Laser Eye Surgery

[]

Had my eyes lasered a few years ago and have not had any problems whatsoever. Riding at this time of year means there is quite a lot of riding in the dark and I have not noticed any negative effect.

The treatment itself is not painful, just a little uncomfortable for a while afterwards and a little Clockwork Orange when they administer the procedure.

The advice given is sound, research the various kinds and choose the one which is right for you; if you decide to go ahead.

I have an astigmatism so lenses are a pain as the toric ones never sat properly, so now I wear specs again. I was thinking about having my eyes zapped but wanted to wait until the technology got a bit better. But now I’m an old fart, I’d just be swapping one kind of glasses for another so I don’t think I’ll bother. I find that I can’t see things up close with my glasses on so I just look under them and that’s fine, but when I’ve got lenses in I can’t see, so if I had my eyes lasered I’d just have to put glasses on to see things up close so what would be the point.

I do know people younger than me who have had them done and they’re delighted not to have to bother with glasses or lenses, as they’re pretty expensive if you add up a few years’ worth.

Riding with glasses is fine, it’s just a pain putting the helmet on and off. And if it’s cold out, I have to make sure I have my visor up a tiny bit when riding slowly or stopped at traffic lights so I don’t steam up.

I considered lasering last year because I was fed up having to put on glasses to see distance and I hate wearing glasses anyway. The laser people said that, after surgery, I would have to wear glasses for close work which is ridiculous because most of my work is up close. They advised having one eye lasered and said that my eyes would compensate. I wasn’t sure and they suggested trying a contact lense in one eye to see if that was OK. I haven’t looked back since. Didn’t bother with surgery because the lense worked OK ,and couldn’t see the point of spending out. Just put a lense in one eye each morning and it’s marvellous.

I have ended up with a focal point about 15/20 feet away the rest is slightly blured, but do just pass the driving required sight.Don’t get me wrong I am glad I had it done but it did not turn out as good as it could have.

As you guys are talking about lasik lasers you’d probably tried contact lenses. Have any of you tried www.lenstore.co.uk? Just wanted to know if you had any feedback on them as I might be buying from them.

Jo

Hello, I tried to get into the Fire Brigade a few years ago and got binned as I was very very slightly short sighted. I said I would go and have lazer surgery if it helped but they told me they don’t take on anyone thats had the procedure as it effects the night vision. This may have changed now though as it was some years ago.

I now wear All Day/All Night contact lenses. You can keep them in for the whole month and you don’t even know they’re there. Don’t have to keep fumbling about sticking your fingers in your eyes!

I had it dong 2 years ago had the expensive one (donno the name) good deal from Vision express in london did wear glasses but dont now so happy but my left eye is not as good as the right so think i need a touch up

i use http://www.contactlenses.co.uk/ they are brilliant,

cheap and fast :wink:

Same here. But it has changed. You now have to wait 2 years after the operation before you can join. My eyesight is fairly poor, and I wear montly contact lenses.

I had it done 3 years ago and it has been brilliant - gone from -4.5 to 20/20 vision. My night vision is no worse than it was before i had it done and I do get a little halo’ing but nothing to put me off riding at night.

It’s amazing how quickly you take good vision for granted (after 20 years of wearing glasses/contact lenses).

Only thing I notice now is really close stuff is harder to focus on - but suspect that is because I am naturally reaching the age when you need reading glasses.

I used Ultralase on Tottenham Court Road and they were very professional.