terminator running in the background. Once you text the XDA with an agreed code it will return the current position in Lat and Long that you can then enter into Google Maps.

ninjabob

Thanks for that. I’ve been looking for that company information for some time.

O.K. The system’s far from perfect but it’s cheap and just might spring a result.

I have heard a few tales of bike thefts recently - can anyone add to this the details of how where and why… so we can all learn from it???