Learnings from bike thefts - successful or attempted

For those of you that have had a bike nicked I’m sorry. I’m also sorry for those of you that have had an attempt

I’m lucky to have been OK so far, I’m hoping that people might be able to share their experiences so that others can benefit

For those that have had their bike nicked

• Where was it parked? Home, street, public car park
  • What was the address or location it was taken from? Maybe there is some way we can pull a list of common spots or similar together
  • How was it secured? Chained to something solid, alarmed, disc locked, garaged
  • How did they get away?
  • Anything else?

For those of you that have had an attempted theft

• Where were you parked?
  • What stopped them?
  • Anything else?

I’m hoping that by sharing what we know individually we can all do our bit to try and make it as difficult as possible

Street
Chain & alarm
Lifted into the side of a van, took 20 seconds. I deliberately parked close to another bike to stop anyone getting down the right side of the bike but they moved the other bike as the next space was empty. CCTV was useless, though it did show that they had scoped it out 2 minutes earlier and the direction they turned after they had the bike. Police were also useless.

When i had my Duke2 soon as i got it home i had an alarm fitter round fiitting and expensive alarm. £300+ but cant remember the exact price.

I was at the pub, bike parked up infront of the door in full veiw of where i was sat in the pub, and yes the door was wide open.

I was chatting away with mates having a laugh then someone at the bar said is that your alarm going off… I hadnt even realised even after parking it so i could purposely see the bike. If it wasnt for the fact i used a disc lock aswell they would of wheeled my bike rite away.

They were still trying to take it with the alarm wailing away and didnt bolt untill i came runnin out the pub. I chased them round the corner where somone was sat in a car, engine running and they all drove off. I did try chase them down but by the time i got back to my bike unlocked it and got going they where long gone, never got the regt but saw what car it was so when searching for it with no joy. Thats proberbly a good think cause i would most likely of ended up in a ditch and they’d of been off with my bike along with the keys

A dude nearly got his daytona 675 nicked outside my work in central croydon a couple of weeks ago.

no chain, no disc lock, but the alarm went off.

we park our bikes right behind the smoking area - 2 women were stood there and shouted at the dude, but he’d already put a pole through the ignition barrel and set the alarm off before they noticed, even though they were only 7 or 8 feet away - i guess thats how easy it is.

the dude jumped back on his mates scoot as pillion and they left it - for my money that was a combo of alarm and witnesses that stopped it getting nicked.

- Where was it parked? Home, street, public car park

Parked outside a place I was living at the time. On a drive, down a private road in Chislehurst. Honda CBR600rr HM Plant rep.

between 12am and 3.30am. I was up till 12am and it was just outside my window.

- How was it secured? Chained to something solid, alarmed, disc locked, garaged
ground anchor, 2 python chains and alarm, immob. no disc lock-

How did they get away?
cut chains, sorted alarm and lifted into the van-

Anything else?

no cctv, neighbour heard something but went back to bed. I walked out at 4am to find it gone. sad times. Was my baby…:angry:

Dude they seriously wanted your bike after all that effort!!

By the way on the Datatool site it suggests that you don’t need an alarm “Coupled with the Fortress is the Datatool® Python chain. Now this is where security gets serious - you need semtex to crack this monster . It’s huge, weighing in at 5.5 kilos, and it will give you a little bit more sleep at night.”:stuck_out_tongue:

Obviously joking before anyone starts with the Almax response or captain what’s his face who cuts up chains!!

For those of you that have had an attempted theft
- Where were you parked?
Public bike bay. Broad day. SW1 Kings Road.

- What stopped them?
Xena Alarm DiscLock.

- Anything else?
The thief’s were both on a scooter (one pillion). They had a crowbar or maybe a bolt cutter.
They had a good 30 sec go at braking it. I guess they gave up because of the noise and attracting attention.
They probably never knew I had a 2nd alarmdisc lock on the back wheel too.

**For those that have had their bike nicked

• Where was it parked? Home, street, public car park
  • How was it secured? Chained to something solid, alarmed, disc locked, garaged
  • How did they get away?
  • Anything else?**

Parked in firms/public car park
Secured by a fairly decent disc lock. headset locked. Datatag.
Get away. Don’t know. It was there at 4:00 pm, gone at 4:30 pm.

They used a commercial freezer spray to embrittle the disc lock and then split it apart with a nut splitter. (I recovered the split lock and an empty can of freezer spray.)

Datatag was useless because Woolwich police were useless.
Had to explain Datatag to the desk oik and tell him to record that it had that.
They didn’t want the broken lock or the freezer spray can for forensics, despite them having some nice clear greasy fingerprints (not mine) and having been collected up in clean freezer bags.

When I got to speak to the duty sergeant, I was pretty much told “We can’t be arsed just for a motorcycle”

Very sorry for all those who have had their baby stolen - but this thread is turning into “How to steal a motorcycle” - and we bet some of them are reading it.

I disagree. All going well, we might learn what works and what doesn’t.

The freezer spray/nut splitter trick only works on cast locks. (If you have one of those, go buy something else p.d.q.) And you think the scrotes out there didn’t know about that trick already? I expect they also know it works on cheap steel chains as well. (Again, if you have one of those, go buy something better p.d.q.)

I, and now others, also know that Datatag is a waste of money.

Sorry OG, was not having a pop at you. Looks like we have also found out that Woolwich police aren’t top of the cops either;)

I’d like to see em try to get mine. Anybody reading this, feel free to have a crack, bike is stored at

2 Arnsberg Way Bexleyheath Kent DA7 4QS :smiley:

Hopefully, some people will learn what has stopped them in the past. :slight_smile:

And after reading Ollie’s thread about his bike being stolen, it would appear that Road Angel trackers aren’t much use either!

Benp1 - Great idea for a thread and one I wish had been going for years.:wink:

One thing can everybody state the model/year of bike so we can judge what is desirable by these scum? Especially for those determined thefts

Only if people advertise the make and model of the security features they’re using. Otherwise thieves will just turn up as prepared as they normally would be even if they don’t know what you’re using…but chances are they’ve already watched you for a few days and monitored your routine and the security equipment you’re using.

Actually Trackers are the best thing you can fit as people rarely take notice of alarms. It isn’t the system that’s letting people down, its the lack of resources available to Police to trace it.

Datatag isn’t a waste of money providing you use all the stickers in covert parts of the bike and maintain the records. You may think its a waste but for someone like me who often has to confirm a vehicles true identity, Datatag numbers help to ensure I can match stolen bikes/parts to their owners. The stickers are very versatile! :smiley:

If anyone wants any advice on this sort of thing, ie, where to place them etc, then please feel free to ask me. I can’t divulge the secrets of Autocrimes but I can certainly offer advice.

Actually Trackers are the best thing you can fit as people rarely take notice of alarms. It isn’t the system that’s letting people down, its the lack of resources available to Police to trace it.

[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more but what I’m saying is that the Road Angel tracker system is a bit pointless if there’s next to no resources available to trace your bike if it goes missing.

The Tracker version at least has plenty of Police cars and helicopters fitted with the detection equipment, according to their website there’s 1500 cars and 30 helicopters with the equipment fitted. According to one of their engineers, Tracker’s service vans are also fitted with receivers.

Sometimes its a case of which system gets the best advertising as to whether it is ‘adopted’ by Police etc.

your telling me. I was gutted. They must have watched me for a few days etc and seen my movements of shift patterns.

Oh well. New bike, new security, new location, new job, + 2 dogs! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I’m amazed at the lengths they can go to, and the sheer balls of them to try it in plain view

I use an Almax chain where I’m concerned about it, I might start using my alarmed disc lock again when I haven’t got the chain with me

Sorry for all the losses, they sound real painful

Having seen the ease with which Smiled managed it last night I wouldn’t bet on it:D Pulled up on his bike and the gates opened as if by magic. “As you can see, great security we have here” were the words of the officer beside me.:stuck_out_tongue: